Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Red Dead Redemption (incl. new Zombie DLC)

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Mafia 2 (never played Mafia 1, mind)...
    Not wishing to derail the 'Red Dead Thread', but crumbs was Mafia a damn fine game. Graphically shite but who can resist those old motors, Tommy guns, people called 'Paulie', "rat bastids", and cups o' cawfee.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by capncnut View Post
    Not wishing to derail the 'Red Dead Thread', but crumbs was Mafia a damn fine game. Graphically shite but who can resist those old motors, Tommy guns, people called 'Paulie', "rat bastids", and cups o' cawfee.
    Damn straight. Hence why I'm so up for Mafia 2, despite not playing Mafia 1. It's just a kick ass era for a kick ass sandboxer.

Same goes for Red Dead Redemption.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Weapons of Red Dead Redemption demo

This game is quickly becoming my number one must play game of the coming year...
    Last edited by bassman; 03-Feb-2010 at 01:32 PM.

capncnut
    Cor, it looks proper juicy and gorgeous. I'm gonna be all over this sumbitch come April.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by capncnut View Post
    Cor, it looks proper juicy and gorgeous. I'm gonna be all over this sumbitch come April.
    *high five*

Damn straight.

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I said god damn!

I'm hoping I have a new XBOX by this point. Mine died about a week ago. Just mere weeks after my warranty at Best Buy had expired.

United States
    This game has been in the works for so long. Finally we can play a real western video game. All Rockstar needs to do now is a zombie themed game.

My idea is: you start out playing when the outbreak begins and you play for "years" in the zombie apocalypse. The game should be so free that you can hold up in a farmhouse, scavenge the city, escape to an island, or survive in the wilderness. There really never has been a serious zombie video game that I can think of. Every one either has mutants or comedy. and they are set in one area.

How cool would it be to have a GTA style RPG zombie video game?

Red Dead Redemption looks great. I can't wait to wipe out a whole city and have the vultures come in (yes this will happen in the game).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deE11dYCZYE This is what the game is all about.
    Last edited by fulci fan; 05-Feb-2010 at 06:20 AM.

Super Moderator

UK
    Man alive, a GTA-style zombie game (with HOARDES of SHAMBLERS) would be super freaking awesome. City, suburban and rural areas, with various possibilities for holding up and exploring and tasks and all sorts - ooh that'd be sweet as all get-out.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Wasn't there a zombie mod for GTAIV?

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Wasn't there a zombie mod for GTAIV?
    No idea. Just a shame the PC port has been notoriously shoddy.

Even still, a mod would be no substitute for a full-on proper zombie sandbox game.

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    The people at Rockstar are pretty cool. I bet you they've got something up their sleeve that they're keeping secret, involving a zombie game. I foresee them producing one within the next 3 years.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    The people at Rockstar are pretty cool. I bet you they've got something up their sleeve that they're keeping secret, involving a zombie game. I foresee them producing one within the next 3 years.
    I hope so ... and with shamblers ... HOARDES of them.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I hope so ... and with shamblers ... HOARDES of them.
    because they really got your adrenaline going in dead rising

slow zombies cant work well in a large area, at best you will get something programmed on a large scale to bee line at you or have minor "standby" actions and thats it, and that just isnt scary. the best thing dead rising had going for it was a brief romp around a mall with a bunch of crap to throw at people. in the long run of a videogame this doesnt work. thats why valve had to introduce the special infected in left 4 dead, a small break like dead rising is fun, but could never be scary. The traditional slow zombie works in films but as the one single enemy in a videogame it cannot keep the player involved. its why you have lickers and hunters and such in resident evil, or the aliens in half life. because the control is in part of the player and not an actor there is no linear progression, even less so in a sandbox game, which results in aimless wandering through what on the whole must be an unchanging world.
    I could see a few variations to the gameplay like "drive this truck to this hospital to get supplies" or "oh no, the safe house has been broken into, time to evacuate and find another one" but on the whole the very nature of it will ensure linearity. you may have a sandbox map but you will always just be doing "point a to b and back" runs and it would grow very tiresome very fast.
    I could see how that could appeal to people of a more isolationist nature, to live out there "epic zombie survival plan" but as an entertaining videogame it limits itself far too much to be anything more than a brief niche novelty.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    because they really got your adrenaline going in dead rising

slow zombies cant work well in a large area, at best you will get something programmed on a large scale to bee line at you or have minor "standby" actions and thats it, and that just isnt scary. the best thing dead rising had going for it was a brief romp around a mall with a bunch of crap to throw at people. in the long run of a videogame this doesnt work. thats why valve had to introduce the special infected in left 4 dead, a small break like dead rising is fun, but could never be scary. The traditional slow zombie works in films but as the one single enemy in a videogame it cannot keep the player involved. its why you have lickers and hunters and such in resident evil, or the aliens in half life. because the control is in part of the player and not an actor there is no linear progression, even less so in a sandbox game, which results in aimless wandering through what on the whole must be an unchanging world.
    I could see a few variations to the gameplay like "drive this truck to this hospital to get supplies" or "oh no, the safe house has been broken into, time to evacuate and find another one" but on the whole the very nature of it will ensure linearity. you may have a sandbox map but you will always just be doing "point a to b and back" runs and it would grow very tiresome very fast.
    I could see how that could appeal to people of a more isolationist nature, to live out there "epic zombie survival plan" but as an entertaining videogame it limits itself far too much to be anything more than a brief niche novelty.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by fulci fan View Post

Buzz Killington: "Oh on the contrary, I've quite a mastery of the humorous yarn. Do any of you know the tale of how cornmeal came to be."

Cleveland: "No."

Quagmire: "No."

Peter: "No."

Buzz Killington: "Neither did the miller when he let his house that morning."