Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Land of the Dead IS 3 years after the outbreak:

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    I disagree on both points. To Logan's knowledge, nobody is alive. But that knowledge is guesswork based on McDermotts unreliable information.
    Dr. Logan's calculation is the educated guess of a scientist who has been living through this whole situation and who gets further info on it from the soldiers and the other civilians. If anyone is in a position to make an educated guess about how bad the situation has gotten it is him. We can see with our own eyes that he is not far off the mark either, just by looking at the sample of how the big cities are like in the world of Day: nothing but zombies, desolation and decay everywhere! They have been going around with the helicopter and sending communication signals all over the area and get no response from anyone. We see nothing in the movie to contradict that good ol' "Dr. Frankenstein" is right on track. The world of Day looks quite hopeless. Very different from the still fairly organized and populated world of Land.

Ireland
    While Florida may have gone to shit. It doesn't mean that elsewhere in the States couldn't be operating under conditions like the walled city in 'Land of the Dead'.

McDermott points out that they can't talk to Washington "all the time" now because the relays are gone and he's relying on old WWII signals in a hit and hope manner. So, it's possible that while Florida is pretty much a "dead place", two states across could be holding up much better.

You're taking localised situations and extrapolating that to a "world". However, the stories take place in far too small a space to do such a thing.

- - - Updated - - -

I disagree with some of your points but in the end, I think it can be viewed in both ways. I think it's meant to be viewed as Land taking place after Day. That's how I view it. In Day, it's pretty obvious to me that they're no more than a year at most into it. The key to it is the scene where McDermott tells the soldiers off of how bad it's gotten out there. The soldiers don't seem to have fully realized that the world out there is gone and it won't be coming back.

In Land it seems as if people have realizes this - and a long time ago - and after that realization decided to rebuild. The societal development in Land is a sign to me that they're further into the apocalypse. They've HAD time to rebuild, something that they haven't in Day.
    Yeh. 'Land of the Dead' struck me as a regrouping of people and an attempt to structure something as a sort of enclave after losing the war basically. It's obvious that they operate alone and are not in touch with the outside world, because to them their is no outside world.

The folk in 'Day of the Dead' are still trying to contact other people and are coming to the realisation that "maybe we are the only ones left alive.'

The period problems with the film, though, are technical in nature and that's down to George not being careful enough, or just not caring that much.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    Dr. Logan's calculation is the educated guess of a scientist who has been living through this whole situation and who gets further info on it from the soldiers and the other civilians. If anyone is in a position to make an educated guess about how bad the situation has gotten it is him.
    I disagree. His theory is only guesswork at best. The best of scientists can come up with the most inaccurate calculations if based inadequate or unreliable evidence, which his is. Florida is obviously deserted. That doesn't mean the rest of the US is, we have no idea of what the rest of the world is like. Proto-Fiddler's Green is out there somewhere, gangs forming to create some kind of society.

I agree with shootem's post. The world in Land strikes me as just as dead as the one in Day. The difference is that the people in Land have accepted this, whereas much of the conflict in Day revolves around them not having done so yet. They are still in the "denial" phase.
    Last edited by EvilNed; 06-Feb-2016 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Jdjdjd

Super Moderator

UK
    I agree with Shoot and Ned.

Land is after Day. No doubt.

Plus the very explicit mention of "3 years" in the garage scene when Riley goes to get his motor for his planned exodus from the city to strike out Northwards. Day is blatantly months up to a year into the outbreak.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 06-Feb-2016 at 04:22 PM.

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    While Florida may have gone to shit. It doesn't mean that elsewhere in the States couldn't be operating under conditions like the walled city in 'Land of the Dead'.
    If a state like Florida has become a wasteland, it goes without saying that states further up north are going to be even worse. It is far easier to survive in more temperate climates than in colder ones. There is a reason why all civilizations started in temperate climates. Even in Dawn, which is not that long after the zombie outbreak, things are so bad in cities like Philadelphia that humans are fleeing and avoiding them like the plague.

McDermott points out that they can't talk to Washington "all the time" now because the relays are gone and he's relying on old WWII signals in a hit and hope manner. So, it's possible that while Florida is pretty much a "dead place", two states across could be holding up much better.
    Not only Florida, but Washington itself is regarded in the same breath. When Sarah talks about other survivors in Washington she clearly refers to other people holing up in bunkers, not large cities full of people. It is very obvious that by the time of Day human survival is spoken of in much smaller numbers, not the unthinkable scenario of entire cities populated by thousands of people as seen in Land. No such thing is regarded as possible by the time of Day. The soldiers in fact are very skeptical that even any shelters with any people are left anywhere in Washington. Needles to say let alone any big cities full of people.

