Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: Romero locations

  1. #1
    Twitching thxleo's Avatar
    Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    857
    United States

    Romero locations

    I know that a fair amount of members have posted their pics of Romero locations for years on here, but how about making a list of all of your location travels. I've been making location visits since 1997 when I first visited the Monroeville Mall and have tons of photos, but I've never bothered to post them. Here is a list of all the spots I've been to over the last 12 years...

    Night of the living dead
    1)Evans City cemetery 2)Farmhouse property & news/police/posse areas 3)Ft. Pitt blvd Latent Image basement

    The Crazies
    1)Zelienople motel(now demolished) 2)Evans City post office

    Martin
    1)Buba family house 2)various spots all over Braddock, including the poultry shop, bridge/walkway that Martin walks across, Mrs. Santini's house, etc... 3)various spots in Pittsburgh, including Penn Station, strip district, etc...

    Dawn of the Dead
    1)Monroeville Mall(everywhere, including the roof) 2)Harold W. Brown airfield 3)old B&P truck yard in Irwin 4)"WGON-TV" television studio 5)Ft. Pitt blvd Laurel rooftop 6)Logan's Ferry Rd.(scene with National Guard & zombies) 7)M. Berger Industrial area(scene where Flyboy & Fran meet up with Roger & Peter, police boat dock) 8)old housing projects area - building is long gone now(scene where SWAT raid apartments)

    Knightriders
    1)Outdoor Life Lodge in Tarentum

    Creepshow
    1)Billy's house from opening & ending 2)CMU campus(The Crate)

    Day of the Dead
    1)Wampum mine 2)Manor Nike site 3)Sanibel Island - fenced in helicopter landing area & beach 4)downtown Ft. Myers, all of the major areas where zombies are shown(Edison theater, bank, etc...)

    Land of the Dead
    1)BCE place, which I think is called something else now, where Monrozombi and I filmed our scenes as zombies(Fiddler's Green) 2)Kleinburg Village(scenes of Big Daddy's gas station, church & gazebo from the opening, area where Dead Reckoning mows down lots of zombies at the beginning) 3)Cherry Street drawbridge

    Diary of the Dead
    1)Humber River hospital location

    Survival of the Dead
    1)Filmport Studios

    Night of the living dead 1990
    1)House property 2)Cemetery


    Very Geeky & Misc. stuff...
    1)KNB EFX studio
    2)Greg Nicotero's home
    3)George Romero's home in Toronto
    4)George Romero's Sanibel Island house(where Day of the Dead was written)
    5)George Romero's Pittsburgh townhouse
    6)Latent Image/Laurel offices & sound/editing rooms
    7)Tom Savini's house & old f/x shop
    8)Kyra Schon's home
    9)Lori Cardille's home
    10)Mike Gornick's home
    11)John Amplas office at Pittsburgh playhouse
    12)Stephen King's house(no, I didn't go in)
    13)Bach's Arco gas station in Pitcairn(now a Sunoco)
    14)Beaver Falls Holiday Inn(where the cast & crew of Day of the Dead stayed during filming)
    15)Bigelow hotel, now something else(where the cast & crew of Dawn of the Dead stayed during filming)
    16)Lady Astor's restaurant in NYC, now called something else(where David Emge, John Amplas, Chris Romero, Jay Stover, etc... all worked right before the shooting of Dawn of the Dead)
    17)Richard Rubinstein's NYC offices

    I never did check out anything related to There's always vanilla, Jack's Wife, Monkey Shines, The Dark Half, or Two evil eyes and I might have forgotten a few things as well. I'm curious as to what other location hounds have done as well.

  2. #2
    Walking Dead DubiousComforts's Avatar
    Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,969
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by thxleo View Post
    Night of the living dead
    1)Evans City cemetery 2)Farmhouse property & news/police/posse areas 3)Ft. Pitt blvd Latent Image basement
    Don't forget the area by the Thomas Jefferson Building in front of the Capitol Building in Washington D.C. (location news report,) as well as The Pitt Building on Smithfield Street in Pittsburgh (home of Hardman Associates, now long gone)

    Quote Originally Posted by thxleo View Post
    The Crazies
    1)Zelienople motel(now demolished) 2)Evans City post office
    I believe Bill Hinzman also mentioned filming near/at a golf course/country club. Where was the gymnasium located?

