Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "9/11 was a beautiful thing" claims Lemonhead

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    A very bad choice of words....maybe the percieved sense of "beauty" here is being mis-read or mis-spoken....

The events of that day held a certain beauty to them - I don't think in context of what Lemonhead guy is saying - it showed a great deal of bravery and respect from humanity in their response to the situation, from firefighters, to public, to people donating their money to help families of the victims...beauty DEFINITELY arose from that situation.

The events themselves, were not necessarily beautiful - I think he meant to say "powerful". I mean the events were awesome - but not awesome in the surfer kind of way, I mean it's true definition - a sense of shock, AWE, disbelief...it was powerful...and even today I look at the footage and am still shocked by the scale of what happened...
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Kazakhstan
    They were certainly spectacular, the fact that it is the most documented event in human history is a testimony to it's visual power, but Dando needs to get the dictionary out and learn the difference between "Beauty" and "Power" or "Spectacle", or "Gravity".

I think there's a debate lurking in here about what Beauty really is, I define it as something captivating & engrossing - but that is ultimately not immediately bad or malicious
    "Naturally, the common people don't want war, but they can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.
    Tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and endangering the country.
    it works the same in every country."

-Herman Goering, Hitler's Reichsmarschall, at the Nuremberg trials.

THE LEISURE HIVE

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by _liam_ View Post
    They were certainly spectacular, the fact that it is the most documented event in human history is a testimony to it's visual power, but Dando needs to get the dictionary out and learn the difference between "Beauty" and "Power" or "Spectacle", or "Gravity".

I think there's a debate lurking in here about what Beauty really is, I define it as something captivating & engrossing - but that is ultimately not immediately bad or malicious
    think you're pretty spot on there
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

United States

Well said, Liam.
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

Super Moderator

UK

I would add that "beauty" is something good too. If something is "beautiful", then one of it's defining features must be that it is "good" - 9/11 most definitely wasn't.

Shocking, stunning, visually arresting ... 9/11 was all these things - but in a very bad way.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    OK I'm gonna play devil's advocate with the beauty thing...

Somehow....

Just trying to find something....

OK how about when a cop takes a shot at a hostage taker's head and saves the life of a kid? Beautiful shot?!

that's all I can think of....does beauty have to be good? I don't think it does...I think it just has to "be" and whatever your perception of it defines it as beauty.

Super Moderator

UK
    Even if your "hostage shot" scenario, it is good - it saved the life of an innocent child being held hostage by a criminal.

United States
    beau⋅ty (noun) - the quality present in a thing or person that gives intense pleasure or deep satisfaction to the mind, whether arising from sensory manifestations (as shape, color, sound, etc.), a meaningful design or pattern, or something else (as a personality in which high spiritual qualities are manifest).

Maybe he did find the sight of the towers destruction a thing
    of beauty. Many people in Muslim countries did. So we know
    for a fact there are others who share his statement.

Just like I am sure there are people who would have (and
    probably did) find beauty at the goings on at Nazi concentration
    camps in the early 40s.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Even if your "hostage shot" scenario, it is good - it saved the life of an innocent child being held hostage by a criminal.
    That was my point, but its certainly not beautiful seeing someone shot in the face....!

Ireland
    Well, not trying to speak up for Evan Dando, who's a feckin twat in my book (long before now), but, things of horror/destruction can be considered "beautiful" even if the are macabre. For instance, I've often heard the term used when people talk about the mushroom clouds of nuclear explosions, in that it looks "beautiful".

And the linear "straight down" destruction of the WTC buildings may well have looked "beautiful" to some because of it's neat fall. In the way controlled explosions may look "beautiful" too.

Either way, it was a really dizzy thing to say. But I spose he needs a bit of exposure.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....