Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Premiere CS3 lagging out of nowhere!

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Question Premiere CS3 lagging out of nowhere!

To start off, I'll give you my specs:

MacBook Pro
    Intel Core 2 Duo
    2.66 Ghz
    4 GB of Ram
    OSX 10.5.8
    Adobe Premiere CS3 version 3.2

Adobe Premiere used to run completely smooth for me. For months, everything was fine. Today, out of nowhere, it has started to lag. I have not changed any system settings or any settings within Premiere. However, for some odd reason, it lags 3-4 seconds every time i try to play my timeline. It never did this before. I thought that maybe I had to start rendering my timelines, so I did, and it didn't fix it at all; I've still got the lag.

Now, I know 3-4 seconds isn't a long time... but it's quite annoying when I'm in a rush editing something (this lag really adds up when you're doing short/quick cuts). I also shouldn't be experiencing it now, considering I never did before.

Does anybody know why it's doing this out of nowhere?

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    I'm using it on

I-Mac
    Intel core 2 duo
    2.8ghz
    4gb of ram
    OSX 10.5.8
    Adobe Premier CS3 Version the latest update from today

it's working smooth with the current stuff im editing but in the past ive had it go incredibly slow, sme with cs3's photoshop, im gonna have to ask my mates who knew what my problem was, since i cant remember, but it coud just be a simple usage thing, too many background programs running or what have you. But as far as i know theres no major problem with your version so it should be easy to rectify, is it running alone or as part of a group on a server?

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    I'm using it on

I-Mac
    Intel core 2 duo
    2.8ghz
    4gb of ram
    OSX 10.5.8
    Adobe Premier CS3 Version the latest update from today

it's working smooth with the current stuff im editing but in the past ive had it go incredibly slow, sme with cs3's photoshop, im gonna have to ask my mates who knew what my problem was, since i cant remember, but it coud just be a simple usage thing, too many background programs running or what have you. But as far as i know theres no major problem with your version so it should be easy to rectify, is it running alone or as part of a group on a server?
    Nice set up!

My MacBook isn't on a server. Also, it's the only program I have running at the time and it still lags. I'm hoping your friends can remember what you did to fix it! Thanks, man.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    Nice set up!

My MacBook isn't on a server. Also, it's the only program I have running at the time and it still lags. I'm hoping your friends can remember what you did to fix it! Thanks, man.
    i aint got a reply yet, and it was over a year ago when i was new to premier, but i think it could be if you do too much work without rendering for the first time, but that time was like two hours of editing and a constant red bar above the timeline. But if youve closed the programs, restarted the mac and is still doing it it must be something else.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Trust me, I've restarted the program, restarted the computer, rendered a billion times, and still the lag is there.

The weird thing is, it will export a 10 minute movie with 100+ cuts in about 30 seconds... so I think some setting had to change in the program to give it that delay before it plays the clip, because it's not like the program is running entirely slow.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Switch to VEGAS

It doesn't have these issues
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Undisclosed
    Try to delete the cache which may be full of temp files.

Undisclosed
    Most Adobe programs, particularly those where you're utilizing sizable files, perform best when you designate a separate drive for the temp files. Since you're using Premiere on a laptop, where is the cache located?

Btw, Jeff--you can't delete temp files in Premiere because the program will just create them again. I believe this is automatic when you begin a new project in CS3; no options are available until you name the project and save it to disc.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I wish Final Cut wasn't such a pain in the ass with capturing footage (no auto scene detection ) because I'd just use that.

Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    Switch to VEGAS
    I used to use Vegas and, from what I remember, it was somewhat limited compared to Premiere. Although, I've posted this problem on multiple forums, including a dedicated Adobe forum, and nobody can seem to give me a solution... so I might have to go back.

Quote Originally Posted by C5NOTLD View Post
    Try to delete the cache which may be full of temp files.
    I cleared the cache... the problem is still there.

