Thread: Weird links

United States

Weird links

Within the last 10 minutes, most of the links on HPOTD were to various sites.....providefeed.com, greatfeed.com, and some type of sex enhancement site. When viewing a thread, and wanting to click on either "more replies" or a specific thread, it went to one of those other sites, either wanting to sell me seed or a sex product. Weird glitch, virus, any one else have this problem? Dont think the problem is with me, every site other than HPOTD seems to be working correctly.

Administrator

England
    Ive been browsing most of the night, ive never encountered such a problem, But we will investigate this further and look at any potential malcious activity.

United States
    It just happened again. When I clicked on a link, the address it took me to was this....

h t t p ://providefeed.com/?do=rphp&sub=350&b=9710415161&q=General%20Discussi on&orig=http%3A//forum.homepageofthedead.com/forumdisplay.php%3Ff%3D2

I added spaces inbetween the http in order to NOT display it as a link. Funny, it automatically added url tags even thought I didnt.

EDIT: This time I waited for the page to load (before I just hit back or stop) and the page that loaded was some type of "You are infected with a virus" page, wanting me to download their anti-virus software. It was difficult to click off the page.
    Last edited by Philly_SWAT; 28-Oct-2009 at 11:24 PM.

Administrator

England
    What link exactly? i need to be sure as ive checked around 30 links off the main page and none have thrown up anything unusual.

Also check your own computer, run virus and adware scans.

United States
    Umm...I dont remember what link now. They all appear normal at the moment.

Administrator

England
    Check your computer, use your own virus scanner, dont download the one they are offering you.

It sounds like something on your computer as i just cant recreate the problem myself and no-one seems to be able to, if the problem was on the server then it would be effecting alot more people.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Check your computer, use your own virus scanner, dont download the one they are offering you.
    LOL, you don't have to tell me that!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    It sounds like something on your computer as i just cant recreate the problem myself and no-one seems to be able to, if the problem was on the server then it would be effecting alot more people.
    You would think so. However, I can find nothing wrong on my end, and no other site appears to be doing this. Here is a print screen...

My mouse was hovering over the "HPotD Forums" link near the top left of the page. Look at the bottom and see the link it was pointing to. I refreshed and it went away. I am not asking you to do anything Andy, just telling you this for your information.
    Last edited by Philly_SWAT; 29-Oct-2009 at 12:41 AM.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Philly_SWAT View Post
    My mouse was hovering over the "HPotD Forums" link near the top left of the page. Look at the bottom and see the link it was pointing to. I refreshed and it went away. I am not asking you to do anything Andy, just telling you this for your information.
    Im aware your not asking me to do anything, but if theres a problem with the forums i have to fix it, its sorta what neil pays me to do

I Still suggest you scan your computer, i cant find anything wrong my end. Run a virus scanner and then let me know, if it finds nothing i can run more detailed checks in the morning.

United States
    Well, I ran a scan and it shows nothing wrong. However, I did notice the same problem on espn.com, so I guess I got some type of hijack thing going on. Nice that the scan doesnt fix it....

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Well, I ran a scan and it shows nothing wrong. However, I did notice the same problem on espn.com, so I guess I got some type of hijack thing going on. Nice that the scan doesnt fix it....
    A lot of malware these days does a really good job at hiding from mainstream antivirus software, so you have to go after 'em with bigger guns. There are special utilities for dealing with this kind of stubborn infection (Hijack This! etc.), but they tend to be "expert user" tools. I suggest you get on a tech-support forum like this one and post your symptoms there, they should be able to help you out.

United States
    Yeah, I was reading about the greatmillfeed (or whatever it was) hijack thing that I had going on. Apparently it is new, and difficult (if not impossible) for a lot of antivirus software to find. I tried quite a a few things, and nothing seemed to work. Eventually I restored to the last restore and havent had a problem since. Not sure WHY that worked, but I wont complain.

Administrator

England
    Yeah, I was reading about the greatmillfeed (or whatever it was) hijack thing that I had going on. Apparently it is new, and difficult (if not impossible) for a lot of antivirus software to find. I tried quite a a few things, and nothing seemed to work. Eventually I restored to the last restore and havent had a problem since. Not sure WHY that worked, but I wont complain.
    Why are some people on this earth who, worse than actually wasting their time writing this maliciuos stuff, inflict it on others on purpose! What a waste of everyone's time and effort!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan