Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Demons (1985)

Undisclosed
    Which one was part 3? The Church or The Orgre?

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    The Ogre...
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by capncnut View Post
    Yeah, what the fuck was that all about?
    It seems as if once films like this get into the third installment, it definitely delves into WTF territory. (ROTLD 3, AMRY of DARKNESS) ( Love Bruce Campbell by the way).

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    It seems as if once films like this get into the third installment, it definitely delves into WTF territory. (ROTLD 3, AMRY of DARKNESS) ( Love Bruce Campbell by the way).

The Ogre
    wasn't a true sequel, though. It was really just an example of Italian renamed sequel-itis - in this case, the distributors took an unrelated movie by Lamberto Bava (the script was titled simply Ogre), one that conveniently happened to be vaguely within the same genre, and forced him to slap the title of his most successful franchise on the front of it, in order to make it more bankable.
    Last edited by krakenslayer; 16-Dec-2009 at 04:18 PM.

Super Moderator

UK
    I'm sure you'll all club me with a broken chair when I say this, but - I've not seen any of the Demons movies.

Had a look at the trailers on YouTube though, and they do look good - apparently the 3-disc R2 DVD box set is the one you want, but I can't find it readily available at the moment.

You know what could really do with a special edition treatment - the Critters movies. There's a 4-disc box set out, but it's only the movies. I mean wtf is that about?!

Undisclosed
    Demons III was supposed to be The Church (La Chiesa). I think it was producers or distributors decision to call The Ogre Demons III. I still haven't seen Demons II but am thinking about getting it now.

The Ogre makes me laugh because it's a House by Cemetery ripoff and the interviewer asks Lamberto why he chose Paolo Malco and he answers because he was an actor in Italy that was the right age to play the father, acting like it was a stupid question, but you could tell the interviewer was hinting that the script is close to being the same as House. In the commentary for Demons he is asked what the inspiration for Demons is and he answers anything but Night of the Demons. I suppose they can't outright say which movie was ripped off because it could cause a lawsuit. Like when Ovidio Assonitis says he only read the Exorcist book but never saw the movie.

---------- Post added at 06:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:41 PM ----------

Or they are in denial about which movie they totally ripped the fuck off. I made that reply before I saw the second page of the thread somehow.

I think that Demons box set is horrendous in terms of transfers and sound. Anchor Bay recently retransferred it for R1 and they are awesome (I and II).

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by triste realtà View Post
    Demons III was supposed to be The Church (La Chiesa). I think it was producers or distributors decision to call The Ogre Demons III. I still haven't seen Demons II but am thinking about getting it now.
    La Chiesa came about as a result of the writers meeting together to plan a new Demons movie which soon morphed into a completely unrelated story. According to Michele Soavi, they decided to do something less "schlocky" and more "sophisticated" and the Demons (i.e. the zombie-like characters) were dropped from the movie.

It was also released under the Demons 3 title in some territories though, although the plot has no more in common with Lamberto Bava's films than The Ogre does. There were also further unofficially-retitled "Demons" movies including parts 4 (La Setta/The Sect), five (La maschera del demonio/Black Sunday 1989), and six (Luigi Cozzi's Il gatto nero). Dellamorte Dellamore/Cemetary Man has, according to IMDB, even been released as Demons '95!

Demons 1 is still the best I've seen, by far (still to see La Chiesa and La Setta, though), even Demons 2 was pretty damn dull by comparison.
    Last edited by krakenslayer; 16-Dec-2009 at 10:57 PM.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I want DEMONS on Blu-Ray. I loved that movie and still do. Not such a huge fan of Demons II
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Super Moderator

Germany
    Demons II was a bit odd. Using the same actors in different roles except for Bobby Rhodes (the pimp). He seemed to be written and acted as the same character in the first even though he was "demonized" in the first.

I watch it less frequently than the original, but it gets tossed in every once in awhile.

capncnut
    I prefer the soundtrack to Demons II over the original for some strange reason.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaos View Post
    Demons II was a bit odd. Using the same actors in different roles except for Bobby Rhodes (the pimp). He seemed to be written and acted as the same character in the first even though he was "demonized" in the first.

I watch it less frequently than the original, but it gets tossed in every once in awhile.
    I agree. It was kinda wierd. However, there is a precedent...kinda.

In ROTLD 2 they did basically the same thing with the same characters.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I've seen Demons, Demons 2, La Chiesa and La Setta and they're all good. La Setta features a pelican raping a woman, tho. It's odd, yes.

United States
    Night of the Demons sucks. Plain and simple. Demons, however, is a cinematic masterpiece and is better than any American film out there. I would say that Demons is on the top five of Lamberto Bava's films. I think that Sergio Stivaletti did a beautiful job on the effects (as always). What I like about Demons is that you feel like such a bad ass when watching it because you think: "I could be that guy.".

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by fulci fan View Post
    Demons, however, is a cinematic masterpiece and is better than any American film out there.
    While I love Demons and wont knock it, this quote is a prime example of sheer fanboy lunacy. I could name a hundred, if not more, American films that absolutely splash Demons to the four winds.

Perhaps you should've put an IMO on the end of it, chap.

Undisclosed

You haven't seen Demons??!

Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I'm sure you'll all club me with a broken chair when I say this, but - I've not seen any of the Demons movies.

Because I don't have veteran status here on HPotD, I wouldn't presume to raise a chair to you....but yeah you should be clubbed by someone ;-)

Just kidding, I think so many living dead fans like "Demons" because it was a well written story with Argento at the screenplay helm.
    "Don't let the name fool you, there is no Hope in a world of the dead."