You're taking localised situations and extrapolating that to a "world". However, the stories take place in far too small a space to do such a thing.
    No, the people in the bunker have been in contact with others up to about the time of the events we see in the movie, and it is clear by the context of doom and desperation of their discussions that the exact same situation seen in Florida is happening elsewhere. The very fact that Logan keeps taunting Rhodes with the "where will you go, captain?" question, and he does not have any answer whatsoever to it, forcing him to swallow his pride in front of his men, also tells us that the situation is virtually the same all over the place: zombies freely roaming everywhere & very few people left hiding in some places.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeh. 'Land of the Dead' struck me as a regrouping of people and an attempt to structure something as a sort of enclave after losing the war basically. It's obvious that they operate alone and are not in touch with the outside world, because to them their is no outside world.
    Not quite. To the people in the time of Land zombies are still rather more like a nuisance than a real death sentence for civilization. We don't see them desperately trying to deal with the zombie problem like we see in Day. They are also obviously aware of other survivor groups besides them. Kaufman even has an escape plan to these other populated areas, just in case it gets real bad in his own turf. Totally different scenario from the almost total doom atmosphere of Day, where there are hardly any places left to go anymore to find any other survivors.

- - - Updated - - -

I disagree. His theory is only guesswork at best. The best of scientists can come up with the most inaccurate calculations if based inadequate or unreliable evidence, which his is. Florida is obviously deserted. That doesn't mean the rest of the US is, we have no idea of what the rest of the world is like. Proto-Fiddler's Green is out there somewhere, gangs forming to create some kind of society.
    If Florida has gotten that bad by the time of Day, imagine other areas, like Pennsylvania, for example, where things were getting so bad already by the time of Dawn that people were fleeing the area!

I agree with shootem's post. The world in Land strikes me as just as dead as the one in Day. The difference is that the people in Land have accepted this, whereas much of the conflict in Day revolves around them not having done so yet. They are still in the "denial" phase.
    Not at all. The world of Land still has hopes and dreams, unlike the world of Day, where basic survival is the only thing left to people. We see this all over the place in Land. People in that time still can have hopes for something better. The rather "casual" attitude of most citizens towards the zombies is very telling. To them zombies are still more like a "nuisance" than a real problem that spells the doom of humanity. Not the totally doomy scenario of the time of Day by any means.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I agree with Shoot and Ned.

Land is after Day. No doubt.

Plus the very explicit mention of "3 years" in the garage scene when Riley goes to get his motor for his planned exodus from the city to strike out Northwards. Day is blatantly months up to a year into the outbreak.
    Hardly. Land is very obviously taking place before Day.

And there is nothing suggesting that Day takes place after only months or a year from the outbreak. Just by looking at how decayed is the city that we see, we can tell that quite a longer time has elapsed. It is in fact quite in contrast to the places we see in Land, which still look in better shape.
    Last edited by JDP; 06-Feb-2016 at 06:23 PM. Reason: quotes

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    If Florida has gotten that bad by the time of Day, imagine other areas, like Pennsylvania, for example, where things were getting so bad already by the time of Dawn that people were fleeing the area!

Not at all. The world of Land still has hopes and dreams, unlike the world of Day, where basic survival is the only thing left to people. We see this all over the place in Land. People in that time still can have hopes for something better. The rather "casual" attitude of most citizens towards the zombies is very telling. To them zombies are still more like a "nuisance" than a real problem that spells the doom of humanity. Not the totally doomy scenario of the time of Day by any means.
    That's just the thing tho; Imagine. Logan is only guessing. He has no idea. Anything can have happened that Logan wasn't aware of. Fiddler's Green could have sprung up anywhere. Dr. Logan was just observing Florida and then basing his worldwide estimation on that observaton - which leaves a huge margin-of-error.

