Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Avatar" beats "Titanic" at the Box Office...

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    I feel like I'm the only person in the world who has always had ZERO interest in seeing this movie.
    You aren't alone. I haven't seen it either. And for people debating which movie is #1, nothing will come close to Gone with the Wind. Adjusted for inflation, it earned 1.5 billion in US sales alone. And no, I didn't think that movie was good either.

United States
    Why they even bother with money is beyond me. Well, actually, it's not; I know damn well why they do it. They do it to skew the stats in their favor.

Money should NEVER have entered into this. From the day of the first moving picture, the number of tickets bought should have been the only measured stat, period. It's eternally consistent. Three tickets was always three tickets, is still three tickets, and always will be three tickets.

But they wouldn't be able to put a spin on that, and we can't ever use anything that can't be manipulated.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by SRP76 View Post
    Why they even bother with money is beyond me. Well, actually, it's not; I know damn well why they do it. They do it to skew the stats in their favor.

Money should NEVER have entered into this. From the day of the first moving picture, the number of tickets bought should have been the only measured stat, period. It's eternally consistent. Three tickets was always three tickets, is still three tickets, and always will be three tickets.

But they wouldn't be able to put a spin on that, and we can't ever use anything that can't be manipulated.
    I agree 100%. If this was the rule, the debates/arguements would cease to exist.

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Yep, and that would suck all the fun right out! Also, yes, we Americans (or is it people in general?) money-obsessed and evaluating that money, its fluctuations and transition, more than is healthy. How can the economy be in such bad shape as they tell us if a movie can make this much in such a short time? It doesn't gel with me... I know all the psychological theories and all, but still... it's nearly impossible to explain.