Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: State of Decay - Upcoming zombie MMO for consoles & PC

United States

State of Decay - Upcoming zombie MMO for consoles & PC

i think maybe our prayers have been answered. not much more than an announcement, but i'm keepin' this one on my radar.

sounds like a game made by people who actually enjoy zombie-related shit, not just cashin' in, like most game companies do these days.

Everyone who is involved in this endeavor is too excited to sleep at night. We’re up at 5:00 AM thinking about zombie MMOs, and we’re tossing and turing at midnight thinking about zombie MMOs. Our families, roommates, and SOs are being subjected to impassioned lectures on the relative merits and demerits of fast zombies versus slow zombies. Farmhouses versus apartment buildings. Supermarkets versus sporting goods stores. Crossbows versus crowbars. You just can’t take us anywhere these days.
    http://undeadlabs.com/

never played any mmo's such as WoW, but this could be the one that i take the leap for. can you imagine how bad-ass it'd be to have our own hpod survival group?

UK
    If they can get this off the ground and not screw it up then I think this could be 'the one'.

How awesome would a pvp siege be?

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    I call vapourware!

Super Moderator

UK
    I want Fallout 3 with shambler zombies, that's what I think would be seriously super awesome.

I've never personally been an MMO player at all, and usually prefer to play my games single player style - so having a game that gave you a Fallout 3 style story to play through with various side missions, main missions, areas to explore (and indeed defend and blockade), would be seriously awesome.

It would then also have to have the ability for online play, whereby you gang up together (e.g. five HPOTD'ers) and secure a shopping mall, or an apartment building, or whatever, and other such things.

United States
    i'd almost totally forgot about this and haven't checked the site in ages. however, there seems to have been a lot of updating and posting lately, and things seem to be progressing on this title. here a link to a decent Q&A covering some game details. still not in development stage from what i can gather, but getting close.

http://undeadlabs.com/2010/12/news/q...ting-and-more/

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    sounds promising!
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

United States
    well, it seems it's just going to be an arcade title with no online play, but my interest is definitely still up for this game, now called "state of decay"

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/08/...state-of-decay

http://undeadlabs.com/about-state-of-decay/
    Last edited by ProfessorChaos; 22-Aug-2012 at 03:36 AM. Reason: .

Undisclosed
    The last serious attempt at a zombie MMO that showed lots of promise was a game called Exanimus. It was going to be horror survival that had pve, pvp, a crafting system, even play as a zombie and most importantly a mature rating. I followed the game progress for over a year and couldn't wait to get into beta, but the plug got pulled before it got to public playtesting.

Super Moderator

UK
    Kind of strange how, with the sheer unabashed popularity of zombies at the moment, that we can't get a properly done and serious zombie MMORPG type deeley on the market.

The trailer looks okay ... except for all the running, jumping, bullshit "zombies" in it.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 22-Aug-2012 at 10:08 AM.

UK
    It comes across as an open-world Dead Rising style knockabout rather than DayZ, so it should be good for a giggle if nothing else. Though let's just be grateful they didn't rename it Dead StateZ, (yes, I've got my beady eye on you War Z!).

United States
    another video released this week showing the types of customizing available for your safe zones/living areas:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYQB1YM0yKI

i'm trying not to get too pumped about this game yet, but i'm really digging what i've seen thus far....probably gonna be a full-blown "must-buy" before too long.

Super Moderator

United States
    Honestly, if it's an arcade release and the price is right, I'll give it a whirl with relative expectations and probably have a decent shot at enjoying it. If the price isn't right, I'll just wait till a sale.

I do agree the crazy running zeds looked a bit over the top and not the gameplay I'd like in a survival game, at least I wouldn't want runners all the time (Morningstar Strain approach could be fun, though). But this last vid really intrigued me, so, as said, if the $ isn't too much, I'll give t a go.

-- -------- Post added at 09:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 AM ----------

By the way...

Looks like there's support for friends and multiplayer, in some fashion, so we HPOTD players should represent and do some online action together for this one. Just sayin'

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

UK
    New article on Eurogamer, it's starting to sound really quite promising:

Die as one character and you'll remain in the world as a zombie that can be killed by others.
    You can make any structure an outpost, which is a temporary way-station that creates a safe area around the building and gives you a place where you can stop in and restock.
    if you take a case of ammo you can use it immediately for combat purposes, or you can donate it to the community as a resource so it can raise morale, be used in construction projects, or resupplied to others at your base.
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...ld-zombie-game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8yvLrjnGdU

Administrator

England
    Some more info here - http://uk.ign.com/videos/2012/08/31/...state-of-decay

Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    I call vapourware!
    Seems you called wrong
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Gospel Oak/Chalk Farm (around that area), Camden, London
    UK
    Hang on a moment folks... the same kind of hype was given to a game called "John Romero's Daikatana" and look what happened there It flopped like a fat guy on a diving board.

I'm just gonna wait for a demo and make a judgement there.