Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Demons (1985)

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by fulci fan View Post
    Night of the Demons sucks. Plain and simple. Demons, however, is a cinematic masterpiece and is better than any American film out there. I would say that Demons is on the top five of Lamberto Bava's films. I think that Sergio Stivaletti did a beautiful job on the effects (as always). What I like about Demons is that you feel like such a bad ass when watching it because you think: "I could be that guy.".
    Woah Woah Woah. . . Night of the Demons was pretty freaking awesome IMO. . . not as good as Demons maybe, but still a pretty great example of 80's horror. Now as far as Demons being a masterpiece and "better than any American film out there" . . .. . . .well sir. . . . .

My friends here tend to disagree.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

United States
    haha. Yeah, but I never think of Romero's "Dead" films as American films for some reason (even though they are). I guess because they are so different from every other American horror film.

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Just saw this last night for the first time ever. Awesome awesome awesome!!! I need to have this in my collection - perfect movie for watching with friends. The soundtrack kicks ass, too! Claudio Simonetti did a great job with the score, then ya got Billy Idol, Crue, Accept, and Saxon!

Anybody ever see the sequel? Any good?
    Last edited by MikePizzoff; 27-Feb-2010 at 05:33 PM.

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    Just saw this last night for the first time ever. Awesome awesome awesome!!! I need to have this in my collection - perfect movie for watching with friends. The soundtrack kicks ass, too! Claudio Simonetti did a great job with the score, then ya got Billy Idol, Crue, Accept, and Saxon!

Anybody ever see the sequel? Any good?
    Correct on all counts; the first Demons movie absolutely rocks. The sequel, I'm sad to say, fails in almost every area the original excelled.

Where Demons had memorable characters, Demons 2 had instantly forgettable drones; there Demons had exciting action, Demons 2 just had people running, screaming and dying in various boring ways without even putting up a fight; where Demons had an amazing soundtrack by Simonetti (not to mention Billy Idol, Motley Crue, Accept, Go West and Saxon), Demons 2 had a dull soundtrack by Simon Boswell.

Super Moderator

UK
    I've still got to see Demons, and quite want too as well, but the Demons 1 & 2 box set is hard to find these days, otherwise I'd have to import it and that's a pain in the arse.

Looks like a cool movie, mind.

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Damn. Thanks, Kraken. I guess I'll leave my Demons 2 experience go as far as the trailer for it.

"Did you bring the popcorn?"
    "Shut up, bitch!"

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    Damn. Thanks, Kraken. I guess I'll leave my Demons 2 experience go as far as the trailer for it.

"Did you bring the popcorn?"
    "Shut up, bitch!"
    Don't get me wrong, I guess there is enough gore and weirdness to make it worth a one-off watch. Just make sure you're prepared for an inferior sequel and that should help limit the disappointment.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I guess there is enough gore and weirdness to make it worth a one-off watch. Just make sure you're prepared for an inferior sequel and that should help limit the disappointment.
    Would you say Demons 2 is to Demons 1, what Zombi 3 ("Zombie Flesh Eaters 2") is to Zombi 2 ("Zombie Flesh Eaters")?

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Would you say Demons 2 is to Demons 1, what Zombi 3 ("Zombie Flesh Eaters 2") is to Zombi 2 ("Zombie Flesh Eaters")?
    It's not as much of a massive shift in tone and content as that. It still feels like it goes for a similar atmosphere, but just falls flat. It just delivers a lot less than its predecessor.

It's more like what Creepshow 2 is to Creepshow 1.

Undisclosed
    i disagree. demons 2 is still a pretty damn good movie. alot of good effects. and as far as demons 1 having memorable characters?....c'mon... the effects in demons 2 are better than 1. its only missing white punks on dope. lol

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by Minerva_Zombi View Post
    i disagree. demons 2 is still a pretty damn good movie. alot of good effects. and as far as demons 1 having memorable characters?....c'mon... the effects in demons 2 are better than 1. its only missing white punks on dope. lol
    LOL

It's missing a lot more than that, though:

Demons 2 has no rousing heavy metal fight sequences, no post apocalyptic imagery, no nail-biting finale, no noirish neon cinematography, no larger-than-life characters... nor does it really have anything that makes it a unique movie in its own right. It's just people dying in an apartment complex, while trying to escape.

Even its connection to the first movie was convoluted and confusing. The obvious route to go down would have been following on from the Armageddon scenario of the first, but instead we're forced from the start to accept that that was all taken care of and no one even mentions it except in the movie-within-a-movie playing on TV (in what looks like a far better sequel to Demons than the actual film itself).

United States
    It's not as much of a massive shift in tone and content as that. It still feels like it goes for a similar atmosphere, but just falls flat. It just delivers a lot less than its predecessor.

It's more like what Creepshow 2 is to Creepshow 1.

Big Time.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I am personally not a huge fan of Demons 2, I enjoy it, but prefer Demons 1 and will usually pull Demons from the DVD shelf to watch on a regular basis, however it has been two or three years since I watched Demons 2.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Undisclosed
    LOL

It's missing a lot more than that, though:

Demons 2 has no rousing heavy metal fight sequences, no post apocalyptic imagery, no nail-biting finale, no noirish neon cinematography, no larger-than-life characters... nor does it really have anything that makes it a unique movie in its own right. It's just people dying in an apartment complex, while trying to escape.

Even its connection to the first movie was convoluted and confusing. The obvious route to go down would have been following on from the Armageddon scenario of the first, but instead we're forced from the start to accept that that was all taken care of and no one even mentions it except in the movie-within-a-movie playing on TV (in what looks like a far better sequel to Demons than the actual film itself).
    These in my opinion are upgrades. lol.

And as far as "larger than life" characters in demons 1? C'mon... be serious. lol

Great Britain
    After reading this thread, I had forgotten how good the film was.

So this dropped through the letter box today.

Ive no idea which version this is lol, its got a running time of 88 minutes which is 2 minutes longer than the Directors cut and is from 2006 Blackhorse Entertainment.