Page 21 of 36 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones (TV series) excitement

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    But why the special interest in Theon? Why the vendetta?
    RB is a monster. He does worse than this to other, less prominent guests that fall into his hands. Theon is of somewhat more lasting worth, as he is highborn, a war leader (prior to his capture) and the last son of Balon Greyjoy (current King of the Iron Islands)...so he gets special treatment.

To give you a (not too spoilerish) idea from one of the wikis:

He is a capable manipulator and possesses a low cold cunning, particularly good at thinking on his feet, though less savvy when it comes to long term consequences and intricate politics. Ramsay openly enjoys abusive and sick practices such as having young women stripped naked and released into the Bolton forests, before hunting them with a pack of feral dogs. He gives a quick death to women who give him good sport (after raping them first), then flays their corpses. He likes to name his dogs after the women he enjoys most to "honor" them. The women who don't give him good sport are raped and then flayed alive. All the skins of his kills are brought back with him to the Dreadfort as gruesome trophies. The bodies of the woman are fed to his dogs.

So the world in which ASOIF takes place is not the neo-vic brand of entertainment I gather you normally enjoy, Neil, if you don't mind my saying so. There will be a lot of earthy yuckiness (blood, piss, sex, violence etc.) of this sort ahead.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Administrator

England
    ^^ So he's a psycho then!?!? Doesn't really come across as having lost it so much on TV!? Guess because you don't know that sort of background at least!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

United States
    ^^ So he's a psycho then!?!? Doesn't really come across as having lost it so much on TV!? Guess because you don't know that sort of background at least!
    Things are playing out somewhat differently in the TV show with regards to his introduction, and I think they are leaving so much vague for some sort of reveal in this season's finale. I honestly know a lot of people who haven't read the books who still are asking me who the guy who's torturing Theon is.

And yeah, he is a very disturbing character. I actually cringed my way through those few torture chapters and their aftermath in the book...very uncomfortable reading.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Administrator

England
    I'm going through the book(s), buy just behind the TV series. Sort of fills things in nicely...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

United States
    I'm going through the book(s), buy just behind the TV series. Sort of fills things in nicely...
    Well, I enjoy the story arc and appreciate both Theon and RB a lot (for what I feel are their respective purposes in the story), but it gets to be tough going on those chapters. This was sort of one of the noticeable structural departures from the book, which streamlines a few matters, but leaves another few things up in the air. I'll be interested in whether you think it was done for better or worse when you are caught up.

United States
    Yeah I've been a bit put off by the lack of explination for Theon's torture myself. Mostly because I feel it may alienate non-book readers from the story. . but I still hold faith that they will eventually get to the point in some grand reveal fashion. Hopefully the non-book readers will be filled in the their satisfaction.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Administrator

England
    Argh! We missed an episode this week, so have to wait till next week for ep9...

Did you US folks have to suffer too? Or are you guys a week ahead of us now?
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

United States
    Argh! We missed an episode this week, so have to wait till next week for ep9...

Did you US folks have to suffer too? Or are you guys a week ahead of us now?
    No, we're still on track with you folks in the UK. Maybe it's my ethnocentrism, but I assumed the new episode was not premiered due to the U.S. holiday weekend.

Ireland
    Yeh, I think it's a Memorial Day thing.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Yeh, I think it's a Memorial Day thing.
    And more to the point a Ratings thing. Ratings would have suffered over the holiday weekend with people out and about. And the second to last episode is usually when all the good stuff happens. So they wanted full viewership on their big episode.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Super Moderator

United States
    One of the big scenes I've been waiting for since the show was announced and I feel they definitely did it justice!

How did you guys feel about the...

Red Wedding?

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    How did you guys feel about the...

Red Wedding?

No hyperbole, one of the most shocking moments in TV history. I thought it was unbelievably well done, and the slight differences from the book's account of things made for more impact, imo. Even though we knew it was coming, my friend and I were pretty shocked at the brutality of it. As the silence of the credits wafted over us, the only thing I could get out was "...dude..."

So yeah, besides that it was well paced and well shot. Definitely a top tier episode. I'm just glad it wasn't the finale, we get one more

Administrator

England
    Jesus H Christ!
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

United States
    What? No Shootem or Clang reactions, yet?

And, CoinReturn, I completely agree with your spoiler tagged summation!

Administrator

England
    It was an epic bit of TV...

My only quibble was the Hollywood'esque nature of Arya turning up just at the 'right' second...
    -Carl Sagan