Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stephen King's "Under The Dome"

United States

Stephen King's "Under The Dome"

Forgive me or merge me if this has already been posted, but...

From Wikipedia:

On an entirely normal, beautiful fall day in Chester’s Mill, Maine, the town is inexplicably and suddenly sealed off from the rest of the world by an invisible force field. Planes crash into it and fall from the sky in flaming wreckage, a gardener’s hand is severed as “the dome” comes down on it, people running errands in the neighboring town are divided from their families, and cars explode on impact. No one can fathom what this barrier is, where it came from, and when—or if—it will go away. Dale Barbara, Iraq vet and now a short-order cook, finds himself teamed with a few intrepid citizens—town newspaper owner Julia Shumway, a physician’s assistant at the hospital, a select-woman, and three brave kids. Against them stands Big Jim Rennie, a politician who will stop at nothing—even murder—to hold the reins of power, and his son, who is keeping a horrible secret in a dark pantry. But their main adversary is the Dome itself. Because time isn’t just short. It’s running out.

I am actually really looking forward to this. The novel is a whopping 1088 pages in length, and it will take me a good couple of weeks to read it, but I am hoping that it will be a return to form for King (if possible). To say the least, I've been highly disappointed with the vast majority (with a few exceptions) of the work he's done over about the last 15 years or so. I think some of his earlier stuff like "Night Shift", "Pet Semetary", "The Stand", and his writing's under Bachman rank up there as some of the finest horror work ever done though. So, I'm hesitantly looking forward to this release...

Any thoughts?

If the ending is anything like the ending of "The Dark Tower" series though, I may have to set a bonfire and piss the fire out after it has devoured the book. And that's even more impressive considering I live in an apartment.

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

England
    Im looking forward to this as well, Im a big King fan & am always waiting for him to release something new!I enjoyed Cell, Duma key & to a certain degree Liseys story of his recent stuff, but i'll totally agree that they arent a patch on his older stuff! Have you read his book of short stories "just after sunset"? some pretty cool ones in there, especially the one called "N" which is nothing short of brilliant & genuinely creepy!
    Anyway back to the thread, story sounds interesting & im looking forward to giving it a read

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    This sounds most excellent. I'll be picking this up, for sure!

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Sounds cool....but does King even write his own books anymore? I remember hearing that he has people that write for him and then he takes the credits.

Romero and King need to hook up again. What happened to From a Buick Eight? Another one of Romero's failed projects?

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Sounds cool....but does King even write his own books anymore? I remember hearing that he has people that write for him and then he takes the credits.
    Woah, really? I've never heard this before. Where did you hear this rumor? Anyone else read about this?

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Sounds great! Looking forward to this!

However... am I the only one who think the plot sounds a little too much like The Midwich Cuckoos?

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JDFP View Post
    Woah, really? I've never heard this before. Where did you hear this rumor? Anyone else read about this?
    It was a while back, but I had some people tell me that he has "Ghost Writers" and they do uncredited work for him. I don't know if there's any truth to all this...it's just what I heard.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Stephen King still writes his own books, but his vision is deteriorating really fast so I think he's been dictating for awhile now. That's what I heard anyway. What a mysterious man, huh?

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    Sounds great! Looking forward to this!

However... am I the only one who think the plot sounds a little too much like The Midwich Cuckoos?
    ive read a at least 5 comic books with a similar premise over the last 5 years, much as i loved the ending to the dark tower, anyhting thats come after has been a bit meh for me, there was on i read a while back "rose madder" that was good, aside from that it whent "meh" with cell to all out average schitk, hope this is a reutrn to form, but he can only have so many novels left before he has no more average joes in maine being caught in a wierd occurence stories to sell.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Stephen King still writes his own books, but his vision is deteriorating really fast so I think he's been dictating for awhile now. That's what I heard anyway. What a mysterious man, huh?

Dick.

Undisclosed
    Hhhhmmm. A Stephen King novel based in a small Maine town. Wow, like he hasn't tried that one before.

I've never been a big fan of King. Granted, when he gets to a scary or tense moment in his novels, his level of description of the events is positively amazing. However, the biggest turn off for me about his work is that he puts that level of description in everything, which gets very annoying after a time.

When he decides to write a novel about a goverenment investigation into all these odd occurances that seem to be practically wiping out rural Maine, I'll have to pass.

United States
    Wonder how much it was "inspired" by Village of the Damned?

Beware the beast, man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death.
    - 23rd Sacred Scroll, 6th verse

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyebiter View Post
    Wonder how much it was "inspired" by Village of the Damned?
    My thoughts exactly. Just recently got done reading The Midwich Cuckoos (the book upon which Village of the Damned is based) and I couldn't help but notice the huge similarity. Still, I think it sounds interesting though.

United States
    I mentioned before in another thread the book
    "Heart Shaped Box" by Joe Hill.

It is a great read, and for a first novel very impressive.

And yes there is a link to this thread
    Joe Hill is Stephen Kings' son writing under a
    pen name, and his work is really impressive but
    not a carbon copy of his fathers.

He also has a book of short stories as well
    '20th Century Ghosts" also a great book.

And yes I am hoping this new King book
    will be a return to his classic form.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by kortick View Post
    I mentioned before in another thread the book
    "Heart Shaped Box" by Joe Hill.

It is a great read, and for a first novel very impressive.

And yes there is a link to this thread
    Joe Hill is Stephen Kings' son writing under a
    pen name, and his work is really impressive but
    not a carbon copy of his fathers.

He also has a book of short stories as well
    '20th Century Ghosts" also a great book.

And yes I am hoping this new King book
    will be a return to his classic form.
    when my mom used to deliver books for amazon she quit and had a small crate left with 20th century ghosts stuck in the boxes cushioning that she missed so ive had that for like 4 years or something like that and never really read it, it was okay, but felt like a very early dean koontz novel, or a made for tv movie if you get my meaning.