Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Martin...

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada

Martin...

i watched this late last night after "paranormal activity" and diary (yes, i gave it another viewing). frak me if this isn't a creepy, creepy ass movie. i've seen it like 30 times at least and still, i never fail to be impressed. the beginning of "martin" has to be one of the better horror film openings out there. this is one film that the music really puts over the top (in my book at least), a perfect, low key, yet slighty ominous soundtrack sells a lot of the scenes in "martin", particularly the parts told in flashback.

anyhoo, i'm of the opinion that "martin" is one of romero's best films, dead or otherwise.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

United States
    Yep, Martin, Knightriders & the original Dead films are IMO his greatest (although he's made plenty of other films the were good to great, but these are my favorites).

Martin is a very smart movie. Low key, understated. It doesn't spoon feed you the story or spell it out for you, & leaves it to the viewer to decide what the truth of the movie is.

capncnut
    Martin is joint number one with Dawn as far as I'm concerned, dammit. Is he an old country vampire or is he a total fucknut?

YOU decide!

Super Moderator

Germany
    When I spoke with George Romero, I told him that Martin is my wife's favorite Romero flick. He said it is his favorite as well because it was the first movie in which he felt like a real director.

ViP

United States
    He reinvented the vampire genre. Unfortunately, about 73 people have seen the film. I hated the film the first two times I attempted to watch it. Once I considered the fact that Martin may not be a vampire, it blew my mind and I was hooked. Granted, it doesn't have the everyday viewability of a Dawn of the Dead, but I hold it in similar regard. I probably watch it about once a year, maybe less.

Much in the same way that The Crazies foreshadows Dawn of the Dead, Season of the Witch (Jack's Wife, Hungry Wives) is a precursor to Martin. Season is practically the same movie. The witchcraft/vampirism is only real to those who choose to believe in it.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by axlish View Post
    Much in the same way that The Crazies foreshadows Dawn of the Dead, Season of the Witch (Jack's Wife, Hungry Wives) is a precursor to Martin. Season is practically the same movie. The witchcraft/vampirism is only real to those who choose to believe in it.
    Season is quite the mindfuck as well, and another film I dig.

United States
    Finally saw Martin for the first time last week.

It's more of a character study to me, than straight-forward horror film.

But What a character study...my heart went out to that crazy, mixed-up kid. (Especially when Rhodes shoots him in the head...wait, that's Day of the Dead)

Plus, Tom Savini's first collaboration with George Romero. Historic.

My local video store has Season of the Witch, too.

(Their copy has There's Always Vanilla as a Special Feature)

May have to compare/contrast.
    Those aren't real problems, Sam.

United States
    When asked at the film fest early this year whether Martin was a vampire or not, George said its up to you to decide of course, but that John Amplas had decided that Martin was just crazy, and that's how he played the character out. The great thing about the movie is that you never get a definite answer tho.
    Last edited by clanglee; 26-Oct-2009 at 07:49 PM.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by capncnut View Post
    . Is he an old country vampire or is he a total fucknut?

YOU decide!
    i think he's a fucknut. he is a fucknut who has been largely created by his almost equally insane family and their "quaint" belief system.

capncnut
    But wouldn't that imply Tada is a fucknut too because he reveals Martin's age during a conversation with his grandaughter. I mean are the whole family fucknuts?

United States
    But wouldn't that imply Tada is a fucknut too because he reveals Martin's age during a conversation with his grandaughter. I mean are the whole family fucknuts?
    That's just it MAYBE they are...if that's the angle you take then the implication is that

Tada MADE Martin the vampire he turned out to be...

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    i think there is every possibly that cuda is bat shit crazy as well and simply believes the bullshit that he's been told by other family members.

there really isn't enough info to tell. it could really go either way.

United States
    kinda dragging an old thread out of the dirt here, but i just got this in the mail the other day and i'm really looking forward to checking it out. will post a few thoughts about it later this weekend.

United States
    wow. pretty impressive film. didn't suffer from many of the glaring bloopers from some of romero's earlier works. good acting, creepy music, and a very disturbing film. totally didn't see that ending coming, that really surprised me. anyone who's not seen this and calls themselves a romero fan needs to check it out.

Dying

Undisclosed
    I've only watched this a couple of times and thought it was alright. It seemed like Romero was still playing around with that "we are the monsters" theme. Maybe more like we create the monsters. I'll have to check it out again. I don't think I got much of the social commentary.
    The dvd I have does have some nice behind the scenes footage of the filming of Dawn of the Dead.

Watched it again. The tag line should be "It's not magic, it's a sickness".
    Last edited by major jay; 28-Mar-2010 at 02:45 PM.