Thread: Day of the Dead - Chopper Landing Area Discovered

United States

Day of the Dead - Chopper Landing Area Discovered

I don't mean to say that I am the FIRST to discover it, just that I did in fact finally see it for myself.

To see more pics that I took, along with movie stills, you can click this link

http://home.roadrunner.com/~dawnofthedead/topside.html

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Do you often brandish firearms around civil aviation facilities?

capncnut
    Whoa shit! That's the first time I've ever seen that area photographed, and in good detail too. Nice pics, Philly.

Super Moderator

United States
    Cool work, as always, Philly. I would love to have seen you in the foreground watering some cannabis, though

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Cool work, as always, Philly. I would love to have seen you in the foreground watering some cannabis, though
    You should have told him that BEFORE he harvested it all.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    Pretty cool pics! Where was this? It's somewhere in Florida I assume?

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    So was there any indication as to where the "door" was?

Also....what's the deal with the trailer? What's that place used for now?

United States
    Those pics are great. But also FRUSTRATING.

If you don't know, I made a Day of the Dead map for the game Land of the Dead:Road to Fiddler's Green. During the map creation I watched the movie a dozen times to try to get the overall layout of the topside area. And there is precious little to go on. All the shots are tight. It's difficult to see how it all fit together. I made do, but it would've been great to have a few larger, wider shots.

I wish you'd gotten some wider angle shots to display how it all fits together. If you have any, please find a way to get them to me.

United States
    Philly, why didn't you jump over the fence to get better pics? When I found this location in 2003, we jumped over and checked out the entire area. I believe Axlish has also visited as well.

Undisclosed

Well done my friend !!!!!!!!!!!

You the man, nice picture.
    It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    Do you often brandish firearms around civil aviation facilities?
    Hmm..when you put it THAT way it seems like a bad idea perhaps.....

Quote Originally Posted by capncnut View Post
    Whoa shit! That's the first time I've ever seen that area photographed, and in good detail too. Nice pics, Philly.
    Thanks, I got a bunch more.

Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    LOL that would have been cool!

Quote Originally Posted by sandrock74 View Post
    Pretty cool pics! Where was this? It's somewhere in Florida I assume?
    Where have you been?
    Yes, it is on Sanibel Island, off the coast from Fort Myers.

Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    So was there any indication as to where the "door" was?

Also....what's the deal with the trailer? What's that place used for now?
    I did not see any evidence of the door. I looked but didnt see. I thought I had read somewhere that the prop was still there, but in 25 years perhaps it either sucumed to the elements or was stolen/throw out.

If by trailer you mean the RV, I have no idea why it is there. See more about this below.

Quote Originally Posted by thxleo View Post
    Philly, why didn't you jump over the fence to get better pics? When I found this location in 2003, we jumped over and checked out the entire area. I believe Axlish has also visited as well.
    I assumed that the trailer was kind of used as office space, but my friend was convinced that someone lived there, and we would get in trouble if we jumped the fence (which is why we didnt). Plus, coming off the Screamfest weekend where I actually lost a couple of hours, I wasnt in the most energetic of moods.

---------- Post added at 01:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:29 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Trin View Post
    Those pics are great. But also FRUSTRATING.

If you don't know, I made a Day of the Dead map for the game Land of the Dead:Road to Fiddler's Green. During the map creation I watched the movie a dozen times to try to get the overall layout of the topside area. And there is precious little to go on. All the shots are tight. It's difficult to see how it all fit together. I made do, but it would've been great to have a few larger, wider shots.

I wish you'd gotten some wider angle shots to display how it all fits together. If you have any, please find a way to get them to me.
    Well, I DO in fact have some wider shots, and a good memory of how it all fits together, so give me some time and I will draw a little map and show where the pics fit from viewing on the map.
    Last edited by Philly_SWAT; 31-Oct-2009 at 05:32 AM.

ViP

United States
    The last time I was there (in 2005 I think), there was still a small gravel pile where the "door" had once been. I'll see if I can dig up some pictures.

United States
    Very cool. Thanks for sharing!

Christmas Island
    Don't remember if this link was posted here at HOTD in the past or not but some folks visited the Day locations back in 2007:

http://www.filminglocationsdetective...f_the_dead.htm