Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Original Creepshow poster on eBay 27x41

ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    "Some soiling on back"? And what kind of soiling might that be, I wonder?

What makes this worth such an expensive purchase, anyway? Just because this guy says it's an original? Why not pay 10-20 bucks for a reprint of the exact same poster but without the folds and "soiling"?

...You're not the owner, I hope.
    Last edited by bassman; 12-Jan-2010 at 08:28 PM.

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    "Some soiling on back"? And what kind of soiling might that be, I wonder?
    Where the current owner jizzed over it, after paying a fraction of what it's going for now.

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by capncnut View Post
    Where the current owner jizzed over it, after paying a fraction of what it's going for now.
    Apparently he used is as a "blumpkin" blanket.

Undisclosed

What makes this worth such an expensive purchase, anyway? Just because this guy says it's an original? Why not pay 10-20 bucks for a reprint of the exact same poster but without the folds and "soiling"?

Even with soiling that's not a bad price for a original Creepshow one sheet with comic book art. The comic book art ones tend to sell at a higher price than the other creepshow one sheets. Originals will always be worth more and will go up in value where reprints won't. The folds are common to theatrical posters (basically prior to 1990)

If it was mint then it would be close to a $250-$300 poster. Even original NOTLD 1 sheets have really risen in value in the last three years (going from around $600 to $1900). In real estate it's all about location, with posters it's all about being original.

Although I have always liked the ticket taker artwork better.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Yeah, I know that originals go for more. I'm just saying that it would make more sense to buy the reprint for a fraction of the price and you get the exact same thing. With no folds or soiling.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Yeah, I know that originals go for more. I'm just saying that it would make more sense to buy the reprint for a fraction of the price and you get the exact same thing. With no folds or soiling.
    i'm right there with ya on that. the day that i fork over $80 for something i can buy for $15 as a reprint is the day that someone needs to commit me to an institution.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Undisclosed
    If you just want the poster image then you are right - it is better to buy the cheaper priced reprint.

But if you collect movie posters that were in theaters - those people tend to go with the originals at the higher prices as they will usually go up in price while they have them in their collection.

Undisclosed
    Yeah, I know that originals go for more. I'm just saying that it would make more sense to buy the reprint for a fraction of the price and you get the exact same thing.
    It doesn't make any sense to a one-sheet collector because a reprint is not an original. Why not just tell stamp or coin collectors that it makes more fiscal sense to collect images of actual stamps or coins?

People take pride in their collections, and I don't know anyone that actually "collects" reprints. And to be honest, the prices being charged for repro one-sheets are blatant rip-offs: $20-$30 for something that costs a buck to print. You'd have to be a complete idiot to pay that kind of mark-up.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    All of my DAWN posters are originals. I own all three colors

Green Red and Yellow

Yellow's are the most rare, Reds are more common, Greens are in the middle. I can sell my original red for about $50.00, the green will land me about $100 and the Yellow close to $150.00

I also have all 3 styles of the DAWN remake posters, and both styles of Land of the Dead. I have US and UK Shaun posters and one of the last original print TDK posters with heath Ledger behind the frosted glass with Why So Serious in blood on the glass (That goes for about $200 now a days.)
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

ViP

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    All of my DAWN posters are originals. I own all three colors

Green Red and Yellow

Yellow's are the most rare, Reds are more common, Greens are in the middle. I can sell my original red for about $50.00, the green will land me about $100 and the Yellow close to $150.00
    I'll take the yellow and red right now. Pack em up and I'll paypal you. Lets see some pictures!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Guys, I understand that people collect original posters. I was simply stating my opinion that it's silly to spend so much money on something that will hang on your wall for looks....when it's also folded and soiled.

Scotland
    Guys, I understand that people collect original posters. I was simply stating my opinion that it's silly to spend so much money on something that will hang on your wall for looks....when it's also folded and soiled.
    I'm with Bassman on this. The difference between a reprint and an original is all in your head. I think coin and stamp collectors who spend hundreds are suckers too.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    I think coin and stamp collectors who spend hundreds are suckers too.
    By all means keep right on thinking that while dealers and collectors laugh all the way to the bank.

My father ran a "small" coin and paper money show for ten years in order to support the local volunteer fire dept. Those guys made so much cash that they had to hire armed guards as security.

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by DubiousComforts View Post
    By all means keep right on thinking that while dealers and collectors laugh all the way to the bank.

My father ran a "small" coin and paper money show for ten years in order to support the local volunteer fire dept. Those guys made so much cash that they had to hire armed guards as security.
    Yeah, but you could say the same about gamblers. Someone makes money out of it, but it's not usually the "enthusiasts", it's the businessmen exploiting them. Like a gambler, sometimes a collector will make a profit out of it, but rarely enough to cover all the money they've plowed into their hobby over the years. Collectables have their own "bubbles" that burst, just like all other commodities.

I know most collectors don't do it for the money, but for the "fun" of it. Fair enough, each to his own. Just because I see no satisfaction in it, doesn't mean there isn't real, worthwhile enjoyment in it.

I just really, really struggle to understand the magical essence that supposedly makes an "original" poster (which is, of course, itself a reproduction of an original painting) worth so much more than a reprint.
    Last edited by krakenslayer; 13-Jan-2010 at 06:57 PM.