Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Homepage of the Dead interviews George A Romero

Administrator

England

Homepage of the Dead interviews George A Romero

"Speaking of the Dead"

Lee Karr interviews George A Romero, in "Speaking of the Dead". Lee gets to ask about his latest zombie film... and other interesting stuff too!

Check out this awesome interview in the Bits and Pieces section.

[Click here]
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

capncnut
    Just took me nearly 40 minutes to read that. F**king excellent work, Lee. Bravo! An informative, well-written read that is really worthy of the time. I don't agree with George on a few things but it was still wonderful to hear his thoughts about his movies, opinions on his colleagues (past and present), and the details about the upcoming ...Of The Dead. This is about as close as you're going to get to In Bed With George A. Romero. Take a ganders people, you wont be disappointed.
    Last edited by capncnut; 02-Jul-2009 at 06:46 AM.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Awesome read.

I love it that even Romero admits that Dawn isn't "good".

So there's actual Dawn 3D footage? And here I thought it would probably never happen.
    Last edited by bassman; 01-Jul-2009 at 04:14 PM.

Super Moderator

United States
    Looks like a solid read. I'll either give it a good look through later this afternoon if things slow down enough in the office, or this evening.

I noticed there is no direct link available for the interview. I'd love to post a link a few places I hang online and help get some traffic to it (facebook, for example).

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Very nice interview. I'm very suprised at how candid and honest George is for this interview. It's nice to get look at his "true thoughts".

Administrator

England
    ...and for me... the best things was

...where can I buy one?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by 3pidemiC View Post
    Very nice interview. I'm very suprised at how candid and honest George is for this interview. It's nice to get look at his "true thoughts".

I haven't read it yet but that doesn't suprise me at all. If anything GAR is a real dude. It's probably the reason he never fit in with the hollywood studios.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post

...where can I buy one?

I know!!! Zombie Puppet Romero!

Personally, this validates a lot of what I'm doing...
    Those aren't real problems, Sam.

United States
    Awesome, Lee. You have outdone yourself this time!

Might I add that I am totally envious that you were able to have a nice sit-down with the man, and even got invited to break bread with him - even if you had to decline.

Thxleo, you the man!
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by capncnut View Post
    Just took me nearly 40 minutes to read that. F**king excellent work, Lee. Bravo! An informative, well-written read that is really worthy of the time. I don't agree with George on a few things but it was still wonderful to hear his thoughts about his movies, opinions on his colleagues (past and present), and the details about the upcoming ...Of The Dead. This is about as close as you're going to get with In Bed With George A. Romero. Take a ganders people, you wont be disappointed.

Wow, thank you. I really appreciate the kind words.
    I want to say thanks again to Neil for posting this for me and I hope that everyone will find it an interesting read.

Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
    Awesome, Lee. You have outdone yourself this time!

Might I add that I am totally envious that you were able to have a nice sit-down with the man, and even got invited to break bread with him - even if you had to decline.

Thxleo, you the man!
    Thanks man, glad you enjoyed it!
    Last edited by thxleo; 01-Jul-2009 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Australia
    Amazing stuff, Lee. Just when all his interviews were beginning to read the same, you really brought Romero out of his shell and had him divulge some fascinating stuff. Thanks for your efforts.
    "28 Days Later came out after we started (Dawn 04). Our zombies were running before we knew what their zombies were." - Zack Snyder, LIAR.

United States

Awesome stuff. A great read. What a score!

There are SOOOO many things I'd like to comment on. Here are just a few that jumped out at me.

"It's about a feud, a long standing feud between these two old guys on an island, where it should be safe and it's away from most of the chaos that's happening on the mainland. But these two old guys can't stop shooting at each other and that's more important - the feud is more important to them than trying to address the crisis."
    I like the sound of that. It re-enforces a them that I think you can't repeat enough: we are our own worst enemy. It won't be the zombies that get us, it'll be each other.

"Basically what I want to say is forgive me. I guess the basic thing that bugs me, the biggest thing that bugs me is that fans want me to do either the last movie I did or do another Dawn or do another this or do another that - and that pisses me off! That's not what I'm about! I'm gonna make a movie, look at it, if you don't like it that's fine. If you like it, then I love it. In other words don't punish me because this was not as good as Dawn. This is what I'm thinking right now, I'm making this movie right now, this is what I'm thinking, give it a break! Look at it, maybe it will take you two or three times to look at it, but look at it. All I can say is that I'm trying my best and don't punish me because it's not as "good" as Dawn, because Dawn was not even "good", it was fun, but it wasn't "good". I think this new movie, Blank of the dead, is much better in a cinematic sense than Dawn, but I worry that a lot of people might think it's not."
    And you hope that at least your fans will come around and say 'Woo, cool man we're with you still'. Except that even your fans, even the 19 fans that you have, are split. 19 doesn't split evenly, so it's 10 - 9 liking it, not liking it. C'mon boys, I mean I did this, this was the idea that I had, I did it. C'mon stick with me."
    I'm gladdened & saddened to hear this at the same time. Hopefully George knows that there are still fans out there that are willing to give his films a fair shake & see what he comes up with next. That not every film has to be as "good" as Dawn (what a loaded & subjective term THAT is...) I for one am glad he's still making movies as long as he want's to make them & look forward to seeing them. I hope I'm not alone in that opinion & I hope that that he realizes that there are fans who still feel that way.

"It's not that special! I look at a cheeseburger B-movie on Turner and whoever made that movie was more professional and did a better job than I did on Night. Yet all of a sudden I get these accolades for Night. I know why - there was a black guy, there was social commentary, I know why - but the movie is not that well made. It is not well made AT ALL!"
    This I would SOOOO disagree with. It really shows the humility of the man. There is SO much more to Night than that. I think it's a really artfully made film, given the limitations of of budget, cast, you name it. Some of those opening shots leading up to & in the cemetery? The shots in the house of the stuffed animals & the play of light & shadows? Barbra & the music box? All great stuff. Beyond that, this was a true example of the sum being greater than the parts, of making something out of nothing, whatever. They really captured lightning in a bottle with that one. It's a real perfect storm of events that lined up just the right way to produce something extraordinary.
    So don't sell yourself (& Night) short George!

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GAR (in a moment of madness)
    "It's not that special! I look at a cheeseburger B-movie on Turner and whoever made that movie was more professional and did a better job than I did on Night. Yet all of a sudden I get these accolades for Night. I know why - there was a black guy, there was social commentary, I know why - but the movie is not that well made. It is not well made AT ALL!"
    This was one of the few things that I disagreed with too, Moon. Night Of The Living Dead is a masterpiece!

"Not that well made"... are you kidding?

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post

A skit with Oscar The Grouch on Sesame Street would be great!
    Last edited by capncnut; 02-Jul-2009 at 06:51 AM.

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Awesome read.

I love it that even Romero admits that Dawn isn't "good".

So there's actual Dawn 3D footage? And here I thought it would probably never happen.
    They are making Dawn 3-D right now...http://www.beyondhollywood.com/romer...-and-a-sequel/

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    They are making Dawn 3-D right now...http://www.beyondhollywood.com/romer...-and-a-sequel/
    Can't wait to see what they managed to do with a "direct sequel"
    -Carl Sagan