Thread: Aliens vs Predator banned in Australia

United States

Aliens vs Predator banned in Australia

A statement from Sega reads:

“SEGA Australia can today confirm that the initial submission of Aliens vs Predator has been Refused Classification by the Classification Operations Board of Australia. We will continue to investigate all options available to us, including the possibility of appeal.”
    The game contains first-person perspective, close-up depictions of human characters being subjected to various types of violence, including explicit decapitation and dismemberment as well as locational damage such as stabbing through the chest, throat, mouth or eyes. Characters can be stabbed with a Predator’s wrist blade or an Alien’s tail in depictions reminiscent of impalement. The Predator collects “trophies” by explicitly ripping off human heads, their spinal columns dangling from severed necks. Heads can be twisted completely around in order to break a character’s neck. Eyes can be stabbed through or gouged, leaving empty, bloodied eye sockets. It is noted that a player is able to combine manouvres together in quick succession, which further increases impact; for example, a Predator can stab a character through both eyes with its wrist blade and then rip off their head, with spinal column still attached. Extensive post mortem damage, including decapitation and dismemberment, is also possible.

In the opinion of the Board, the violence in the game causes a high playing impact due to its first-person, close-up perspective, conceptual nature and the level of explicit detail involved in the depictions. The game is therefore unsuitable for a minor to see or play and should be refused classification.
    http://www.gamepron.com/news/2009/12...ed-down-under/

It does sound pretty violent, but it should still be up to the consumer to decide whether or not it's content is suitable for themselves.
    Last edited by CoinReturn; 04-Dec-2009 at 01:03 AM.

capncnut
    Just sounds like the Aussies like banning shit for the hell of it. I'm surprised they havent banned Mary Poppins for "suggestive use of an umbrella".

United States
    I can't fucking wait for this game!

United States
    They make it sound so gooooood. Nice free advertising.
    I thought Aussies were badass.
    Would they play it if it had crocs in it?

England
    Although I wholeheartedly agree that at 27 years old I should be allowed to play it if I want & I sure as hell will be owning this game, its inevitable that when its released in the UK kids who really shouldnt play this will get hold of it & I guess the Aussies have decided a blanket ban is far easier to enforce than age restrictions...

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Somehow this just makes me more excited.
    Last edited by bassman; 04-Dec-2009 at 11:54 AM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Wasn't Alien vs. Predator released like... 10 years ago? How long does it take for shipping freighters to reach Australia anyway!?