Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A pants-shittingly insane Rambo V synopsis

Christmas Island
    That draft has got to be a fake. If they green light that, I think a very funny action-comedy will be spawned.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusIncredulous View Post
    That draft has got to be a fake. If they green light that, I think a very funny action-comedy will be spawned.

Perhaps he's just pitching a treatment for tropic thunder 2?

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Super Moderator

UK
    There's a considerable amount of people simply falling over. You're gonna fall over when you die by a shot from a massive-ass 50 cal sniper rifle. They're not flying yards, they're getting knocked off their feet. There's a huge difference - also, in some instances, the person is stood on a mound or bit of higher ground, so it makes the natural whoosh back from the force of the bullet more accentuated.

However, yes - the two when Rambo covers Julie Benz are OTT. Does it annoy me at all? No, it was fucking hilarious in the cinema (in a "woah, noiiice!" way, I mean).

Otherwise, all other examples are totally within the realm of completel plausibility - think about it - if someone gives you a bloody good shove, you'll fall back a similar distance - only in this case, the shove is a giant-ass bullet smashing through your body at goodness knows how many miles an hour.

Only the two at 0:50 in that video are like what you guys are complaining about.

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    There's a considerable amount of people simply falling over. You're gonna fall over when you die by a shot from a massive-ass 50 cal sniper rifle. They're not flying yards, they're getting knocked off their feet. There's a huge difference - also, in some instances, the person is stood on a mound or bit of higher ground, so it makes the natural whoosh back from the force of the bullet more accentuated.

However, yes - the two when Rambo covers Julie Benz are OTT. Does it annoy me at all? No, it was fucking hilarious in the cinema (in a "woah, noiiice!" way, I mean).

Otherwise, all other examples are totally within the realm of completel plausibility - think about it - if someone gives you a bloody good shove, you'll fall back a similar distance - only in this case, the shove is a giant-ass bullet smashing through your body at goodness knows how many miles an hour.

Only the two at 0:50 in that video are like what you guys are complaining about.
    I dunno, on the video there're a whole bunch of gun nuts slagging off the guys flying backwards. Unlike a flat-handed shove, the bullet actually passes straight through you, taking with it most of the force. According to the gun nuts, the force pushing the body of the victim should be less than the recoil experienced by the sniper. When someone is shot dead, 99 times out of 100 they just drop flat to the ground - see the famous footage of the Chinese dissidents being shot in the head (at Tianenmen Square, I think) at point blank range. It's with a much smaller calibre weapon, admittedly, but at point blank range the guy's head doesn't even jar to the side as the bullet passes through...

...this is getting morbid

But yeah, I doesn't stop it looking cool in Rambo. If war movies were realistic, all we'd see would be guys crouching in mud for hours on end, occasionally dropping dead from stray bullets.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    According to the laws of physics, equal force is applied to both the sniper AND the victim. If you look at that video, you'll see people being pulled back by wires. Not simply falling over, but yanked backwards several yards. This is completely unrealistic, as in that case the sniper would be yanked backwards with an equal force.

Personally, I enjoy films with a bit of realism because it makes them easier to swallow and it makes the violence for gruesome and engaging. And in a film like this, I could totally do without these unrealistic bendings of physics. Sounds boring? Meh, to me, yanking people backwards with wires is boring. This is a "Hollywood cliché" that I really wished would go away.
    Last edited by EvilNed; 09-Sep-2009 at 05:22 AM.

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    According to the laws of physics, equal force is applied to both the sniper AND the victim. If you look at that video, you'll see people being pulled back by wires. Not simply falling over, but yanked backwards several yards. This is completely realistic, as in that case the sniper would be yanked backwards with an equal force.
    Yeah, in fact, just slightly less would be applied to the victim because the bullet expends some of its energy flying through the air, and then still has enough left to keep moving after passing through the body.

Personally, I enjoy films with a bit of realism because it makes them easier to swallow and it makes the violence for gruesome and engaging. And in a film like this, I could totally do without these unrealistic bendings of physics. Sounds boring? Meh, to me, yanking people backwards with wires is boring. This is a "Hollywood cliché" that I really wished would go away.
    I kinda know what you mean here. Personally, I think it depends on the context of the movie. Obviously a film is allowed to have artistic stylings that defy reality, the same as a poem or a painting - Picasso's paintings are not exactly anatomically correct - because it is an art from. But when those stylings become cliche, or they are done without any artistic merit or do not fit with the overall style of the film, then it's kind of pointless.

Like I said though, I thought the deaths in Rambo were spectacular but silly. I was amused. I understand why others were not, however.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Seems like I remember an episode of Mythbuster in which they tested the "Guy that flies through the air after being shot" myth with some pigs. Obviously they prooved it was all bullshit. But entertaining, anyway...

So yeah.....maybe when this *sigh* "rambo" film bombs horribly Stallone will go back to the first film and see how a REAL film is made. No more superhuman crap like the last three shitty sequels...

Super Moderator

UK
    Regardless of the bitching, the 0:50 second bit in that clip is the major "flying bodies" part, none of the other clips even compare remotely - it's people falling backwards. It's just those two at that one point who get yanked backwards on wires - fun, but unrealistic - but so what?

Gore wise, which was my main point when talking about ballistics, it's apparently spot-on.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    i'll take realism in movies all day long. though if a movie is a nutty sort of comedy, like the hot shots movies, then having people fly through the air is hilarious and fits right in. otherwise i find it irritating.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Regardless of the bitching, the 0:50 second bit in that clip is the major "flying bodies" part, none of the other clips even compare remotely - it's people falling backwards. It's just those two at that one point who get yanked backwards on wires - fun, but unrealistic - but so what?
    Uh, I think we viewed the same clip, but pretty much all of them were flying backwards, not falling backwards. If you fall backwards, then your feet should remain where they were, right? These guys flew backwards.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Uh, I think we viewed the same clip, but pretty much all of them were flying backwards, not falling backwards. If you fall backwards, then your feet should remain where they were, right? These guys flew backwards.
    It's not flying....It's falling....with style!

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    It's not flying....It's falling....with style!
    Maybe the actors were inept at "falling", so the filmmakers decided to "help" them by yanking them backwards with wires.

United States
    Anyway.....I doubt Stallone has what it takes to pull this off. Looking at his recent "comeback" - Rocky Balboa was okay but just a retread of the first film,
    Maybe, it has to do with the fact, that its more mordern so, it appeals more to me but, I consider Rocky 6 the second or third best of the series. With the original being the best and it battling out with Rocky 2 for me.

Rambo was okay in a shut your mind off kind of way but still shit on the original film
    I liked that film. I haven't seen the original so, I guess it must be some film if your calling the newer one 'shit'.

As, for Rambo 5......Rambo vs. a monster, eh...?

I like it.

This is not real right?:

Canada
    This movie is the most important thing ever created by man.

I wish I were half as manly as Rambo. This is gonna be a short movie by my estimates, as Rambo is gonna tear the monster a new asshole with his fists, while gunning down terrorists with the main cannon from an Abrams tank.

Movie of the year, I can see it.

Christmas Island
    IMDB has got a different take on this beast business:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1206885/