Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Robert Rodriguez rebooting Predator?

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Fair points, kraken.

But think of THIS!

The predator gets wounded by the aliens. Tinkers with his arm computer thingy for a minute. Boom. All aliens gone. Predator wins.

Disclaimer: That wasn't a point to contribute to the arguement. Just thought it was funny.
    That's a good point. It's kind of like the Predator's answer to the Alien's acid blood. Both of these creatures are just as dangerous dead as they were alive.

United States
    as i recall i didnt start this thread to be a debate that involves aliens at all. and bassmans right, in the long run you guys are nuts if you think 1 alien has a chance against a predator. if you dont know that, read the comics.

but as far as the movie... (getting back to the topic)
    it could be cool, or at least as halfway entertaining as terminator salvation with an arnold cameo.

avp sucked bad, avpr was better but not much.

Undisclosed
    I read a rumor a while back that The Rock was going to star in a Predator movie. His character was going to be the son of Dutch and the woman who escaped with him at the end of the movie.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by slickwilly13 View Post
    I read a rumor a while back that The Rock was going to star in a Predator movie. His character was going to be the son of Dutch and the woman who escaped with him at the end of the movie.
    Ick. You're right, I remember that rumor.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    The casting so far is confusing. Danny Trejo(awesome), Adrian Brody(okay), Topher Grace(Whaaa?).

Rodriguez seems like a guy that would know how to handle something like this, so let's just hope that his script is great and he'll be on the set a good bit to keep things straight.

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by Trancelikestate View Post
    as i recall i didnt start this thread to be a debate that involves aliens at all. and bassmans right, in the long run you guys are nuts if you think 1 alien has a chance against a predator. if you dont know that, read the comics.
    Have a read back over my responses, though - I did qualify my opinion by saying that it depended on the environment, that the Predator had a major advantage when the environment was conducive to the use of his weapons (i.e. open terrain), and the alien was at an advantage in an enclosed space. Also, a major factor is whether this "single Alien" is one of the hive drones of Aliens or the solo hunter-type seen in Alien. One of the solo-type creatures stands a better chance against the Predator than ten of the hive dwellers (which are the type we usually see in the AvP movies and comics).

Man, I am SUCH a fucking GEEK!!

Also, the Predators always win in the comix because they usually the anti-heroes of the story. It's difficult to make an audience root for the Aliens.
    Last edited by krakenslayer; 13-Oct-2009 at 11:07 AM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Getting the thread back on topic a bit.....I found some quotes from Robert Rodriguez. These are some pretty big words, so let's hope he can live up to them...

I can’t go too much into the story right now, because we’re still writing. But it still involves a very intense group of people stranded on a Predator planet discovering unspeakable horrors (that are not always from outside their group). So like the original movie, the title does have a double meaning. Aliens was a different take on the Alien idea, and an original movie in it’s own right, and that’s what we want to do with this.

When I was hired to write the original draft back in 1994, i was only brought on as a writer. I never thought I’d get to work on it in any other capacity. So a few months ago, when Alex Young at Fox contacted me about re-inventing the franchise using my original draft as a template for getting as far away as possible from the AVP movies, I jumped on it… Alex came down and saw Troublemaker Studios, and the facilities and crew that I’ve built up over the past 12 years, and he felt right away that this is where the movie should be made and that doing it down here would be the best way to protect it from the studio system. He was keen on making a very “non-studio” picture… As to how this movie will be viewed, one of the guys at Fox told me “No one is ever going to talk about AVP again after this film, I will stake my life on it.” And he’s a really nice guy, so I don’t want to see him dead. Now that lives are at stake, it’s no longer a job it’s a mission. Failure is not an option.
    And here is a video review of the script from Latino Review that gives out great info on what's in store. This one is a must see for anyone into the franchise.

Scotland
    Reluctantly dropping the Alien argument for a moment : I'm really looking forward to this.

My one one concern is that this cherry-picked team of Earth's most dangerous warriors, who'll be getting hunted on the Yautja homeworld, will be composed entirely of one-dimensional, larger-than-life, comic-book characters with whom it is impossible to relate (a la Mortal Kombat). The original movie toed that line VERRY carefully and managed to pull it off. Can this do the same?

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I don't think the first movie toed that line at all. They straight up stomped all over the line and ran miles beyond it. The soldiers in Predator are friggin cartoon characters.

Scotland
    I don't think the first movie toed that line at all. They straight up stomped all over the line and ran miles beyond it. The soldiers in Predator are friggin cartoon characters.
    Sure, they were cartoonish, but each character at least had a couple of sides to their personality. They bantered and chatted together like real people, you could see their macho-bravado fronts struggling at times to control their fear and vulnerability, each character had a personality and a different relationship with each one of their comrades. A lot of films with "big" characters like Predator seem to have a hard time making each of them seem unique and sympathetic. Take Deep Rising, for example. Apart from the hero, the only distinguishing factor between all the "tough guys" was that each one was given a different accent and one of them had a scar - apart from that I can't remember anything about them. I certainly didn't care when one of them died. Predator wasn't like that though.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    they were pretty far from real characters but they were LIKEABLE and that's all that matters to me personally...
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    Reluctantly dropping the Alien argument for a moment : I'm really looking forward to this.

My one one concern is that this cherry-picked team of Earth's most dangerous warriors, who'll be getting hunted on the Yautja homeworld, will be composed entirely of one-dimensional, larger-than-life, comic-book characters with whom it is impossible to relate (a la Mortal Kombat). The original movie toed that line VERRY carefully and managed to pull it off. Can this do the same?
    Hold on just one minute, you! Mortal Kombat is a cinematic masterpiece, don't you dare diss it.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Take Deep Rising, for example. Apart from the hero, the only distinguishing factor between all the "tough guys" was that each one was given a different accent and one of them had a scar - apart from that I can't remember anything about them. I certainly didn't care when one of them died. Predator wasn't like that though.
    You know what the problem is here? You were watching Deep Rising.

Scotland
    You know what the problem is here? You were watching Deep Rising.
    Hey! Deep Rising is good!! It's like Evil Dead 2 on a cruise liner... with a sea monster... and lots of unnecessary and forgettable characters.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Hey! Deep Rising is good!! It's like Evil Dead 2 on a cruise liner... with a sea monster... and lots of unnecessary and forgettable characters.
    I'm not a big fan of Evil Dead(1 or 2), so that could be a problem. I love Army of Darkness, though.

Deep Rising was just like a Scifi tv movie to me. A few cool effects/deaths, but the story and everything else was horrible. It was a prelude to Sommer's present body of work...