Anyway, I think the state of the world in Day and Land are on equal levels of decay. In Day tho, the characters haven't even accepted the new state order of things, whereas in Land they have and then rebuilt. But by now we're just repeating the same arguments and I have to say I don't agree with yours at all. If you don't agree with mine I can only say "agree to disagree" and leave it at that.
    Last edited by EvilNed; 06-Feb-2016 at 06:20 PM. Reason: fdsa

Rising

United States
    That's just the thing tho; Imagine. Logan is only guessing. He has no idea. Anything can have happened that Logan wasn't aware of. Fiddler's Green could have sprung up anywhere. Dr. Logan was just observing Florida and then basing his worldwide estimation on that observaton - which leaves a huge margin-of-error.

Anyway, I think the state of the world in Day and Land are on equal levels of decay. In Day tho, the characters haven't even accepted the new state order of things, whereas in Land they have and then rebuilt. But by now we're just repeating the same arguments and I have to say I don't agree with yours at all. If you don't agree with mine I can only say "agree to disagree" and leave it at that.
    The "imagine" here is rhetorical. Read it as "it goes without saying". If Florida has gotten that bad, it is not difficult at all to deduce that other areas will be as bad, if not even worse. Pennsylvania, for example, is even the very place where the zombie outbreak happened. And even by Dawn it is so bad that those who can simply flee the big cities there. And the people in the bunker were in communication with what was left of the government in Washington. They surely must have known how bad the situation was elsewhere. From their desperation and doom-filled discussions and "where will you goes?" we can easily deduce that what Washington told them about the situation in general, something like cities full of survivors was simply unthinkable. The things we see happening in Land simply could not have happened at the time of or after Day.

Something like "Fiddler's Green" is an unthinkable scenario by the time of Day. Survivors are not in any position to rebuild anything. They are too busy trying to achieve even basic survival.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    The "imagine" here is rhetorical. Read it as "it goes without saying".
    This I do not agree with at all, but I can do nothing but just repeat what I said earlier;

Dr. Logan was just observing Florida and then basing his worldwide estimation on that observaton - which leaves a huge margin-of-error.

The margin-of-error part is the key. It's impossible for him to have made a reasonable survey of the situation from their isolated bunker in Florida. Impossible.

Rising

United States
    This I do not agree with at all, but I can do nothing but just repeat what I said earlier;

Dr. Logan was just observing Florida and then basing his worldwide estimation on that observaton - which leaves a huge margin-of-error.

The margin-of-error part is the key. It's impossible for him to have made a reasonable survey of the situation from their isolated bunker in Florida. Impossible.
    Again, keep in mind that all this time they have been in Florida they have been in communication with other survivors as well, particularly with what's left of the government in Washington. During the events that we see in the movie they have lost contact with other survivors, and are trying to get the communication with anyone else going on again (but without success.) They do have a good idea of how the situation is elsewhere. Logan is not making a wild calculation out of the blue but one based on all the information he has had up to that time about the situation.
    Last edited by JDP; 06-Feb-2016 at 07:58 PM. Reason: typo

Ireland
    If a state like Florida has become a wasteland, it goes without saying that states further up north are going to be even worse. It is far easier to survive in more temperate climates than in colder ones. There is a reason why all civilizations started in temperate climates. Even in Dawn, which is not that long after the zombie outbreak, things are so bad in cities like Philadelphia that humans are fleeing and avoiding them like the plague.
    Pennsylvania is hardly the North Pole. It IS a temperate climate. Florida, on the other hand is HOT most of the year around and can be, frankly, unbearable in the Summer. It's actually classed as a sub tropical climate.

However, you're missing the point. It's not about temperate climates. It's about where people find themselves and the situations they find themselves in at a particular time. In a scenario where the world is gone to shit and there are millions of creatures out there that call you dinner, you don't get to just move state as if nothing is going on. That kind of thing has to be planned well in advance and even then the difficulties outweigh the possible benefits. Most people would simply stay put and make do, if the situation was stable enough for them to do so.

There's no mass communication available in George's world, so people would band together and survive as best they can, with the people they happen to find themselves with at the time. Until something better came along.

It's clear from the dialogue in 'Day of the Dead', that Sarah and the crew have been operating a government project, set up "in a matter of weeks" but not too long ago. It was set up when order was still available and relay communication was available with the nations capital. It's all there in the dialogue.

'Land of the Dead' presents a world where the living and dead have normalised their situations to a large degree. The human characters are corralled in a part of Pittsburgh that they've fought to hold onto and that's small enough for them to control and fashioned a sort of society. A society that still clings to old ways. But it's clear that the humans have accepted that they are the minority the LAND of the dead.

