Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Survival of the dead reviews thread

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    http://www.joblo.com/index.php?id=28802

So, the film is a fun but ultimately forgettable mish-mash, comic book romp. It’s recommended for anyone of the genre. For fans of Romero in particular, though, satisfaction of another masterpiece is still out of reach.

Just been bitten

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    they gave it a 7/10...
    but itīs not very exciting....
    one thing i love in george movies itīs the replay(endless)value..

United States
    I don't trust any review that states, "I walked into that screening knowing full well it was going to be terrible." That has self-fulfilling prophecy all over it.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Trin View Post
    I don't trust any review that states, "I walked into that screening knowing full well it was going to be terrible." That has self-fulfilling prophecy all over it.
    I agree with you 100%. But let's be honest....most people will be walking into a new Romero Dead film with this in mind, ya know?

Undisclosed

Northern Ireland
    I read through the first 3 pages of this thread and I've come to an astonishing conclusion. 90% of you are Yes Men and hang on GARs nuts waaaaay too tightly, seriously.

It's embarrassing, is it that hard to remove your rose tinted glasses and see his (recent) films for what they really are? Utter tripe. If there was any other film, by any other film maker and that film received so many negative reviews before it was released, you'd all be saying "I'll be skipping that shit fest." But it's different with GAR, you'll fight the critics to the death. No doubt, this post will incite you further, but c'mon... Time to wake up and smell the coffee... GAR, the innovator of old, is gone and should hang up those massive glasses of his.

Edit: read pg4, it seems some are coming to their senses, though others still refuse to believe!
    Last edited by paulannett; 29-Sep-2009 at 03:57 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by paulannett View Post
    I read through the first 3 pages of this thread and I've come to an astonishing conclusion. 90% of you are Yes Men and hang on GARs nuts waaaaay too tightly, seriously.
    I wouldn't have put it like that because talk like that is not conducive to a civil, productive debate.

That being said there's no doubt that people's opinions of his films are skewed.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Super Moderator

United States
    This can't be a surprise to you.

Do I really need to tell you to read a couple more threads and you'll find there are people who hate, people who love and people who are in the middle.

Of course, there's also people who hate on those who love and those who loathe thems that hates, and what can really be said of those folks?

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Super Moderator

UK
    As I always say, heaven forbid people come to a website dedicated to Romero who love his work and are hopeful for his new flicks.

I mean, how dare they!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    As I always say, heaven forbid people come to a website dedicated to Romero who love his work and are hopeful for his new flicks.

I mean, how dare they!
    Yeah, if you notice people who show up on these boards with that attitude have very short lifespans here.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland

I mean, how dare they!
    +1

If we really didn't like his film and had not hope for the next one, most of us wouldn't be here. Diary was a good throwaway zombie flick that didn't live up to expectations, but I'm not prepared to turn my back on the series just because of a couple of sub-per additions. Like I said, I don't have the time to spend ages posting on forums about movie franchises I no longer care about.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I agree with you 100%. But let's be honest....most people will be walking into a new Romero Dead film with this in mind, ya know?
    With the acceptance of Land and Diary so all over the map, and reviews of Survival so mixed and at the same time so polar, I don't know how anyone could walk into this movie expecting anything, love or hate.

At this point I'm just waiting it out. I will literally walk into the theater with nothing more than some hope, some popcorn, and an enduring belief that GAR's best Dead movies are not necessarily behind him.

It's embarrassing, is it that hard to remove your rose tinted glasses and see his (recent) films for what they really are?
    I'll grant you that GAR is given all the chances in the world around here, but hey, the man made Night, Dawn, and Day of the freakin Dead. That's enough to cement a legacy, not get hit with a bunch of "what have you done for me lately" talk.

As for rose tinted glasses, I don't see too much of that on these boards in general. Opinions range from fanboy to complete flame regarding GAR's recent movies, but most tend to be moderated and thought out whether they be favorable or otherwise.

Northern Ireland

I mean, how dare they!
    Ah okay, so when 9/10 reviews say it is rubbish, you'll kindly ignore those ignorant fools and watch the film to make up your own mind (it'll be like remembering old ex-girlfriends imo, you remember the great and funny times and they'll seem so much more substantial compared to all the shitty times which you'll sweep under a rug). But if Michael Bay releases Transformers 3, his film is met with terrible reviews, you'll shit over him and his film without giving it a chance and making up your own mind.

Heaven forbid you look at his films with some objectivity and not be all doe eyed.

Kraken, saying his new films are shit does not affect the original trilogy in the slightest, so you wouldn't be turning your back on anything. Don't be so melodramatic.

Trin, I agree that his original trilogy has cemented a legacy for Romero. But past glories are exactly that. At some point, purely relying on past glories to get you everywhere is really quite sad. At what point do you start accepting that maybe he is past it? Land was gash, Diary was gash, what of Survivors then? If it's a piece of shit too, that means half of his dead films officially suck balls, all of which were made in the past 5 years, which is a good indicator that he is done.

darth los, it's an image that I hold strongly in my head... As unpleasant as it is. It also perfectly describes what I'm trying to say.

I'll watch Survivors and I hope to be pleasantly surprised, but I'd hoped to be pleasantly surprised by his last two films and what did that get me?

Blind faith.
    Last edited by paulannett; 29-Sep-2009 at 09:37 PM.

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Kraken, saying his new films are shit does not affect the original trilogy in the slightest, so you wouldn't be turning your back on anything. Don't be so melodramatic.
    That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that because the last two films were not classics doesn't mean he will never make a really good film again. In my own experience/opinion, the last two were not nearly as bad as many people make out (although they lack the re-watch value of the trilogy), but even if they were horrendous, that doesn't preclude the prospect of other, better films in the future.

Bear in mind that after Night, he made There's Always Vanilla and Season of the Witch, both of which are by all accounts terrible, and it was only with the rough but decent The Crazies that he started to hit an upswing. It was 1977's Martin when he finally hit his stride again. Now, I've read a lot of good reviews of Survival, and I've read a smiliar number of bad reviews, but all-in-all I've seen more good reviews for this than Diary got in the early days of its festival tour. As I said, I didn't hate Diary, but it wasn't particularly entertaining, mainly because Romero seemed constrained by the shooting style and the film was marred with some irritating characters. As a Romero zombie film it was just passable, but as a zombie film in general it was okay. So if Survival entertains me more than Diary, as I expect it to (but I'm not banking anything on it emotionally), I'll be happy. I don't care if the characters in this are cartoons, so long as they don't bore me. My one hope is that it has the Romero "feel" that was bled from Diary by the shooting style and dull characters.

Northern Ireland
    Kraken, this is going to be a short reply.

I agree with you.

I guess I'm just disillusioned to the point of having no faith in him delivering.

It just grinds me (and it's kind of sad that I let it do so) that people completely disregard overwhelming negative reviews because it's about a film they have complete blind faith in.