Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CREEPSHOW on disc

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicX View Post
    There was a 4-front version of dawn of the dead that had no gore in it...I shit you not.
    Yeah, that one I had to keep for the giggles.

The only major gore scenes to stay in were the helicopter gag and Stephen's headshot. Of course there were various headshots still kept in but they were not the messiest of the bunch. Virtually everything big was removed. For example, the 107 basement clean-up was two gun shots long.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Exactly...no amputees by the trucks, Roger doesn't get his leg "fingered" by the girl in red...man so much was missing! No guts at the end, no blood pressure machine, no decaptitation of mannequin by Tom on the sidecar!!! Much less machete zombie...And this was the version I saw age 13 and fell in love with, only when I really started to geek out on it did I realise just how much extra footage there was from both this, the cannes and argento versions...I ended up seeing it in stages, with a little more gore and drama each time.
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Super Moderator

UK
    Damn man, just looked at that segment on my R2 2-disc DVD (at one hour in exactly) - and yeah, "crotch" is overdubbed. I never noticed that before.

They reference it in the commentary (which I listened to twice - guess my attention isn't so great ) ... they say in the Work Print that there is "cunt" used, but not in the released version - "it's always been that way", so sayeth the commentary moderator.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Just for everyone's information.....the documentary that is on the R2 release of creepshow is on youtube. I finally found it. So for you folks in the US, it's available for a viewing.

I'm not posting a link as i'm not sure it would be acceptable. Although it isn't the actual film, so I dunno. Mods?

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Damn man, just looked at that segment on my R2 2-disc DVD (at one hour in exactly) - and yeah, "crotch" is overdubbed. I never noticed that before.

They reference it in the commentary (which I listened to twice - guess my attention isn't so great ) ... they say in the Work Print that there is "cunt" used, but not in the released version - "it's always been that way", so sayeth the commentary moderator.
    ...which makes it all the more interesting that Capn swears his pre-cert UK VHS has the offending word. I'm now wondering if that version might actually have some other footage from the workprint in it, like the extended doctor's visit, etc. Cap?

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    ...which makes it all the more interesting that Capn swears his pre-cert UK VHS has the offending word. I'm now wondering if that version might actually have some other footage from the workprint in it, like the extended doctor's visit, etc. Cap?
    It's interesting really. This R2 2-disc DVD is rated 15, and they do say "cunt" in the commentary at that scene ... weird, eh?

Scotland
    It's interesting really. This R2 2-disc DVD is rated 15, and they do say "cunt" in the commentary at that scene ... weird, eh?
    I think they are allowed to use the word in a 15 rated film nowadays as long as it's not overused or gratuitous. One example is Ed's introduction in Shaun of the Dead which was rated 15 despite his use of "cunt".

If you think about it, "cunt" would actually work better in the scene. Billie is supposed to be acting in a shocking and inappropriate way, in polite company, to the point that several of the people she is in conversation with actually turn around and leave, humiliating Henry.

Administrator

England
    Im pretty sure they only rate the main feature and not the extra's.

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Nah, they rate everything on the disc by law. There's even instances where the extras have warranted the DVD to be rated at a higher level that the main feature, including Jaws (film: PG, DVD:12) and even Land of the Dead (film: 15, DVD: 18). Click here for the records of the Creepshow DVD extras BBFC certification.
    Last edited by krakenslayer; 17-Dec-2009 at 08:30 PM.

capncnut
    I might be wrong but I swear it's there. I'll give the tape a spin soon to confirm.

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by capncnut View Post
    I might be wrong but I swear it's there. I'll give the tape a spin soon to confirm.
    That would be cool. Also, as I say, keep an eye out for any other "deleted" material on that tape. It's not impossible that it's actually a work print of the movie; that version of the movie is pretty darn rare, so it wouldn't be surprising if this detail had just been overlooked.

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Negative, son. Land Of The Dead was rated 15 but the DVD was 18, solely because of a few scenes in the extra material.

That would be cool. Also, as I say, keep an eye out for any other "deleted" material on that tape. It's not impossible that it's actually a work print of the movie; that version of the movie is pretty darn rare, so it wouldn't be surprising if this detail had just been overlooked.
    Okie dokes.

Undisclosed

So my only hope is the workprint frequency impaired recording or capncnut's gracious VHS sound recording to hard drive? which might also be riddled with noise (I drive myself crazy about this stuff, trying to fix noisy bootlegs and such, but then I always put way too much treble and not enough bass and it's almost as bad as when I started.)

I remember it said cunt when it first made the rounds on pay cable but I can't remember when it got crotched. I even checked an old recording of the movie and it said crotch and this one had an old WB logo at the end, not the cloudy one, the red and black one called the big W that ended its run in 1984, so it had to be done in the 80s. It wasn't "always" crotch, though. It is entirely possible that early VHSs of the film would have the undubbed line, and I have seen someone else claim that their VHS does on another board somewhere. I cannot believe they didn't have the original line for the R2 special edition. I wonder who the grinch is that stole that line.

Do they have that line anywhere in the special features, clear as a bell and recordable? Cause there is online access to that except for the workprint footage, I think someone took that from a bootleg DVD that is sold online or a download that was available separate from the PAL SE and it's on youtube twice. Search for creepshow deleted scenes.

---------- Post added 18-Dec-2009 at 12:12 AM ---------- Previous post was 17-Dec-2009 at 10:16 PM ----------

OK I just watched the commentary and Savini expresses doubt twice about the moderator's claims that "it's always been that way" and I think even George said something. The commentator is wrong! It's been that way for a lllooonnnggg time (longer than Richard can hold his breath) but not always. I don't know about every VHS release though because I never bought one. I wasn't big on buying VHS. Only ever bought Dawn and Day moviewise, and Day was LP speed.

(I compared the widescreen picture to the WB full screen again, though, and there is a slice more horizontal picture on the widescreen. but it is minimal. )

capncnut
    The VHS says 'cunt'. No doubt about it.

Also, I checked for Krackers if there are any other scenes and to be honest, I wouldn't know. I'm not exactly up on the film scene-for-scene, so maybe you can let me know if there are any of note that I should be looking for.

ViP

United States
    Triste, I'll check my laserdisc tonight. Should offer considerably better fidelity than VHS. What is the timecode, roughly?