Not only Florida, but Washington itself is regarded in the same breath. When Sarah talks about other survivors in Washington she clearly refers to other people holing up in bunkers, not large cities full of people. It is very obvious that by the time of Day human survival is spoken of in much smaller numbers, not the unthinkable scenario of entire cities populated by thousands of people as seen in Land. No such thing is regarded as possible by the time of Day. The soldiers in fact are very skeptical that even any shelters with any people are left anywhere in Washington. Needles to say let alone any big cities full of people.
    Sarah's talking about GOVERNMENT officials holding up in Washington as they would have "better facilities". That's all. There's no mention of anybody else. The fact that there's a government at all and that the people in the missile silo "used to talk to Washington all the time" is a clear indication of Day of the Dead's position in the series.

That doesn't mean that something like a Fiddler's Green couldn't exist. It certainly possible that a band of humans could have fought to create a fortress of some sort as it looks like they did. It's also possible that the zombies had moved on en mass to another area, allowing them to fortify the small area of the city that they did. There's watches posted all around the controlled area of the city (most of which is shown abandoned BTW) who keep an eye on the possible entry points into where the humans are holed up. It's not beyond the realms of possibility and it's certainly not "unthinkable" at all.

Also, where are you getting the idea that there are "thousands" of people? There's nothing in 'Land of the Dead' to suggest such a thing.

To me it looks like a few hundred, perhaps bolstered by travelers who find the enclave and they've managed to create some sort of stable society of sorts, as best they can, even if it is clinging onto some bad old ways. Supplies seem woefully low, facilitating the need to go "further and further out" on supply runs. There's clearly nothing left in the city that can be scavenged, hence the need to hit the burbs and the countryside.

No, the people in the bunker have been in contact with others up to about the time of the events we see in the movie, and it is clear by the context of doom and desperation of their discussions that the exact same situation seen in Florida is happening elsewhere.
    No it's not. It's not clear at all. It's only suggested that they've been flying up and down the Florida coast, but have found "nothing...nothing at all". They're doing this because they still think that there are people left and that they'll find them. They land in Ft. Lauderdale, which can't be too far from the missile silo location, at the beginning of the film hoping to find people. A Bell Jet Ranger will only get you so far. So, their scouting is very limited.

The people in 'Land of the Dead' aren't even bothering to scout, except for supplies.

The very fact that Logan keeps taunting Rhodes with the "where will you go, captain?" question, and he does not have any answer whatsoever to it, forcing him to swallow his pride in front of his men, also tells us that the situation is virtually the same all over the place: zombies freely roaming everywhere & very few people left hiding in some places.
    This is countered by the fact that Rhodes still believes that there are places he can go to. He wouldn't if he absolutely knew the whole country was a busted flush.

However, the simple fact is that the people in 'Day of the Dead' are still searching for other people.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Again, keep in mind that all this time they have been in Florida they have been in communication with other survivors as well, particularly with what's left of the government in Washington. During the events that we see in the movie they have lost contact with other survivors, and are trying to get the communication with anyone else going on again (but without success.) They do have a good idea of how the situation is elsewhere. Logan is not making a wild calculation out of the blue but one based on all the information he has had up to that time about the situation.
    Both McDermott and Sarah admit that there are probably others out there somewhere. McDermott, the only character really qualified to speak about their communication situation, says that he's sure that there's others but there's nobody operating as old equipment as they are. Logan would be getting his estimates from McDermott. Even with this in mind, I can't remember Logan even saying that there's no other survivors out there. He just says that they're hopelessly outnumbered - which they are even in Fiddler's Green a few years down the road.

The thing is that you can't pick ONE location (I.e. Florida) as an example for the entire world. I'm not going to contest that much of the world is a wasteland - Day is proof of that - but to rule out any other pockets of survivors based nothing more than the local survey's done by Sarah and her team is to me not a very convincing argument. Again, even Sarah admits to this.

Buuut anyway, in the stages of dealing with grief Denial (as in Day) comes way before Acceptance (Land). Only once you accept a situation can you move on, which is what they've done in Land. I've seen no convincing arguments from the "Day takes place after Land"-side of things so far... But I'm all ears, I enjoy the discussion.

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Pennsylvania is hardly the North Pole. It IS a temperate climate. Florida, on the other hand is HOT most of the year around and can be, frankly, unbearable in the Summer. It's actually classed as a sub tropical climate.
    Florida would be a much better place to survive and even attempt to re-take living areas than places further up north. Yet humans couldn't pull it off there. What makes you think they could be more successful in less forgiving climates?

