Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are these worth watching

United Kingdom
    I absolutely loved Let The Right One In. I knew it wasn't a run-of-the-mil horror going into it, so I turned off my expectations, and I think if I hadn't have done that I wouldn't have enjoyed it as much. It's such a great looking film to watch.

As for the others the OP mentioned, the only one I haven't seen is May. [REC] is just awesome, and Inside isn't bad, not great but worth a watch IMO.
    Kill 'em All

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    One film that dubbs work with is The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. Everyone but the three leads were dubbed and somehow I think it works. Maybe it's because I've been watching that film since I was a kid and it's almost like a nostalgic thing, but I think it doesn't hurt the film in any way
    Last edited by bassman; 02-Dec-2009 at 12:15 PM.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by jded View Post
    It did however come together in the end as a neat little package wrapped with care that underneath held that special adolescent love story between boy and girl, even if that girl was horrific at times.
    Actually, Eli is a boy.

The problem with the US subtitled version of Let The Right One In is that it's been dumbed down and doesn't convey certain points of the story very well. The theatrical version subtitles are spot-on.

Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    One film that dubbs work with is The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. Everyone but the three leads were dubbed and somehow I think it works. Maybe it's because I've been watching that film since I was a kid and it's almost like a nostalgic thing, but I think it doesn't hurt the film in any way
    I agree and it's mainly because those productions were not only shot to be re-dubbed in English (although Leone like Argento is mainly a visual director) but also because films from that era utilized professionals that were well experienced in the craft of dubbing.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DubiousComforts View Post
    Actually, Eli is a boy.
    Are you absolutely positive about that? Because it sure felt like Eli was meant to be a girl, and I had no reason to believe otherwise except for when Eli is hugged by Oskar and Eli asks him if he'd still "like" if "she" was a (?), and then again in bed Eli mentions "I'm not a girl" when Oskar asks to go steady. My explanation for the (?) is that I took it to mean, I am not a girl but something very different and it is a secret for now because I can't manage to tell you that I am a savage killing vampire.

You are right though Dubious, there is some faulty representation when it comes to the english dubbed version because the voice that is dubbed for Eli is much more like that of a girl than a boy. In the original Swedish track Eli's voice is much more manly or boyish. Now in the behind the scenes footage you can plainly see that there is at least one girl related to Eli's part. It is evident during one of the takes in the swimming pool.

There is some kind of androgenous element going on in the film but it's beyond me to understand it completely. Maybe they felt we as Americans could not handle the true vision of the story so we needed some kind of clarification added to our version.
    Well, either way maybe it was up for us to determine and left ambiguous for a reason.
    I made my conclusion and my mind filtered it according to me.
    Last edited by jded; 03-Dec-2009 at 07:32 AM.
    "You stick your head in the sun, they're gonna come up behind you and bite off your ass."