Quote Originally Posted by DubiousComforts View Post
    Most Adobe programs, particularly those where you're utilizing sizable files, perform best when you designate a separate drive for the temp files. Since you're using Premiere on a laptop, where is the cache located?
    Everything is located on one drive, as I'm unable to afford a second drive currently. The thing is, it started doing this out of nowhere. It worked lightning-fast for about 6 months, then just the other day it started to do the lag.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    I used to use Vegas and, from what I remember, it was somewhat limited compared to Premiere. Although, I've posted this problem on multiple forums, including a dedicated Adobe forum, and nobody can seem to give me a solution... so I might have to go back.
    nowadays final cut pro is becoming the standard, its like premier but does some stuff better, i just cant be arsed ot make the switch when i spent al ym years at uni editing in premier pro.
    As for vegas, well that was brought up by a student and the teacher just grimaced and said what i come to agree with "your better off with i movie"

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    nowadays final cut pro is becoming the standard, its like premier but does some stuff better, i just cant be arsed ot make the switch when i spent al ym years at uni editing in premier pro.
    As for vegas, well that was brought up by a student and the teacher just grimaced and said what i come to agree with "your better off with i movie"
    I've used Final Cut Pro before and loved it. Except for one thing - IT TAKES FUCKING FOREVER TO IMPORT WHAT YOU WANT TO EDIT!!! It just completely boggles my mind that such a "sophisticated" program wouldn't use auto scene detect. I know that professionals will use cameras that record directly to hard drives, so they don't have to worry about that... BUT NOT EVERYONE HAS THAT, DAMN IT!!!

Oh yeah, I can't make the switch back to Vegas. I don't know what I was thinking. They don't make it for Mac.

Also, I uninstalled and reinstalled Premiere and now it runs WAY worse, like virtually unusable. I have no idea what's going on. So now I'm pretty much screwed as far as editing goes.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by DubiousComforts View Post
    Btw, Jeff--you can't delete temp files in Premiere because the program will just create them again. I believe this is automatic when you begin a new project in CS3; no options are available until you name the project and save it to disc.
    That sucks. When my editing system (quad core PC) temp files would start to get full on a huge project, I would notice a very slight slow down. Delete temp and all was fine in the world.

Maybe your graphics card??

Try posting over at http://forums.adobe.com/community/pr...erepro_current if that is not the one you already tried.... Someone there should be able to suggest a solution. If not, try posting your problem over at www.b-independent.com (lots of indie filmmakers).

Otherwise worst case scenario I would buy a backup drive (should have one as it comes in handy in case of a emergency). Back up your editing files. Wipe the harddrive. Reinstall all again. Then load your backup project back in. And see if it still happens.
    Last edited by C5NOTLD; 19-Nov-2009 at 09:39 PM. Reason: sp

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Okay, wow. I just messed around with Final Cut Pro and realized there's a way to do DV Start/Stop, which is ultimately a scene detection after you capture. It's more steps than you should have to take, but it solves my problem. I don't know how I didn't figure this out before and how there weren't people on these other editing forums that could tell me that months ago when I asked! I'm/they're (a) moron(s).

Farewell, Premiere - you did me great up until you decided to perform like molasses. HELLO, FINAL CUT!!!
    Last edited by MikePizzoff; 23-Nov-2009 at 01:52 PM.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    In regards to Hellsings bit on Vegas, which Vegas was the student and teacher referring too. I use Vegas Pro HD, which is used by CSI, 60 Minutes and a slew of other TV programs.

I have none of the issues you guys complain about on a constant basis with premiere and FCP, even Avid users I know dumped avid.

Vegas has auto scene detection, doesn't crash nowhere near as much as Premiere, it only crashed on me one time in the 5 years I have been using Sony Vegas.

Never have cache file or import issues.

I don't care what editing program you use, it is how good of an editor you are and how well you know the software, and of course how good the source material you're working with is in regards to editing.

I have stood by VEGAS and will continue to use VEGAS until I am forced into FCP, which would be the only other NLE I would use.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Undisclosed
    "I use Vegas Pro HD, which is used by CSI, 60 Minutes and a slew of other TV programs."

Hey DJ - not sure where you got that info from, I've watched them edit CSI - they use AVIDS. I've never worked on a show that used anything but AVID or FCP for their offline work.

I've used Vegas, it's okay - but it's not an industry used software in my experience.
    "See you in L.A., Marvin." - Jack Walsh