Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread: Robocop (film) reboot

England
    Random observation - Was that Lydia from Breaking Bad?
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Do you think we just pluck these opinions out of the air? Or do you think we maybe pick up on certain things?
    Considering my post said you guys had decided you would hate it before even seeing footage....yeah...that'd be thin air.
    Last edited by bassman; 08-Nov-2013 at 08:45 PM. Reason: .

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Considering my post said you guys had decided you would hate it before even seeing footage....yeah...that'd be thin air.
    Look at my posts though this thread, and show me any negativity without reason? And I certainly haven't said I "hate it!"

There's hope for this film, but I can't say I'm not concerned by some of the choices we've seen. Even subtle things like him keeping his hand/arm. In the original they saved the arm, but decided to chop it off anyway showing they considered Murphy nothing more than a piece of meat - product! In this version they've undoubtly kept it so he can pet his kid and stroke his wife's face with it?

I haven't written it of yet as it may well work on its own terms... Fingers crossed!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    So much CGI ...

Once again - I will see it, eventually, and final opinion is naturally pending - but eeeeee ... so much CGI, so many shots that feel like RoboCop and the ED-209s don't weigh enough (or anything) ... it makes me feel too aware that it's not real, if that makes sense? I fear it'd pull me out of the flick everytime it happens.

Fresh Meat

Aaland
    So this is going to be sequel or something which is coming in 2014 according to that trailer?

Administrator

England
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Speaking of RoboCop, conveniently (and deliberately, of course), there's a new Blu-Ray of the proper flick coming out at the end of the month. I don't know what the special features are set to be, but apparently it's a fresh master (I recall reading that the previous Blu-Ray of RoboCop was pants in the print department), and it's also going to be the "Director's Cut" (i.e. what he had made before the MPAA got their mits on it).

So that's something to look forward to. I've not seen the original in years.

Administrator

England
    Just feels contrived and soulless no?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eR0TuAcjn_c
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    I suppose it's interesting that they don't just do exactly the same thing as the original, but at the same time I'm still very split on what I've seen. I watched a handful of clips via Daily Dead which had two action sequences - and it all looked overly flash, lots of CGI, lots of inhuman smoothness to the movement that didn't feel like it physically existed in real space ... even the ED-209s didn't feel anywhere near as threatening in one battle he had with three of them.

On the other hand there's interesting stuff with them trying to 'market' the idea of RoboCop to the citizens, and getting around the letter of the law etc.

I'm much more looking forward to the Blu-Ray re-release of the original.

United States
    i've seen a few bits in the previews that interest me, such as the use of robotic soldiers overseas and whatnot, but i've seen quite a bit of stuff in the previews that makes me very skeptical of this. the original doesn't really hold a special place in my nostalgia-banks, so i will likely watch this with neutral expectations once it hits the redbox.

United States
    Saw a promo on TV last night. My face:

England
    I'm not going to have a pop at this movie for CGI, because that's how movies are made in the 21st century and that's not going to change...but the clips simply don't have the charm of the original for me.

Robocop and Starship Troopers had a real "comic/graphic Novel" feel to them when they were out back in the day...the "adverts" in RC & ST alone were worth the admission fee.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Super Moderator

UK
    It's not necessarily an issue with CGI in general - it's more related to the physical feel of them - as in, they don't feel like they're existing in normal physical space as the human beings. RoboCop leaping around in a strangely fluid manner just doesn't feel at all real - it feels fake - and I don't buy that it's happening.

You look at something like Gollum - I bought that he was 'real', even though you know he obviously isn't - but his movements were real (motion capture) and he physically affected the environment around him, or interacted with it, that he really felt a part of the 'real world space' that the actors are inhabiting. I don't get anything like that - at all - from all the clips I've seen of this RC remake.

Super Moderator

UK
    Just re-watched the 1987 original for the first time in years, and it still holds up. I got the newly remastered Blu-Ray (and in Director's Cut form - i.e. with the bits cut out for the MPAA re-instated) and it looks pretty darn good. A couple of grainy shots here and there, and the TV sequences are deliberately low-grade, but the film looks very tidy and as it was intended to be seen.

I'd also forgotten just how ultra violent this movie was - Murphy's death, the toxic waste sequence, the spike to the neck, the conference room ED-209 malfunction.

Looks to be a nice compliment of extra features too (gonna dive into those later), so if you don't have an up-to-date copy of the flick then definitely get the new release.