However, you're missing the point. It's not about temperate climates. It's about where people find themselves and the situations they find themselves in at a particular time. In a scenario where the world is gone to shit and there are millions of creatures out there that call you dinner, you don't get to just move state as if nothing is going on. That kind of thing has to be planned well in advance and even then the difficulties outweigh the possible benefits. Most people would simply stay put and make do, if the situation was stable enough for them to do so.
    That would have applied to Washington, Florida and any other place. And yet we see that the situation has gone bad all the same and humans are hardly anywhere to be seen anymore. The point of the more benign climates is that it is one thing less you have to worry about. It makes it easier for you to concentrate on other aspects of survival. Yet we see that in the generally good climate of a place like Florida humans still have quite failed to push the zombies back and retake the living spaces for them. Can you imagine something like this happening any easier in the middle of winter? Not only have you got to worry about not being killed by zombies, you have to worry about not freezing to death. Give me the choice of having to survive on my own all year round for the rest of my life in Florida or in Pennsylvania, and I will chose the first one without thinking it twice, and I am not even taking a zombie situation into account here, just normal survival.

There's no mass communication available in George's world, so people would band together and survive as best they can, with the people they happen to find themselves with at the time. Until something better came along.
    At the time of Dawn there still is mass communications available. The characters of that film derive a lot of their information on what's happening almost everywhere through TV broadcasts. And it looks pretty bad already, even at that early stage. By the time of Day the situation is totally desperate. The time of Land occupies an intermediate position between the two.

It's clear from the dialogue in 'Day of the Dead', that Sarah and the crew have been operating a government project, set up "in a matter of weeks" but not too long ago. It was set up when order was still available and relay communication was available with the nations capital. It's all there in the dialogue.
    And who better to keep them informed of what is happening at a national level than the government itself! And so you see the pervasive atmosphere of doom and desperation among the survivors in Day.

Sarah's comment is about how long it took to put the project together, not how long it has been going on. There is a big difference. The scientists were complaining that the equipment, working conditions and the supply of chemicals they had at their disposal was not entirely adequate for the task at hand, and this is because not enough time was taken (by their bosses in Washington) to plan things better. That does not mean that they have been down there for just a few days or weeks. The fact that they have even built a corral, have gone out there and gathered a whole bunch of zombies and put them in the corral to have specimens readily at hand for research purposes already implies that these people have been working there for quite a good amount of time.

'Land of the Dead' presents a world where the living and dead have normalised their situations to a large degree. The human characters are corralled in a part of Pittsburgh that they've fought to hold onto and that's small enough for them to control and fashioned a sort of society. A society that still clings to old ways. But it's clear that the humans have accepted that they are the minority the LAND of the dead.
    Land presents a world where the zombies still are not seen as total doom. People can still hope for better things to come or better places to go to. This is practically all gone by the time of Day. The situation now is "if we don't do something about the zombies we are all doomed!". Plus Land implies the existence of other survivor enclaves. They are hardly unique or alone. In Day even finding evidence of any other survivors seems like quite a task, one that is never fulfilled.

Sarah's talking about GOVERNMENT officials holding up in Washington as they would have "better facilities". That's all. There's no mention of anybody else. The fact that there's a government at all and that the people in the missile silo "used to talk to Washington all the time" is a clear indication of Day of the Dead's position in the series.
    An indication that says that even the government itself has gone into hiding in bunkers and as of now has very disturbingly gone totally silent! So yes, it clearly tells us what Day's position is in the series: just about a step away from total doom. Very different from the still very much hopeful world of Land and its large numbers of survivors and civilization pockets.

That doesn't mean that something like a Fiddler's Green couldn't exist. It certainly possible that a band of humans could have fought to create a fortress of some sort as it looks like they did. It's also possible that the zombies had moved on en mass to another area, allowing them to fortify the small area of the city that they did. There's watches posted all around the controlled area of the city (most of which is shown abandoned BTW) who keep an eye on the possible entry points into where the humans are holed up. It's not beyond the realms of possibility and it's certainly not "unthinkable" at all.

Also, where are you getting the idea that there are "thousands" of people? There's nothing in 'Land of the Dead' to suggest such a thing.