    Quote Originally Posted by thxleo View Post
    Creepshow
    1)Billy's house from opening & ending 2)CMU campus(The Crate)
    I mentioned once before in the Google Maps thread about being informed that Jordy's house was a facade built at the DAWN airfield. Anyone know if this is true or false?

  3. #3
    Twitching thxleo's Avatar
    Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    857
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DubiousComforts View Post
    Don't forget the area by the Thomas Jefferson Building in front of the Capitol Building in Washington D.C. (location news report,) as well as The Pitt Building on Smithfield Street in Pittsburgh (home of Hardman Associates, now long gone)


    I believe Bill Hinzman also mentioned filming near/at a golf course/country club. Where was the gymnasium located?


    I mentioned once before in the Google Maps thread about being informed that Jordy's house was a facade built at the DAWN airfield. Anyone know if this is true or false?
    Yeah, I've been to the D.C. location too. I forgot about that, thanks. I never did go check out the old Hardman Associates building though. I should.

    I have no idea where the gym was at, probably at the school in Evans City?

    Yes, Jordy's house was a facade created by Cletus Anderson. I don't know if it was at the airfield though.

  4. #4
    Being Attacked Phenia Films's Avatar
    Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Age
    53
    Posts
    94
    Undisclosed
    Heres some 'Behind the Scenes' footage of my film 'Flowers for the DEAD'
    shot in Evans City Cemetery also Franklin Rd shots

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVYF0H8tXVg

    Last edited by Phenia Films; 10-Nov-2009 at 11:28 PM.

  5. #5
    Arcade Master Philly_SWAT's Avatar
    Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Posts
    1,946
    United States
    Geez, I thought I was ridiculous!

    How did you get to the roof in the Mall? (The Stairs ..ba ba bum)

    No seriously? And also...
    12)Stephen King's house(no, I didn't go in)
    Did you go inside all the other houses on your list?
    Last edited by Philly_SWAT; 11-Nov-2009 at 12:05 AM.

  6. #6
    Being Attacked Phenia Films's Avatar
    Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Age
    53
    Posts
    94
    Undisclosed
    Theres alot on Main Street in Evans City for 'the Crazies'
    looking up main street. street shots/post office/church
    there are three churches-right next to each other as you go up main (towards Butler) the Crazies church is on the right (think thats the one..forgot the name) was checking it out last week.

    Last edited by Phenia Films; 11-Nov-2009 at 12:26 AM.
    'You Wont Survive the Night the Dawn the Day'

    "Flowers for the DEAD"
    a Super 8 Film from Phenia Films

    https://www.facebook.com/FlowersForTheDead
    JOIN OUR FILM GROUP ON FACEBOOK

  7. #7
    Twitching thxleo's Avatar
    Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    857
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Philly_SWAT View Post
    Geez, I thought I was ridiculous!

    How did you get to the roof in the Mall? (The Stairs ..ba ba bum)

    No seriously? And also...

    Did you go inside all the other houses on your list?
    Well, we asked the mall management and they agreed to do it for us. This was when Robert Rodriguez, Quentin Tarantino, Simon Pegg, and Edgar Wright came to town for the LOTD premiere. They agreed since it was for "special" guests. The first day Rodriguez & Tarantino went up and the second day Pegg and Wright went up, since they arrived a day later. Here's a photo of us on the roof the second day...
    MM roof.jpg

    If it say's "home", yes I was a guest there. If it say's "house", no I was not inside the home at all.

  8. #8
    Just been bitten jded's Avatar
    Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Boise, ID
    Age
    44
    Posts
    194
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by thxleo View Post
    Well, we asked the mall management and they agreed to do it for us. This was when Robert Rodriguez, Quentin Tarantino, Simon Pegg, and Edgar Wright came to town for the LOTD premiere. They agreed since it was for "special" guests. The first day Rodriguez & Tarantino went up and the second day Pegg and Wright went up, since they arrived a day later. Here's a photo of us on the roof the second day...
    MM roof.jpg

    If it say's "home", yes I was a guest there. If it say's "house", no I was not inside the home at all.
    Fucking awesome dude! I see Greg Nicotero on the left too. That must have made your day. I was going to ask you the same thing. How in the hell did he get on the roof? Did they renovate up there at all or is it totally the same? I ask because I was surprised to find the same maroon paint (and peeling) on the walls in the back hallways so many years later.
    "You stick your head in the sun, they're gonna come up behind you and bite off your ass."

