Page 12 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones (TV series) excitement

Undisclosed
    So, for someone who hasn't seen a single episode of the series and hasn't read any of the books where would be a good place to start;
    books or tv?

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by krisvds View Post
    So, for someone who hasn't seen a single episode of the series and hasn't read any of the books where would be a good place to start;
    books or tv?
    watch the first 15 minutes of the pilot. the opening pre credits scene and the introduction of ned stark and his kids will either sell you on both books and series or confirm worst taste of the year all years
    Last edited by Danny; 03-Apr-2012 at 05:41 AM. Reason: hgfhfh

United States
    So awesome start. They have so many subplots to keep up with season, and so far they are doing a great job of doing so. God I love this show!

Quote Originally Posted by CoinReturn View Post
    Edit: LOL clang, how did I just notice your avatar? So awesome.
    Lol, thanks. . .I havn't been posting much recently, so the avatar hasn't exactly been out there much.

-- -------- Post added at 05:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:46 AM ----------

books or tv?
    Honestly the first season was very very spot on with the first book, so I guess it depends on if you would rather have the plot revealed by the show or the book. The books are goddamned wonderful, but so is the show. . . so your pick really.

-- -------- Post added at 05:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:47 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    watch the first 15 minutes of the pilot. the opening pre credits scene and the introduction of ned stark and his kids will either sell you on both books and series or confirm worst taste of the year all years
    Word up.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Loved it, but there were so many bases covered in the season opener that it just flew by.
    Certainly did. I'd just cracked opened a beer and the flippin thing ended.

-- -------- Post added at 11:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:18 AM ----------

books or tv?
    Knew nothing at all about the books and I'm not a fantasy geek, by any stretch. I was a bit dubious about the show, TBH, but by the third/fourth episode, I was hooked.

Best thing on the tele.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Administrator

England
    S02E01 questions...

1) The boy you see on the back of the cart at the end is a bastard child of the (dead) Kings? Do we know who the mother is?
    2) The man Ed Stark's wife is now going to meet (for his ships), is the (dead) Kings brother?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    1) yes it is and no we dont.
    2) yeah it is, one of the two.

Administrator

England
    1) yes it is and no we dont.
    2) yeah it is, one of the two.
    RE 2 - Sorry the King had/has two other brothers?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

England
    In the same way as The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones doesnt seem to hold back on content, I was suprised to see

the baby being killed, even though it happened just out of shot, the fact they did it at all was pretty shocking for TV! I guess Joffrey is trying to kill off anyone who could possibly rival his claim to the throne due to the king having slept with half the women in the land and produced a lot of bastard kids as a result!

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    RE 2 - Sorry the King had/has two other brothers?
    renly and stannis, renly we saw in season 1, stannis is the new guy from the islands who was burning the statues on the beach.

Administrator

England
    renly and stannis, renly we saw in season 1, stannis is the new guy from the islands who was burning the statues on the beach.
    Thanks! I do find it a little hard to keep up with all the characters

I don't even recall Renly?!

EDIT: The family trees (& general info) here help - http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Baratheon
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    very nice second episode tonight. Happy they finally got to Arya and Gendry.

Neil. . . .Renly is the youngest Baratheon brother, he was the one who had that gay shaving scene last season. . . He has the support of a lot of the southern lords. . most notably the Tyrells who will begin to play a bigger part in this season. Stannis is the older brother, and the rightful heir to the throne. . more or less. But he is less popular than Renly and stubborn as all hell.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    Neil. . . .Renly is the youngest Baratheon brother, he was the one who had that gay shaving scene last season. . . He has the support of a lot of the southern lords. . most notably the Tyrells who will begin to play a bigger part in this season. Stannis is the older brother, and the rightful heir to the throne. . more or less. But he is less popular than Renly and stubborn as all hell.
    I must admit I have to dip onto the internet to keep up with everything. Am I being slow? I suspect it must be quite confusing to many viewers...

Sites like this prove useful:-
    http://www.gameofthronesmap.org/
    http://viewers-guide.hbo.com/game-of.../guide/houses/
    http://viewers-guide.hbo.com/game-of...map/locations/
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    nah. . not being slow at all. Ive read the books a few times so I have the characters pretty straight. But I can see how confusing it would be if you havn't read the books. I hope it doesn't ever turn off non book readers tho.. .that would be a shame.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    nah. . not being slow at all. Ive read the books a few times so I have the characters pretty straight. But I can see how confusing it would be if you havn't read the books. I hope it doesn't ever turn off non book readers tho.. .that would be a shame.
    LOL! Had to pause the last episode and do a quick game of thrones wiki to keep up with the characters

Found the last episode interesting, but it did seem to just tread water a bit and not really go anywhere (until the very end)!?

ps: Considering going thru the books!?
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    LOL! Had to pause the last episode and do a quick game of thrones wiki to keep up with the characters

Found the last episode interesting, but it did seem to just tread water a bit and not really go anywhere (until the very end)!?

ps: Considering going thru the books!?
    just torrent the ebooks, spend a weekend or two reading them.

then complain that martin will probably die before a song of spring comes out like the rest of us