Thread: Insipiration can come from crap.

United States

Insipiration can come from crap.

My wife was watching one of those ghost hunting shows that seem so popular lately. Now, I can't stand that crap, so I was half touching myself and half working on editing a story when I heard:

"Thomas Edison invented the first EVP machine."

Okay. Not an actual fact. After some research, it turns out that later in his years, Edison suggested a device could be made that would record the dead.
    In 30 seconds, I had a plausible storyline unfold in my head. Something like, National Treasure meets The Sixth Sense... Two days later, I have a full blown rough draft of something that might become my first non-zombie horror story worth a damn.

Inspiration from grown men dressing up and playing ghost busters. Amazing.

Undisclosed
    I agree with that. Although I don't consider it crap, I got inspiration to write a fairly decent non-zombie horror story from watching 'Walace and Gromit: Curse of the Wererabbit'.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by rightwing401 View Post
    I agree with that. Although I don't consider it crap, I got inspiration to write a fairly decent non-zombie horror story from watching 'Walace and Gromit: Curse of the Wererabbit'.
    Hahahaha...I love that freakin' movie!

Undisclosed
    Yeah, it got me thinking, 'who the hell would be crazy enough to try and write a horror story with a wererabbit in it?' And the answer was---me.

United States
    I love anything that falls outside the box. Are you going to post it here?

Undisclosed
    I probably will. The funny thing is, I wrote the story some three years ago. I thought about posting it many times, but just didn't get around to doing it. I brought it out of the cobwebs of my hard drive and rewrote it (my character interaction was real crap back then). Then, like clockwork it seems for me, my damn computer crashed and I lost the rewritten version. I've been working on it from time to time, I'll probably get back to where I finished soon.

The title's 'Predator or Prey?'. The premisis is that a girl in her first month of college inadvertingly pisses off a guy who starts stalking her. The majority of the story is phsycological horror, because I never really give away who the shapeshifter is by having both characters act as if they are.

Damn, Deadpunk, now you've got me thinking about it and I've got that nagging itch under my skin to finish it.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by rightwing401 View Post
    Damn, Deadpunk, now you've got me thinking about it and I've got that nagging itch under my skin to finish it.
    I thought that was the purpose of this forum

It sounds like an interesting concept. Psychological thrillers can make for some damn scary reading!

I feel your pain with the computer problems. When my laptop crashed, I lost most of Dark Knight III, and rewriting it has been a chore that I usually can't be bothered with. I can't even recall the last time I worked on it. And the longer it goes by, the less I really care about it.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by deadpunk View Post
    I thought that was the purpose of this forum

It sounds like an interesting concept. Psychological thrillers can make for some damn scary reading!

I feel your pain with the computer problems. When my laptop crashed, I lost most of Dark Knight III, and rewriting it has been a chore that I usually can't be bothered with. I can't even recall the last time I worked on it. And the longer it goes by, the less I really care about it.
    God, Don't even mention computer problems, man, you're bringing on my flashbacks... Whole books... ready to publish... GONE. 3rd part of Walmart... LOST. 500-pages of a Sci-Fi book... POOFed.
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

United States
    The worst feeling though; is when you think you've lost a story, and when it finally turns up...you wind up wondering what the fuck you were thinking to begin with...

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    That's how I feel whenever I wake up in the morning... usually happens in the morning.