Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Robert Rodriguez rebooting Predator?

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    So far we've got: Taller, longer reach, super strength, super agility (which together adds up to super-jump!!!) and acid blood. There's simply no way the predator can win. Sorry!
    The predator doesn't even have to get close to it, man! Predator wins.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Predator has concious thought, tactics and weaponry - the alien has brute strength and that's about it...sure its got acid for blood but a pred is smart enought to figure that out, sure the alien is superfast but the Pred isn't exactly a lumbering dinosaur...

It was always a good match in the original comics...Aliens have huge numbers, brute strength and no pain barrier, whilst the predator is a moral being, with rationality, a sense of self preservation and a will to hunt.

However the Alien is bred for killing - the predator hunts for trophies...psychologically that tells you something...
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    The predator doesn't even have to get close to it, man! Predator wins.
    Well, that won't matter, as it can't get close anyway. The alien is way too fast. I love this nerdy discussion. Alien pwns predator, hands down!

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    So far we've got: Taller, longer reach, super strength, super agility (which together adds up to super-jump!!!) and acid blood. There's simply no way the predator can win. Sorry!
    For real...

Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    You guys are insane. Letting your love for the alien series cloud your judgement.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    The Alien, as an organism, is the perfect killing machine. The ultimate predator. Everything about it is hostile and deadly. A single one of the creatures displays frightening intelligence (though they tend to dumb down in the presence of a queen, and just throw themselves at the enemy). They move incredibly fast, do not use visible light to see, can sustain greater damage than a Predator, bleed acid that can eat through layers of metal, have claws that can tear steel. They also do no have body heat, so it's invisible under the Predator's default visual mode.

The Predator organism is a fleshy humanoid with a bad attitude. It surrounds itself with technology to defend itself. Its weapons give it a good fighting chance. However, the Alien creature is to organic life what antimatter is to matter. The Alien IS DEATH TO ALL LIFE. My money is on the Alien, TBH.

Banned User

Undisclosed
    fuck robert rodriguez for this.

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by octo7 View Post
    I'm okay with it because:

a) It's basically the Predator 3 script that was written and planned to be shot immediately after Predator 2 but cancelled

b) It is only considered a "reboot" because it ignores the events of AvP and AvP:R, it does follow on from the events of the first two films

c) Dutch (Arnold's character in Predator) was, and still is, pencilled in for an appearance in the film, explicitly linking it to the original movie

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    displays frightening intelligence
    They do? I've only seen them do minor things like kill the power or use their own blood to escape something. Other than that they just run around looking for lunch.

They move incredibly fast
    They do...but the predator also moves incredibly fast.

do not use visible light to see
    As I stated before....I don't think this subject is ever covered in the four alien films or two AVP films. There's no proof that they don't see. In fact, there are several instances throughout the films that point to the fact that they could possibly have sight.

can sustain greater damage than a Predator
    Bitch, please. The predator has minor armor and carries around a portable operating room on his belt.

bleed acid that can eat through layers of metal
    This is one major advantage over the Predator, but as stated before, he would figure this out very quickly and easily work around it.

have claws that can tear steel
    You could very well be right about this, but I can't seem to remember any examples. I remember them running into doors, but never cutting them with claws.

They also do no have body heat, so it's invisible under the Predator's default visual mode.
    The predator has many different visual settings. And his "normal" vision as well. But remind me when the films establish that the aliens have no body heat?

The Predator organism is a fleshy humanoid with a bad attitude.
    Bad Attitude? He's a noble warrior that only kills for sport or self defense. If anything has the bad attitude, it's the pissed off alien that goes around killing for nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by octo7 View Post
    Hating it before seeing one second of footage or story or anything? Damn. Tough crowd.
    Last edited by bassman; 12-Oct-2009 at 05:44 PM.

Banned User

Undisclosed
    Due to the death of originality and creativity in film I despise remakes which is what I assumed it was given the thread title but I am pleased to see its a sequel and even more pleased ot see its ignoring the AVP movies. I am also still pissed at rodriguez for putting sin city 2 on hiatus so he could do a remake of barbarella.. i mean wtf? barbarella was terrible so i can only imagine how lame a remake will be, i have similar feelings about red sonya.

only thing worse than remaking a bad movie is remaking a good movie and predator is one of my all time favorites.

capncnut
    Bassman vs the world. Not a new concept, LOL.

J/K

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    The Alien IS DEATH TO ALL LIFE.
    Hear, hear!!

capncnut
    Let's face it, the Alien shits on the Predator. Don't take a major nerdy scientific discussion to realise this. Everyone (well one person) talks about Aliens not being as strong as the Predator but what about the facehugger. Loads of the little bastards running about. What's a shitty spear gonna do against 100 of those, eh?
    Last edited by capncnut; 12-Oct-2009 at 06:19 PM.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by capncnut View Post
    Let's face it, the Alien shits on the Predator. Don't take a major nerdy scientific discussion to realise this. Everyone (well one person) talks about Aliens not being as strong as the Predator but what about the facehugger. Billions of the little bastards running about. What's a shitty spear gonna do against that, eh?
    Wait, wait...everyone is taking this from different angles. The above makes it sound like a species vs. species debate, when it seemed to start out as a debate about who would win a one on one fight. I mean shit, no one has even qualified if we're talking about a drone, a queen or a freaky-ass fast alien from Alien 3 (I've heard it mentioned as a new take on the alien drone, but not sure if it really is supposed to be a different breed or not).

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Banned User

Undisclosed
    In terms of the quality of the films my opinon is Alien, Predator, Aliens, Alien 3 and Predator2 in that order. i won't mention the other sequels..

In terms of a fight the only fair way to decide would be to strip a predator of its armor and weapons and put it in a caged ring with an alien.

capncnut
    We actually have a poll up here somewhere. Maybe someone should find the fucker and resurrect it.