To me it looks like a few hundred, perhaps bolstered by travelers who find the enclave and they've managed to create some sort of stable society of sorts, as best they can, even if it is clinging onto some bad old ways. Supplies seem woefully low, facilitating the need to go "further and further out" on supply runs. There's clearly nothing left in the city that can be scavenged, hence the need to hit the burbs and the countryside.
    Not only do we see large crowds of people, many of whom don't even know or have seen each other, but we can easily infer that this city is quite populous from all the things going on in it. They even have the manpower and resources available to not only maintain and run underground railways and all sorts of vehicles, but even build sophisticated armored ones with computers, fireworks, machine guns & rockets!!! Civilization, with all its pros and cons, is very much going on at Fiddler's Green quite undisturbed by the whole zombie situation. This advanced level of civilization needs quite an infrastructure to be able to work as we see in the movie. This city is obviously quite populated, organized and thriving. Even social classes and all their usual problems have been maintained. All of this is a far cry from the desolation and decay of civilization of any kind, even rudimentary ones, in Day, where the most people can hope for is to somehow manage to survive.

No it's not. It's not clear at all. It's only suggested that they've been flying up and down the Florida coast, but have found "nothing...nothing at all". They're doing this because they still think that there are people left and that they'll find them. They land in Ft. Lauderdale, which can't be too far from the missile silo location, at the beginning of the film hoping to find people. A Bell Jet Ranger will only get you so far. So, their scouting is very limited.
    Not only have they been scouting the area for miles, but they have also been sending radio signals all over the place in the hope of establishing communication with anyone. But nothing, zero, zilch, niet, nada. Plus you forget that before that they also had been having regular communications with the government itself. If anyone could keep these guys well informed of how desperate the situation was it was their own bosses in Washington. The whole atmosphere of Day is filled with doom for humanity. Once again, very, very, very, very different from the scenario we see in Land, where humans are still quite hopeful and civilization can still go on.

The people in 'Land of the Dead' aren't even bothering to scout, except for supplies.
    Because they hardly need to look for survivors when they already have a whole city quite packed with them! To them this is hardly an issue to worry about. Finding booze and food would be something to worry about, though, with such a large demand for them. Survivors are "a plenty" in the world of Land. Plus they also are aware that there are other survivor enclaves in other areas. Kaufman even has an emergency escape route planned to end up in any of these other populated places just in case "the shit hits the fan" in his own turf.

This is countered by the fact that Rhodes still believes that there are places he can go to. He wouldn't if he absolutely knew the whole country was a busted flush.

However, the simple fact is that the people in 'Day of the Dead' are still searching for other people.
    Rhodes can't answer Logan's simple question. One of the reasons he resents Logan is because, as John points out, "the old Doc can talk him silly". The fact is that when Rhodes threatens that he and his men will abandon the bunker and leave the scientists behind he really does not know of any place to go to that is safe for sure, and perhaps also has other survivors. Logan knows it, that's why he puts him in his place in front of everyone with that simple question. Once again showing that in Day the situation for survivors is quite desperate. The zombie crisis has spread practically everywhere. There's relatively few places left to try to go to and survive. In fact, if I was them, I would have rather stayed in the bunker until no more supplies made it imperative to find some other place. The longer you can hole up in that place the better and the less risks you would have to take trying to survive out there. They actually had a good thing going in that bunker compared to how the situation was outside!

- - - Updated - - -

Both McDermott and Sarah admit that there are probably others out there somewhere. McDermott, the only character really qualified to speak about their communication situation, says that he's sure that there's others but there's nobody operating as old equipment as they are. Logan would be getting his estimates from McDermott. Even with this in mind, I can't remember Logan even saying that there's no other survivors out there. He just says that they're hopelessly outnumbered - which they are even in Fiddler's Green a few years down the road.

The thing is that you can't pick ONE location (I.e. Florida) as an example for the entire world. I'm not going to contest that much of the world is a wasteland - Day is proof of that - but to rule out any other pockets of survivors based nothing more than the local survey's done by Sarah and her team is to me not a very convincing argument. Again, even Sarah admits to this.

Buuut anyway, in the stages of dealing with grief Denial (as in Day) comes way before Acceptance (Land). Only once you accept a situation can you move on, which is what they've done in Land. I've seen no convincing arguments from the "Day takes place after Land"-side of things so far... But I'm all ears, I enjoy the discussion.
    McDermott doubts his own statements regarding survivors, and Sarah even clearly implies that whatever survivors can be expected are going to be holed up in shelters, just like themselves. Nowhere there's even the faintest glimmer of hope for something like Fiddler's Green a few years back the road still being around anywhere in Day. The most they can hope for is to make contact with any survivors anywhere. Quite different from the more hopeful world of Land, where survivors even can afford the luxury of hoping to get their hands on a vehicle and moving out to somewhere else!

