Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: The Crazies remake

United States
    It's sitting at 79% fresh on rottentomatoes.com with the consensus thinking " tense, nicely shot, and uncommonly intelligent, The Crazies is the rare horror remake that works."

But Roger Ebert didn't like it....so who knows!

United States
    Gets a pretty descent review in todays paper with 3 out of 4 stars

'Crazies' taps into our fear of infection
    Genres: Action, Drama, Horror
    Running Time: 101 min
    MPAA rating: R (for bloody violence and language)
    Release Date: Feb 26, 2010
    Tags: There are no tags. By Glenn Whipp, The Associated Press
    The Charlotte Observer
    Breck Eisner's insane-in-the-membrane update of the George A. Romero cult horror movie "The Crazies" opens with a brief shot of fire, devastation and small-town apocalypse, followed by a title card that takes us back to the same Iowa farm community two days earlier.

We see white-picket fences, clapboard houses and good neighbors, and hear birds warbling and Johnny Cash singing "We'll Meet Again," a song whose title hints at the nature of the alarming events about to transpire. When these Middle American folks do meet again, those pitchforks they're carrying won't be intended for bales of hay.

Romero sandwiched his 1973 "Crazies" in between his more celebrated zombie movies, "Night of the Living Dead" and "Dawn of the Dead," both of which have been remade, too, with varying results.

While "The Crazies" isn't a zombie movie per se, it derives much of its horror from the same fear — the enemy lurks both within and without you. There's a very real chance you might turn into a monster.

Eisner's remake maintains the dynamic of that unease, while Scott Kosar and Ray Wright's screenplay gives the audience a rooting interest by whittling down the political subtext and making the movie more of a survival story.

It helps, too, that Eisner's budget probably exceeds that of all of Romero's movies combined. Eisner puts the money to good use, delivering a beautifully shot film that contains equal measures of style and gore.

We first sense something might not be right in Ogden Marsh when Rory (Mike Hickman) wanders into the middle of the high school baseball field during a game. He's carrying a shotgun and wearing a faraway look in his eyes. The town sheriff (Timothy Olyphant) assumes he's drunk and tries to talk Rory down. He doesn't succeed.

After that, locals begin trickling into the office of the beautiful doctor (Radha Mitchell), complaining of fevers and being tired and not feeling "right." Germs seem to be spreading — and so is the news. Soon, we see Ogden Marsh from satellite, with the words: "Initiate containment protocol." Uh-oh.

Romero made his mark during the Vietnam and post-Vietnam era, and, as he went along, his anti-military broadsides became bolder and more pointed. He split his "Crazies" evenly between the military containment forces and the infected townspeople. Heroes were in short supply.

Eisner narrows the focus to the farm folk, while holding onto the idea of a federal government that will stop at nothing to cover its tracks. Interpret that as you like.

What "The Crazies" really taps into is our pervasive unease over disease, that moment when the person sitting next to you on the subway or airplane or, yes, the movie theater sneezes or breaks into a coughing fit and you realize you're unarmed. Never mind the pitchfork. Just don't leave the hand sanitizer at home.

"The Crazies," an Overture Films release, is rated R for bloody violence and language. Running time: 101 minutes.
    D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

Administrator

England
    Seeing it next Tuesday...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Dying

Undisclosed
    We may finally be getting an excellent apocalyptic type movie. I'm diggin' it!

I'm lovin' this quote.
    While "The Crazies" isn't a zombie movie per se, it derives much of its horror from the same fear — the enemy lurks both within and without you. There's a very real chance you might turn into a monster.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Seeing it next Tuesday...
    Might see it Sunday ... I do wanna see it, the only thing I'm not liking is these stupid veiny people - what's that all about?

Oh yeah, I saw on Bloody Disgusting that GAR himself gave it a thumbs up.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Oh yeah, I saw on Bloody Disgusting that GAR himself gave it a thumbs up.
    Paycheck....

United States
    I got the wife to agree to see this with me. I used the excuse that it was partially filmed in Iowa where I grew up. I give it 20 minutes until she figures out she has been tricked into seeing another zombie movie. (Yes, I know they aren't technically zeds)

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Paycheck....

Does Romero have the rights to the movie to get paid from a remake of it? He's a pretty bad businessman.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
    I got the wife to agree to see this with me. I used the excuse that it was partially filmed in Iowa where I grew up. I give it 20 minutes until she figures out she has been tricked into seeing another zombie movie. (Yes, I know they aren't technically zeds)
    You're evil ... I like that.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    He's got Executive Producer credits on this remake. If i'm not mistaken, this will be the first remake that he's "involved" with outside of Night90.

Super Moderator

UK
    He's got Executive Producer credits on this remake. If i'm not mistaken, this will be the first remake that he's "involved" with outside of Night90.
    I wonder to what extent he was involved with it...?

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I wonder to what extent he was involved with it...?
    If I had to guess, he gave them his blessing as long as he received a check. So with the check in hand.....he's got to say he liked it.

United States
    going to check this out this afternoon...will post a brief review later today.

EDIT: in a nutshell, i was pretty impressed with the film. not too heavy with the CGI effects, good acting, good cinematography. they used a few cheap scare tactics (jump moments), but there also were a few genuinely intense/suspenseful moments. no real surprises, a tad on the predictable side, i would say.

oh, and there's scenes with gas-mask wearing soldiers killing civilians and breaking out the flamethrowers, so that was a nice bonus. at one point a dude was whistling the "battle hymn of the republic", which is a bit of a nod to the original, so you could tell that some of the people behind this film at least watched the first one. oh and there's also a cameo by lynn lowry (the foxy redhead from the original), so that was kinda nifty.

if any romero film could've used a remake, it would have to have been the crazies...while i enjoyed the original, it was pretty low budget, some craptacular acting, and a bit jumbled at times. i liked this updated version just fine. i may even get the dvd when it comes around...no major complaints from my camp, but nothing spectacular or groundbreaking either. a solid effort with no major flaws, so i'd have to give it an 8/10.
    Last edited by ProfessorChaos; 01-Mar-2010 at 09:14 AM.

United States
    The remake ended up with 16.5 million for their opening weekend.

http://boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/

Not bad for a 20 million dollar budget.

Administrator

England
    Let's hope he gets some $$$ from it then!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

United States
    Nice nutshell review, Prof.! I'll try and rustle up some folks to take a look at the film.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany