Thread: Euro project to arrest us for what they think we will do

Super Moderator

UK

Euro project to arrest us for what they think we will do

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/09...ction_project/

Radical Think Tank Open Europe has this week exposed a study by the EU that could lead to the creation of a massive cross-Europe database, amassing vast amounts of personal data on every single citizen in the EU.

The scope of this project also reveals a growing governmental preference for systems capable of locking people up not for what they have done, but for what they might do.
    To develop a platform for: the registration and exchange of operational data, acquisition of multimedia content, intelligent processing of all information and automatic detection of threats and recognition of abnormal behaviour or violence, to develop the prototype of an integrated, network-centric system supporting the operational activities of police officers.
    Shami Chakrabarti, the director of human rights group Liberty, described this approach as a "sinister step" for any country, but "positively chilling" on a European scale.

Stephen Booth added: "The problem with the EU funding these types of projects is the lack of accountability. Citizens are left completely in the dark as to who has approved them and there is no way to ensure that civil liberties are being duly respected.

"The absence of any political debate about the use of these new surveillance technologies in our society is a very dangerous trend, which is especially acute at the EU level."
    The introduction of predictive models into society appears to be carrying on apace, with very little public debate as to how desirable they are, or how the state should compensate citizens where mistakes occur. There is also a blurring of the lines between predicting a threat – in which case law enforcement officers can be asked to investigate – and simply predicting criminality and penalising an individual on the basis of something they have not yet done.
    Speechless.

England

Not much else to say really!

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    and theyll put a positive spin on it, like those fucking "retune your freeview boxes" cheery ads to cover the obscenely hostile manouvers the bbc's taking to stop shitting bricks about losing control of british tv. http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2009/09/broadcast-flag-uk

im 100% serious, when i can afford it my cracker ass is moving to canada, it cannot come quit enough, this isnt the country i grew up in.
    Last edited by Danny; 27-Sep-2009 at 11:53 AM.

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    and theyll put a positive spin on it, like those fucking "retune your freeview boxes" cheery ads to cover the obscenely hostile manouvers the bbc's taking to stop shitting bricks about losing control of british tv. http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2009/09/broadcast-flag-uk

im 100% serious, when i can afford it my cracker ass is moving to canada, it cannot come quit enough, this isnt the country i grew up in.
    I'm old enough to remember the Thatcher era, so the sad thing is... this is the country I grew up in... all over again.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    I'm old enough to remember the Thatcher era, so the sad thing is... this is the country I grew up in... all over again.
    somewhere a coal miners dropping his mornin' paper and shedding a single tear.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    The introduction of predictive models into society appears to be carrying on apace, with very little public debate as to how desirable they are, or how the state should compensate citizens where mistakes occur. There is also a blurring of the lines between predicting a threat – in which case law enforcement officers can be asked to investigate – and simply predicting criminality and penalising an individual on the basis of something they have not yet done.
    this is most sinister part of the whole thing. what this really means is that your activity (all of it) could be monitored and if the scumbags running this get some computer print out about your behavior, you could be looking a visit from the police.

man, am i ever glad that i don't live in the late 20th century idiots dreamland known as the EU. the US might have its problems and issues but other than canada or new zealand, you won't find my lilly white self living anywhere else.
    Last edited by Mike70; 27-Sep-2009 at 01:07 PM.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

England
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    Im a bit older than you & my memories of the Thatcher years arent bad,normal childhood with a normal family in a normal village, to be fair I think both of us were too young then to have any real idea about what was going on in politics, so our only experience is based on our parents bitchin' or commending whichever "side" they were on, or reading up on that period of time from articles & reports that are biased either in favour of the government or in favour of the unions depending on which side you think you owe allegiance to..
    Anyway its Labour & their buddies in the EU bringing all this crap in, not a Thatcherite tory government, I just hope that the Irish vote no on the lisbon treaty again so none of this crap can come into fruition

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Gotta love the Irish.

As for this? It's just another stupid EU legislation that'll never pass. The EU is clinging on by a thread in many countries. If this trend continues, then some countries will retire from it. I know at least that in Sweden, people are simply waiting for EU to make a mistake like this so they can leave it.
    Last edited by EvilNed; 27-Sep-2009 at 10:27 PM.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Gotta love the Irish.

As for this? It's just another stupid EU legislation that'll never pass. The EU is clinging on by a thread in many countries. If this trend continues, then some countries will retire from it. I know at least that in Sweden, people are simply waiting for EU to make a mistake like this so they can leave it.
    Well I do rather hope that that happens, that the people wake up to the bureaucratic money-wasting monster of unfairness and top-down-bullying that the EU is, and demand an out.

It's shocking that Ireland is having a second vote, it really is - how can that be at all legal? They had the referendum, they said no, so fucking take their answer and fuck off back to Brussels!

So much for democracy, eh?

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Well I do rather hope that that happens, that the people wake up to the bureaucratic money-wasting monster of unfairness and top-down-bullying that the EU is, and demand an out.

It's shocking that Ireland is having a second vote, it really is - how can that be at all legal? They had the referendum, they said no, so fucking take their answer and fuck off back to Brussels!

So much for democracy, eh?
    Unfortunately it seems the Irish may vote yes this time from what ive been reading, once that happens the shift of power will be huge! Even if they do vote no I think its guaranteed the EU wont give up & will force them to vote a third time till they get the answer they want

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    Unfortunately it seems the Irish may vote yes this time from what ive been reading, once that happens the shift of power will be huge! Even if they do vote no I think its guaranteed the EU wont give up & will force them to vote a third time till they get the answer they want
    I'd like to see them try and force a third vote, even a ship of fools could see that even that is way beyond the pale.

I too have been reading a lot of things suggesting a Yes vote this time - how fickle too, all because of the recession and the Euro and blech ... - however some other things have said a No vote, so there's still a chance.

I think it's sickening that they've had to vote a second time, really sickening.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Im a bit older than you & my memories of the Thatcher years arent bad,normal childhood with a normal family in a normal village, to be fair I think both of us were too young then to have any real idea about what was going on in politics, so our only experience is based on our parents bitchin' or commending whichever "side" they were on, or reading up on that period of time from articles & reports that are biased either in favour of the government or in favour of the unions depending on which side you think you owe allegiance to..
    Anyway its Labour & their buddies in the EU bringing all this crap in, not a Thatcherite tory government, I just hope that the Irish vote no on the lisbon treaty again so none of this crap can come into fruition
    Born in 1981 myself, I certainly witnessed Thatcherism at its worst...it affected my household financially and emotionally and most of my childhood was brought up in poverty due to poll/council tax implementation, widespread unemployment, outsourcing and privatisation.
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

England
    Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicX View Post
    Born in 1981 myself, I certainly witnessed Thatcherism at its worst...it affected my household financially and emotionally and most of my childhood was brought up in poverty due to poll/council tax implementation, widespread unemployment, outsourcing and privatisation.
    I think you can thank Scargill & the previous labour administration for much of that, somebody had to show the trade unions that the government was running the country, not them. Also how was the poll tax any different to the hiked up stealth taxes & inflated council tax the current government have heaped on us? Your going to get a similar situation after next year when this bunch of chancers get booted out of office, cuts are going to have to be made which people arent going to like & it probably will make many of us worse off, but personally I accept it needs to happen because the country is both morally & financially bankrupt.
    I read a sickening thing today though that the slimy labour creep "lord" mandelson is now offering his services to the tories if they should win the next election, I wish that man would take the hint & fuck off out of british politics for good!

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    I think you can thank Scargill & the previous labour administration for much of that, somebody had to show the trade unions that the government was running the country, not them. Also how was the poll tax any different to the hiked up stealth taxes & inflated council tax the current government have heaped on us? Your going to get a similar situation after next year when this bunch of chancers get booted out of office, cuts are going to have to be made which people arent going to like & it probably will make many of us worse off, but personally I accept it needs to happen because the country is both morally & financially bankrupt.
    I read a sickening thing today though that the slimy labour creep "lord" mandelson is now offering his services to the tories if they should win the next election, I wish that man would take the hint & fuck off out of british politics for good!

Hey I'm not suggesting we're better off with labour...!! They've f**ked us over royally just as much, if not more, than the tories...there's really no "lesser" of these evils really.
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.