  9. #9
    Twitching thxleo's Avatar
    Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    857
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by jded View Post
    Fucking awesome dude! I see Greg Nicotero on the left too. That must have made your day. I was going to ask you the same thing. How in the hell did he get on the roof? Did they renovate up there at all or is it totally the same? I ask because I was surprised to find the same maroon paint (and peeling) on the walls in the back hallways so many years later.
    Greg asked me to put together some type of tour for Rodriguez, Tarantino, Pegg, and Wright when they came to town, since they all are fans too. So I made this detailed itinerary with every location you could think of related to Romero films, but in the end they didn't have much time and decided to see the big stops like Monroeville Mall and Evans City cemetery. I knew the maintenance guy at the mall and after getting approval from the mall, he took us up on the roof.
    They have made some changes on the roof. In the last few years they changed the pyramid looking glass/plastic coverings for the skylights, for example.

  10. #10
    Walking Dead DubiousComforts's Avatar
    Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,969
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Phenia Films View Post
    Heres some 'Behind the Scenes' footage of my film 'Flowers for the DEAD' shot in Evans City Cemetery also Franklin Rd shots
    Great job, Joe. How could we leave out Franklin Road from the list of NIGHT locations? <smacks forehead really hard>

    Did you know that all the opening shots of NIGHT are filmed on the same stretch of that road, just from different angles?

    Quote Originally Posted by thxleo View Post
    I never did check out anything related to [I]There's always vanilla
    I never gave this much thought, but I believe there is a scene in There's Always Vanilla shot at Mount Washington overlooking the city (at least there is a behind-the-scenes shot in Russo's NIGHT filmbook that shows this).

    We shot the panoramic views of Pittsburgh showing the old Latent Image office on Fort Pitt Blvd. from this same location for Autopsy of the Dead.
    Last edited by DubiousComforts; 11-Nov-2009 at 08:50 PM.

  11. #11
    Rising Trin's Avatar
    Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,684
    United States
    You guys are just scary.

  12. #12
    Twitching thxleo's Avatar
    Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    857
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DubiousComforts View Post
    Great job, Joe. How could we leave out Franklin Road from the list of NIGHT locations? <smacks forehead really hard>

    Did you know that all the opening shots of NIGHT are filmed on the same stretch of that road, just from different angles?


    I never gave this much thought, but I believe there is a scene in There's Always Vanilla shot at Mount Washington overlooking the city (at least there is a behind-the-scenes shot in Russo's NIGHT filmbook that shows this).

    We shot the panoramic views of Pittsburgh showing the old Latent Image office on Fort Pitt Blvd. from this same location for Autopsy of the Dead.
    Yes, I forgot about the opening shots of the car driving down the road. I've visited there as well. And of course I've been on top of Mt. Washington many times too. Thanks for jogging my memory!

  13. #13
    Chasing Prey
    Member

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    3,125
    Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by thxleo View Post
    Yes, I forgot about the opening shots of the car driving down the road. I've visited there as well. And of course I've been on top of Mt. Washington many times too. Thanks for jogging my memory!


    this mt. washington?







  14. #14
    Being Attacked Phenia Films's Avatar
    Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Age
    53
    Posts
    94
    Undisclosed
    Heres a great shot of the Evans City Cemetery Caretaker Hut..
    dont look good anymore..on its way out

    Save the Caretaker Hut!





    (Photos Will 'Boz' Bozarth..love this one!)
    'You Wont Survive the Night the Dawn the Day'

    "Flowers for the DEAD"
    a Super 8 Film from Phenia Films

    https://www.facebook.com/FlowersForTheDead
    JOIN OUR FILM GROUP ON FACEBOOK

  15. #15
    Being Attacked Phenia Films's Avatar
    Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Age
    53
    Posts
    94
    Undisclosed
    Here are a few more photos i took last month in Evans City Cemetery
    while shooting 'Flowers for the DEAD'



    'You Wont Survive the Night the Dawn the Day'

    "Flowers for the DEAD"
    a Super 8 Film from Phenia Films

    https://www.facebook.com/FlowersForTheDead
    JOIN OUR FILM GROUP ON FACEBOOK

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •