Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: Robert Rodriguez rebooting Predator?

Undisclosed
    I am curious about this movie, so I may catch an earlier showing during the weekend.

United States
    Predators is a sequel to the first film in the series, ignores events in Predator 2 and the AVP movies.

This is a summer time popcorn action flick. Don't expect deep character development or insightful commentary on the human condition. It's all about surviving in the jungle on an alien planet being hunted by an invisible and unknown enemy.

F/X is decent. Plot feels like it's recycled from the first film. Down to the fact one guy has a minigun and another has the same big knife from the first film.

Characters are like archtypes from a video game - various types of military and criminals representing conflicts from across the globe.

Beware the beast, man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death.
    - 23rd Sacred Scroll, 6th verse

United States
    I'm seeing it in half an hour.
    A couple of off the wall things...
    I didn't know Van Damme was originally supposed to be the Predator. He was a whiny dick and too small compared to the stars so they shitcanned him. Awesome move.
    Also, Adrian Brody is in this. Did anybody else ever see Splice?
    Let's just hope he doesn't try to fuck THIS creepy mutant to death...

I totally forgot there was only one sequel to the original until this. I also thought this was a reboot, though it isn't.
    I'm hoping it'll be good, but I'm getting superbaked just... in... case.

United States
    Sorry to double post, but I done did seen it, I did, I did!!!
    Anyway, it was decent. They showed the Machete trailer before it.
    Very actiony, and the gore wasn't bad. Worth watching on the bigscreen, I'd say. Definitely left it open for more...

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    I mean if you look back on the original Predator movie - it was just a basic actioner - so this new part of the franchise sounds like it's staying pretty close to the original.

It was Alien that had depth, and when the Alien and Predator finally met in AVP, the plot was closer to the original Predator than Alien...nothing to do with someone's struggle against an evil alien species, and more to do with a bunch of people going somewhere, then getting killed.
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    So wait.....how is the original Predator that much different from the orginal Alien? Both films involve a group of people unwillingly sent into a strange environment with a superior hunter. You may like one over the other, but they're very, very similar. Ripe for the crossover series.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    So wait.....how is the original Predator that much different from the orginal Alien? Both films involve a group of people unwillingly sent into a strange environment with a superior hunter. You may like one over the other, but they're very, very similar. Ripe for the crossover series.
    Plot wise, on paper the films are similar - what you've got with Alien is a far more indepth understanding of the human ability to adapt and overcome.

Fundamentally you have one film with a bunch of bad-asses, who have never in the history of the military actually existed, and on the other you've got a vision of the far future where normal people, with no military background, have careers in mining materials from other planets - so one card has a bunch of action film characters, the other tries to put YOU in the driving seat a little more, because each person on that ship is both fallable, and completely vulnerable to the Alien onboard. The style of filming is slow, plot and atmosphere driven horror - Predator isn't - it's a great movie though, but if AVP had even half of the dark, brooding atmosphere set up by Alien, it would have been a winner.

It's this study of the character's vulnerability and their approach to dealing with the alien problem (from Ian Holm's cyborg Ash for instance), and their location that sets the film up as far more claustrophobic, and far more intense than Predator ever was. The following films explored Ripley's struggle against this species, creating a legacy that looks at the human cost of this situation.

Predator was about a bunch of hard-asses getting the shit blown out of them by a very well designed character from outer space that hunts on Earth for sport - it goes about that deep really.

And let's look at the archetypal annoying character - Predator doesn't have one - but Alien has the woman who gets killed near the end, she's always bawling and in complete pieces - and in every horror film I can imagine that very character is by far the most irrational, and annoying person - but not in Alien. No her horror and fear is completely passed off onto the audience, both her performance and her dialogue set up her existence as justifiably scared and fearful of death - she goes to pieces exactly how YOU or I would go to pieces in that situation...and that's what sets the movies apart - real people vs stereotypical badasses
    Last edited by SymphonicX; 11-Jul-2010 at 10:00 AM.
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Undisclosed
    I saw it Friday.... I was expecting to be disappointed like I had been my last couple of outing to the cinema.

I wasn't... I can honestly say it was a pretty good flick...I give it about a 8 out of 10...Graded on a action movie curve of course... I honestly don't get the whole "It's just a copy of the first argument"... It is not... Other then the fact that the Predator is hunting a bunch of guys... And a few homages*

It stands as a worthy sequel and leagues better the the avp movies. It really didnt have and had scratching or serious eye rolling scenes and it had good editing and pacing.

* For those of you that have seen it... The first big homage to a classic scene with the first involving a lot of firepower was super weak in this film and didn't hold a candle... That scene was one of very few disappointments I have with this film
    Check out my 3 min zombie short for the diary contest.
    Among the Dead
    http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoid=29079528

Super Moderator

UK
    Saw it earlier today. Yeah, the opening has a few homages (the gun scene that Cooper mentions, as well as a bunch of musical moments).

Over all I dug the flick - I'd put it on par with Predator 2, which is a good flick. Predator 2 does some stuff better, but Predators does some other stuff better. So they, all said and done, match each other. Nothing was ever going to beat Predator 1.

The AvP movies sucked though ... goddamn they sucked.

Will blog about it in more depth later on.

United States
    Meh, I just kind of found it to be a crappy version of the original. Same situation, different planet, less fun, and no Arnold. Meh. It kept my attention though. . .and it was better than the AVP movies. . .but I even found it subpar to Predator 2.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

United States
    going to see this monday afternoon. friend of mine called earlier and highly recommended it. not heard/read a bad review yet, so i'm allowing myself to remain mildly excited.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    Meh, I just kind of found it to be a crappy version of the original. Same situation, different planet, less fun, and no Arnold. Meh. It kept my attention though. . .and it was better than the AVP movies. . .but I even found it subpar to Predator 2.
    You enjoyed Gary Busey chasing a Predator around with a glorified can of compressed air more then Predators eh?....
    Among the Dead

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by CooperWasRight View Post
    You enjoyed Gary Busey chasing a Predator around with a glorified can of compressed air more then Predators eh?....
    Yup, it had a decent plot, and some likable characters. . . .and it did something new with the story.

Oh and no completely predictible plot "twist" from Topher Grace.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    Yup, it had a decent plot, and some likable characters. . . .and it did something new with the story.

Oh and no completely predictible plot "twist" from Topher Grace.

Im sure you guessed tophers secret... Mind giving me next weeks lotto numbers?.... I have never met anyone that actually thought Predator 2 was a good movie... It is pretty much universally considered crap. Granted it had some cool additions to the mythology... Other then that it is below the avp films.
    Among the Dead

United States
    Im sure you guessed tophers secret... Mind giving me next weeks lotto numbers.
    What was so hard about it?

the rest of the group were all predators in one way or another. At the very beginning he puts some of that neurotoxin on his little knife. hmmmm. . . .gonna guess that Topher is some sort of serial killer or something equally malicious right away. Why else would he be there? Oh, and next weeks lotto numbers are 08 12 26 46 52 and 30

---------- Post added at 04:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:24 AM ----------

I have never met anyone that actually thought Predator 2 was a good movie....
    You have now
    Last edited by clanglee; 12-Jul-2010 at 08:26 AM.