Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Robocop (film) reboot

United States
    Thought it looked better than expected, but still only *meh* at best. Not going to theater to see. Might catch on DVD, but no burning desire to do so.

Administrator

England
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    My move? Pass.

Super Moderator

UK
    What's with the "//" marks?

Ireland
    He can't find the next folder in his program.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    He can't find the next folder in his program.
    HA!

*nerd-five*

United States
    If you ask me honestly...i probably wont see it. As i think i heard Joel Kinnaman say that "he'll do a better job at playing Robocop then Peter Weller did"...Really Joel, Really lol. I think you need your head checked my friend. Ill promise you, you wont be able to touch Peter Weller's Robocop performance.

Super Moderator

UK
    One thing that just sprang to mind - it was mentioned that 'they kept his hand because a machine isn't legally allowed to fire a gun' ... but in one or more shots of the trailer you can see him dual-wielding weapons, one in his human hand, and one in his robot hand ... so that's null-and-void, then.

Yeah RF85, Peter Weller's performance was a good one, and it's so well-known too - iconic - Kinnaman will never be able to beat it.

United States
    That's like IF Jackie Earl Hailey said he could do a better Freddy than Englund. He CREATED the character. So, if that's true, dude just shot himself in the foot. With his robot hand.
    Last edited by Trancelikestate; 14-Sep-2013 at 10:09 AM. Reason: ...

Administrator

England
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    There was a little more intrigue for me in that second trailer - the stuff with having these robots all over the world 'keeping the peace' in foreign warzones etc, but America refuses to have them on their own turf (a thinly veiled guise for "drones"?) until they PR something into existence.

Still though, that's an awful lot of CGI ... I look at that and when he (and they) starts leaping about I just think it's a comic book or a cartoon show. As if the robots don't have enough weight to their movements ... look at Avatar, with those mech-suit deeleys, and they lumber and jolt with a real sense of weight, and it feels much more real.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Still though, that's an awful lot of CGI ... I look at that and when he (and they) starts leaping about I just think it's a comic book or a cartoon show. As if the robots don't have enough weight to their movements ...
    Indeed, this superhuman ninja stuff just doesn't come across as real/believable. His remaining cells/organs would get turned to paste by the g-forces. But why let reality and common sense get in the way of action scenes

Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    look at Avatar, with those mech-suit deeleys, and they lumber and jolt with a real sense of weight, and it feels much more real.
    You know, I watched that just the other night... Mmmmmmm Demi Moore and Chunky Monkey!
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    If you guys aren't even willing to give it a chance, why bother? Of course it probably won't live up to the original, but you guys are just setting yourselves up to hate it. Even before we saw a second of footage some of you had already decided it was crap. Granted, most remakes are, but you have to at least give it a shot in it's own terms....

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    If you guys aren't even willing to give it a chance, why bother? Of course it probably won't live up to the original, but you guys are just setting yourselves up to hate it. Even before we saw a second of footage some of you had already decided it was crap. Granted, most remakes are, but you have to at least give it a shot in it's own terms....
    Do you think we just pluck these opinions out of the air? Or do you think we maybe pick up on certain things?

Personally that last trailer lifted my expectations a bit.

But as has been said, we can see a few problems in what's demonstrated in this trailer and other media. For example the ridiculous physics, where we're once again heading into "need a cool scene" territory, no matter what the expense to the script or plain common sense.
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    You know, I watched that just the other night... Mmmmmmm Demi Moore and Chunky Monkey!

This is all sounding awfully familiar...

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    But as has been said, we can see a few problems in what's demonstrated in this trailer and other media. For example the ridiculous physics, where we're once again heading into "need a cool scene" territory, no matter what the expense to the script or plain common sense.
    The same school of thought as T3 and T4 with the 'super Terminator' nonsense. In T4 a T-800 totally survives a dousing with molten steel - the same stuff that destroyed the T-800 from the second movie (and, I might add, ended the war forever and destroyed all remaining traces of Cyberdyne tech).

I preferred this trailer over the first for certain reasons, but the first one did leave me awfully cold. I just wasn't feeling it - I don't think RoboCop needs remaking, this is true, and I'm not excited about the remake either. I'll certainly watch it - eventually (i.e. Sky Movies), and who knows it might be cool, but it could just as easily be Total Recall 2012 (which was shite). Although, comparing trailers, RoboCop 2013 looks better than Total Recall 2012. I've not written it off, but I ain't gonna pretend I'm happy about it being remade either.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 08-Nov-2013 at 04:40 PM.