Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Survival of the dead reviews thread

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post

Hey, I've gone on record a few times about my expectations being low, yet open minded (relatively speaking, anyway).
    Yep, yep, yep... that's true. All on record.

But...

What if this was the best of any of GAR's previous works?
    Yer letting the "what ifs" creep in.

Oh, it all starts harmlessly with a little "what if" thinking. "What if it's his best work. We all know it won't be... but what if?" Then it turns into optimistic rationalization. "Those dock pics looked Kewl! If the whole movie is like that, wowza!!" And then the inevitable refuting of the facts. "So bloody-disgusting gave it a 3 out of 10. I mean, what do those guys know of horror?!?"

It's a slippery slope that ends with you sitting in a theater with a huge grin on yer face. And 90 minutes later all you got is regret and anger and the warmth generated from all the flames you spew out here. It's no way to live man.

We all want the "what ifs" to be true, Aces, we all do. But you can't let em in. You just can't. They'll eat ya up inside.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Trin View Post
    But seriously, I'm not sure there can be an apples to apples comparison between the original 3 and today's GAR offerings. Not so much because movies have changed, but because WE have. Most of us watched the originals as youngsters, when loving movies was more an emotional reaction than a well-formed dissection of plot and cinemetography and whatnot. Overcoming that emotional nostalgia is hard.
    Well said indeed. One of the most insightful summations I've seen. Well done.

Super Moderator

United States
    We all want the "what ifs" to be true, Aces, we all do. But you can't let em in. You just can't. They'll eat ya up inside.

Did you just try and give me the ol' 'If wishes were fishes' life lesson?

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

That if that isn't a life lesson that can be applied to virtually any situation then I don't know what is.

You should write fortune cookies dude.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    Did you just try and give me the ol' 'If wishes were fishes' life lesson?
    Mostly I just want you to have really stellar expectations walking into the theater. That will be a really fun train wreck for the rest of us to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    You should write fortune cookies dude.
    I have tons...
    "It's never too late to be proactive."

"Positive thinking is great but it's no substitue for actual thinking."

"If you don't have anything good to say then say something so bad it leaves your victim broken and incapable of reply."

"If at first you don't succeed make sure to fail so utterly that you become legend."

United States
    I have tons...
    "It's never too late to be proactive."

"Positive thinking is great but it's no substitue for actual thinking."

"If you don't have anything good to say then say something so bad it leaves your victim broken and incapable of reply."

"If at first you don't succeed make sure to fail so utterly that you become legend."

You missed your true calling in life...you could have fortune & glory in the T-Shirt or Motivational Poster field...

Just been bitten

Undisclosed

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    This reminds me of the healthcare debate.

People on both sides saying all kinds of things. Meanwhile the people in the middle don't know what the hell to believe.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Just been bitten

Undisclosed
    Fanttic fest reviews:

positive:
    http://www.vivalageek.com/?p=6603

(positive)Quint of aintitcool:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/42514

Being Attacked

Undisclosed
    Devin Faraci from CHUD:

"A truly solid film that looks like a movie, Survival of the Dead is, hands down, the best Dead film since Day. Sure, that sounds like faint praise, but read on."

http://chud.com/articles/articles/20...EAD/Page1.html

Administrator

England
    +ve from AICN

I wouldn’t call it a return to form, but this is definitely Romero on an upswing. It’s not his best movie, but it’s very far away from his worst.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

England
    Quote Originally Posted by sirjacktorrance View Post

(positive)Quint of aintitcool:

And some people might have a problem with a couple of the more Looney Tunes moments (there’s literally a scene with a giant bundle of dynamite that might as well have ACME stamped on it), but then again this is the man who ended his masterpiece with a damn pie fight.
    For me, this alone makes the film worth seeing.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    For me, this alone makes the film worth seeing.
    I belive we've seen little glimpses of that scene - the dude lobbing that bunch of dynamite through a door he opens briefly before closing, then the building explodes ... yeah, that looked enjoyable - the crew rather liked it as I remember.

Interesting to see a lot of positive reviews flooding forth now, after the inevitable knee-jerk bitch-fest from a bunch of mainstream nob'eds hopping on a bandwagon like they always do.

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I belive we've seen little glimpses of that scene - the dude lobbing that bunch of dynamite through a door he opens briefly before closing, then the building explodes ... yeah, that looked enjoyable - the crew rather liked it as I remember.

Interesting to see a lot of positive reviews flooding forth now, after the inevitable knee-jerk bitch-fest from a bunch of mainstream nob'eds hopping on a bandwagon like they always do.
    Yup.

I think this is probably the most confusing one though.

http://www.quietearth.us/articles/20...AL-OF-THE-DEAD

What's that? A 6 out of 10 for a film which has been panned so badly, the master himself even said on stage "we'll see if you like it"? A film so atrocious, every aspect of it, and I mean every, was so horrific that my Austin partner in crime got a headache from watching it? A film so terribly rendered that George has clearly taken a step backward into "who gives a f***" land and, I would guess, just wants to make a few bucks as he's missed out on the entire sub-genre he created? I walked into that screening knowing full well it was going to be terrible, and the man has certainly undone any effort he put in his last 2 outputs and created something so haphazardly put together that it was actually kind of good.
    ??????
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Just been bitten

Undisclosed
    Last edited by sirjacktorrance; 29-Sep-2009 at 07:56 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost