Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Survival of the dead reviews thread

Super Moderator

United States
    Hey Sir Jack, that spoiler info is readable, not that it bothers me in this case. You can add spoiler tags as such, if you like: ["spoiler"]Just remove the quotes around the spoiler and /spoiler and put the spoiling information within the brackets["/spoiler"].

Just an FYI.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Hey Sir Jack, that spoiler info is readable, not that it bothers me in this case. You can add spoiler tags as such, if you like: ["spoiler"]Just remove the quotes around the spoiler and /spoiler and put the spoiling information within the brackets["/spoiler"].

Just an FYI.
    Done.

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Wait... there's nubbin rubbin in this film!!?!?!?

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Slightly off-topic, but who can tell me what's wrong with this picture...

(read the little blurb under the Survival pic)

Like I'm really gonna trust THAT review...
    Attached Images

United States
    I'm getting tired of douche reviewers & sites that can't even be buggered to get the NAMES right of the actors, filmmakers, etc, something that I can do in about 2 seconds on Google any ol' damn time I please.

Fucktards. Get your facts straight or piss off & don't bother me with your amateur so-called review.

United Kingdom
    Jesus Sam Raimi fuckinell
    Kill 'em All

Just been bitten

Undisclosed
    traslation from a italian reviewer. very positive!!

Zombie Revolution
    Review of the film Survival of the Dead (2009)
    ed Luciana Morelli
    Romero brings us to the middle of a zombie-western set on an island surrounded by nature, but an enchanted land burdened by old and new conflicts, populated by dull men who persist in continuing the old personal feuds, heedless of the fact that the world is sinking in an incubator without end.

Few days have passed since the disease of 'dead heads' has begun to spread throughout the planet and nobody seems to know how to escape. The zombies are everywhere, military forces are in disarray, there are no rules or hierarchies. A handful of soldiers so decided to put 'own' and seek safety with their forces and take refuge in a safer place in the city. The perfect place, as suggested by a message issued on the internet by a gentleman of middle age, and Plum Island, an islet off the coast of dalawa, an oasis of outstanding natural beauty where the people know everyone and where it seems that zombies are not yet arrived. In fact the man who appears on video is the founder of O'Flynn, one of the two families that have always lived on the island and between which has been ongoing for years, a violent dispute. Exiled by his countrymen because they were accused of killing unscrupulous friends, relatives and neighbors-turned-zombie, Patrick O'Flynn will join the handful of soldiers to regain their lands and prevent the disease from spreading further. It matters little whether to die, this time permanently, must be the people with whom he spent his entire life, including his daughter. The strategy of the Muldoons, its fierce opponents, is to leave things open chains taking friends and family infected and living with them until the world has not invented a cure.

Romero did not spring, is unwilling and unable to leave his show, even if takes them up in the lagoon. It could not be his first zombie movie in history to land on the red carpet of the Film Festival and what's more even competition for the Golden Lion. We can say that Survival of the DeadSixth chapter of his epic about the undead, which began now more than forty years ago with the complaint it inherent socio-political Night of the Living DeadMarks a new era of zombie films in a broad sense but also in the strict sense. Yes, because the creative spark of Romero seems to have not been exhausted, as has happened to other authors of gender, so that the putative father of the 'dead heads' sets with this Survival of the Dead a new beginning (or a new order, depending on your point of view) for both the living and the dead, a year zero, which promises great, great things for the future.

There is also this time the social-political subtext in the best tradition romeriana and the scenario is not too different from its predecessors. George brings us to the middle of a zombie-western set on an island surrounded by nature, but an enchanted land burdened by old and new conflicts, populated by dull men who persist in continuing the old personal feuds, heedless of the fact that the world is sinking in an incubator without end. A microcosm of incivility in which the disease that is ravaging the world is exacerbated by old grievances that nobody is willing to forget to find the best way to 'survive'.

He could only come from him this revolutionary innovation, from which one of the monsters and undead knows more than anyone in the world, a filmmaker who has created, changed, modernized and made the undead evolve in tandem with the real world without never change too much in their basic characteristics, even aesthetic. Elegantly back Survival of the Dead is the confirmation that seventy played George A. Romero is still the same despite the infirmities. What is amazing is how over the decades has never changed its look polemic about the behavior of the masses, as there has never weakened his sensibilities or his attention, his biting irony and his desire to withdraw from the mental regression a world in disarray.

The universe of his living dead time changes in the opposite than real because Survival of the DeadFollowed the ideal narrative Diary of the Dead (in which a group of film students that we see in flashback filmed with his camera), it is fun to work analyzing the human condition today, showing weakness, greed, fear of losing the honor and possession of things rather than to lose the affections, the inability to adapt, to live together, the lack of tolerance and common sense even in the face of a disaster that will destroy all traces of humanity from the planet.

Survival of the Dead is in line with the latest chapters, but has the great merit of raising new questions and open up new scary scenarios, in short, laying the groundwork for at least two other films about zombies, brand new stories that Romero will tell us, hopefully soon, with his usual lucidity. Man regresses, the zombie moves, like the fantastic universe created by the legendary George.

Released: 10/09/2009

another mixed review.

not bad but relies onhe silly comedy vibe of the movie

http://boxoffice.com/reviews/2009/09...vival-of-t.php
    Last edited by sirjacktorrance; 16-Sep-2009 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Apparently not comedy...

i'll reserve judgment until i see the movie but i'm troubled by some of what i've read about the comedy in this film. there is a very thin line in a movie like this between using comedy to break up tension a bit and give the audience a break and comedy sinking the film. if you go too far with it, you can quickly find yourself in the quicksand of self parody and ridiculousness, resulting in the destruction of the films entire tone.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Just been bitten

Undisclosed
    Last edited by sirjacktorrance; 16-Sep-2009 at 01:43 PM.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    How do you find all these? You must spend a lot of time searching...