But you keep failing to notice that Sarah and the others not only know about how grave the situation is from what they have seen with their own eyes, but also from all the past communications they have had with Washington. Their almost hopeless view of the world is based on all these factors. They know very well that it is not only Florida that has practically become a wasteland. This is not any isolated incident. These guys from Day are working hard to solve the zombie situation in a desperate attempt to save humanity from extinction. On the other hand, the people in the time of Land were mostly busy having sex, drugs, booze, hot-dogs and rock'n'roll instead, and even "worrying" about whether one day they might manage to get a nicer apartment. Oh, you poor babies! You really were having a tough time "surviving", didn't you? Anyone can easily see how totally different both worlds are and the respective attitudes towards life and the future of both groups of survivors. That's because Land happens at an earlier time when the zombie situation had not gotten as bad as in Day. That simple. I don't see any evidence whatsoever that Land, with its still quite advanced level of civilization and relative safety, can possibly happen after the practically doomed world of Day.
    Last edited by JDP; 06-Feb-2016 at 10:45 PM. Reason: quote

United States
    The only way to insist Land is set prior to Day is to be willingly obtuse and/or read things into the spoken dialogue that isn't there. Can't we just bury this tired argument once and for all?

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by sandrock74 View Post
    The only way to insist Land is set prior to Day is to be willingly obtuse and/or read things into the spoken dialogue that isn't there.
    It's actually the opposite. One has to be very unperceptive and "obtuse" to try to place the world of Land, with all its still prevalent hopes and dreams for the future of mankind, as being later than that of Day, with its gloomy atmosphere of hopelessness for the future of mankind, which can only be reached by trying to deny the evidence plainly seen and/or implied by both movies.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    McDermott doubts his own statements regarding survivors, and Sarah even clearly implies that whatever survivors can be expected are going to be holed up in shelters, just like themselves. Nowhere there's even the faintest glimmer of hope for something like Fiddler's Green a few years back the road still being around anywhere in Day. The most they can hope for is to make contact with any survivors anywhere. Quite different from the more hopeful world of Land, where survivors even can afford the luxury of hoping to get their hands on a vehicle and moving out to somewhere else!
    You are making assumptions that not even the characters themselves are making. This is just silly. I disagree not only with your theory but I also think you're making things up that aren't in the film.

But you keep failing to notice that Sarah and the others not only know about how grave the situation is from what they have seen with their own eyes, but also from all the past communications they have had with Washington. Their almost hopeless view of the world is based on all these factors. They know very well that it is not only Florida that has practically become a wasteland. This is not any isolated incident. These guys from Day are working hard to solve the zombie situation in a desperate attempt to save humanity from extinction. On the other hand, the people in the time of Land were mostly busy having sex, drugs, booze, hot-dogs and rock'n'roll instead, and even "worrying" about whether one day they might manage to get a nicer apartment. Oh, you poor babies! You really were having a tough time "surviving", didn't you? Anyone can easily see how totally different both worlds are and the respective attitudes towards life and the future of both groups of survivors. That's because Land happens at an earlier time when the zombie situation had not gotten as bad as in Day. That simple. I don't see any evidence whatsoever that Land, with its still quite advanced level of civilization and relative safety, can possibly happen after the practically doomed world of Day.
    It is possible for different stages of civilization to exist in different parts of the world. The Egyptians cultivated land 3000 years before the Germans did. What you're doing is the equivalent of taking a snapshot of a neolithic german stone age tribe and adamantly stating that "it's obvious all human life is at the same stage of development". Human society doesn't work this way. Just because the people in Day are stuck in a bunker, doesn't mean the people of Fiddler's Green aren't holed up in a skyscraper.

Anway; Day = Denial. Land = Acceptance. This is the different outlook on life that Land and Day has that you claim "anyone" can see. Day is a few months in. Maybe a year. They are in the denial phase. Land is several years in. They've rebuilt. They're in the acceptance phase. I'd also like to point out what shootem said, another point for this is that in Day they keep looking for survivors - in Land they don't even bother. They know there aren't any. Case closed.
    Last edited by EvilNed; 07-Feb-2016 at 06:42 AM. Reason: asdas