Super Moderator

United States
    Probably using a scheduled search feature on google or the like. I do that for some things and they email me a link to every related hit as they are detected by google as being added to the web.

It's a great feature and one of the ways I assume some people were choosing to keep abreast of their Romero and zombie related info.
    Last edited by AcesandEights; 16-Sep-2009 at 02:04 PM.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Just been bitten

Undisclosed
    google notices or blogs, i spend about one or 2 hours a day since sunday.i īm obsesed, uh?

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by sirjacktorrance View Post
    google notices or blogs, i spend about one or 2 hours a day since sunday.i īm obsesed, uh?
    It's a dirty job, but somebodys gotta do it!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by sirjacktorrance View Post
    traslation from a italian reviewer. very positive!!

Zombie Revolution
    Review of the film Survival of the Dead (2009)
    ed Luciana Morelli
    Romero brings us to the middle of a zombie-western set on an island surrounded by nature, but an enchanted land burdened by old and new conflicts, populated by dull men who persist in continuing the old personal feuds, heedless of the fact that the world is sinking in an incubator without end.

Few days have passed since the disease of 'dead heads' has begun to spread throughout the planet and nobody seems to know how to escape. The zombies are everywhere, military forces are in disarray, there are no rules or hierarchies. A handful of soldiers so decided to put 'own' and seek safety with their forces and take refuge in a safer place in the city. The perfect place, as suggested by a message issued on the internet by a gentleman of middle age, and Plum Island, an islet off the coast of dalawa, an oasis of outstanding natural beauty where the people know everyone and where it seems that zombies are not yet arrived. In fact the man who appears on video is the founder of O'Flynn, one of the two families that have always lived on the island and between which has been ongoing for years, a violent dispute. Exiled by his countrymen because they were accused of killing unscrupulous friends, relatives and neighbors-turned-zombie, Patrick O'Flynn will join the handful of soldiers to regain their lands and prevent the disease from spreading further. It matters little whether to die, this time permanently, must be the people with whom he spent his entire life, including his daughter. The strategy of the Muldoons, its fierce opponents, is to leave things open chains taking friends and family infected and living with them until the world has not invented a cure.

Romero did not spring, is unwilling and unable to leave his show, even if takes them up in the lagoon. It could not be his first zombie movie in history to land on the red carpet of the Film Festival and what's more even competition for the Golden Lion. We can say that Survival of the DeadSixth chapter of his epic about the undead, which began now more than forty years ago with the complaint it inherent socio-political Night of the Living DeadMarks a new era of zombie films in a broad sense but also in the strict sense. Yes, because the creative spark of Romero seems to have not been exhausted, as has happened to other authors of gender, so that the putative father of the 'dead heads' sets with this Survival of the Dead a new beginning (or a new order, depending on your point of view) for both the living and the dead, a year zero, which promises great, great things for the future.

There is also this time the social-political subtext in the best tradition romeriana and the scenario is not too different from its predecessors. George brings us to the middle of a zombie-western set on an island surrounded by nature, but an enchanted land burdened by old and new conflicts, populated by dull men who persist in continuing the old personal feuds, heedless of the fact that the world is sinking in an incubator without end. A microcosm of incivility in which the disease that is ravaging the world is exacerbated by old grievances that nobody is willing to forget to find the best way to 'survive'.

He could only come from him this revolutionary innovation, from which one of the monsters and undead knows more than anyone in the world, a filmmaker who has created, changed, modernized and made the undead evolve in tandem with the real world without never change too much in their basic characteristics, even aesthetic. Elegantly back Survival of the Dead is the confirmation that seventy played George A. Romero is still the same despite the infirmities. What is amazing is how over the decades has never changed its look polemic about the behavior of the masses, as there has never weakened his sensibilities or his attention, his biting irony and his desire to withdraw from the mental regression a world in disarray.

The universe of his living dead time changes in the opposite than real because Survival of the DeadFollowed the ideal narrative Diary of the Dead (in which a group of film students that we see in flashback filmed with his camera), it is fun to work analyzing the human condition today, showing weakness, greed, fear of losing the honor and possession of things rather than to lose the affections, the inability to adapt, to live together, the lack of tolerance and common sense even in the face of a disaster that will destroy all traces of humanity from the planet.

Survival of the Dead is in line with the latest chapters, but has the great merit of raising new questions and open up new scary scenarios, in short, laying the groundwork for at least two other films about zombies, brand new stories that Romero will tell us, hopefully soon, with his usual lucidity. Man regresses, the zombie moves, like the fantastic universe created by the legendary George.

Released: 10/09/2009

another mixed review.

not bad but relies onhe silly comedy vibe of the movie

http://boxoffice.com/reviews/2009/09...vival-of-t.php

Definitely more positive than the american reviews we've been reading. They just have a different sense of art and film making in europe. Anyone ever think that if GAr spent his career in Europe instead of here that he would be more appreciated?

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Just been bitten

Undisclosed
    mmm i dont know...
    here in spain thereīs a lot of haters too. But there is not a Romero cult like in the states.Here is not well known.but in france thereīs a lot of fans of carpenter and romero..

i think the Us reviewers focus mainly in the execution and the final look while europeans valore the single fact that romero makes movies in an old school sense that itīs difficult to find out there.