Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Speccy weccy woo!

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    I remember playing Elite on one of these back in the day. My step brother had one and I inherited it when he got a SNES. I used to sit on my bed at night, wrapped in the duvet (which was, in my imagination, a starship cockpit), exploring a virtually endless 3D (wireframe) universe and thinking that life just didn't get any cooler than this.
    Hah, sounds like something I would do as a kiddie.

United Kingdom
    Did you ever sit for hours typing in a program out of one of the Spectrum magazines?...Only to find it didn't fucking work....

10 PRINT "bollocks"
    20 GOTO 10
    Kill 'em All

Great Britain
    My brother still has his original 16k, small rubber key board modal in original delivery box, he even sent off at the time to buy the extra chips to boost it to a mighty 48k, you had to fit them yourself lol.

United States
    You guys talk about this machine with the same reverence I hold for the C64. . . . . .Makes me want to get an old machine. . .not an emulator. . .a real old C64!!

All I have to say is this. . . .Load "*",8,1
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by capncnut View Post
    Well it's kinda like 360 vs PS3. Both were popular, Commodore 64 had a bigger memory, but Spectrum had the games. Also the graphics were kinda blocky with the Commodore, which is strange because while the Spectrum was only 48K, it was much sharper.

Turbo Esprit on the Commodore

Turbo Esprit on the Spectrum
    Oh, here we go... fanboy flame war 80's style!

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by Rancid Carcass View Post
    Oh, here we go... fanboy flame war 80's style!
    LOL. It was like that back in the eighties too. The Speccy kids hated the Commodore kids and vice versa. I had a Speccy, Commodore and an Amstrad at one point, but the Speccy always won hands down. That said, some Commodore conversions were better, no doubt about it.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    This morning, I picked up my first boxed ZX Spectrum since the early eighties, after answering an ad in one of the local rags over the weekend. Dude was about 60 odd and was selling it, mint boxed, with an old portable Sony tape player, also boxed, and 150 games for just £40.

For those of you who forget what a boxed Speccy looks like, here you go.

Has the Horizons demo cassette inside, with the manual, cables, plastic cover sheet. Games are all in their original packaging (damn I forgot how big some of those were) including a load of the greats: The Hobbit, Way Of The Exploding Fist, Bombjack, Raid Over Moscow, Daley Thompson's Decathlon, etc. Even has a text adventure writer. Of course I playtested it, infact chose three games at random and all of them loaded without any problems whatsoever.

The dude seemed a bit hard up, so my generous side took over so I gave him double the asking price, as the whole package in such good condition is easily worth that. Also, I got a call from my old pal Lee, who says he has another 50+ games that he's willing to hand over for a small fee (i.e. a drink) because his Speccy is broken and can't play them.

Oh, and did I mention that I already have an unboxed +2 with about 100 games, original and pirate...

Anyway, I know this should be in the games discussion but this is just a little brag, nothing more, so I decided to put it here. Joy!

The 48K ZX Speccy!!!!!! Ahhh rubber keys and everything!!!! LOVE IT.

I grew up with this machine...I even remember about 1988 when we upgraded to a 128k version, with the attached tape deck!!!!! Man that was awesome. Playing Robocop on it for hours, it took like 10 minutes to load.

Scrabble was the only game I played with my dad during my childhood, good memories.

I even had the lightgun for the 128k machine....a LIGHTGUN!! Had Operation Wolf on it and everything...

And who could forget the Dizzy games?

Ahh you've got me all excited thinking about it.

I had an argument with my dad that ended up getting a whole glass of beer spilt on the 128k machine, thereby ruining it...a completely stupid accident! Damn.

Ahh I'll never forget typing in those load commands...
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Of War View Post
    Did you ever sit for hours typing in a program out of one of the Spectrum magazines?...Only to find it didn't fucking work....
    Haha, yeah. I got a few (wait for it...) CRASH magazines that have some of those old games that you have to type in. There's a fantastic website called World of Spectrum, that has a whole bunch of free and legal to use emulators (I recommend ZX Spin) with all the old magazine pages scanned so you can waste your time typing in those old games again. Not to mention practically every game released for the Speccy in it's archives.

10 PRINT "bollocks"
    20 GOTO 10
    Everytime I left my mate's house, I'd always leave him with the following message:

Alex is a silly cunt
    Alex is a silly cunt
    Alex is a silly cunt
    Alex is a silly cunt
    Alex is a silly cunt
    Alex is a silly cunt
    Alex is a silly cunt
    Alex is a silly cunt
    Alex is a silly cunt
    Alex is a silly cunt

Ah, the memories...

Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    You guys talk about this machine with the same reverence I hold for the C64. . . . . .Makes me want to get an old machine. . .not an emulator. . .a real old C64!!
    You can pick 'em up quite cheap really. It's just finding folks who are willing to part with their games.

Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicX View Post
    I grew up with this machine...I even remember about 1988 when we upgraded to a 128k version, with the attached tape deck!!!!! Man that was awesome. Playing Robocop on it for hours, it took like 10 minutes to load.
    Robocop is one of the greatest games ever made on the Speccy. Still immensely playable.
    Last edited by capncnut; 05-Feb-2010 at 11:17 AM.

Ireland
    This morning, I picked up my first boxed ZX Spectrum since the early eighties, after answering an ad in one of the local rags over the weekend. Dude was about 60 odd and was selling it, mint boxed, with an old portable Sony tape player, also boxed, and 150 games for just £40.

For those of you who forget what a boxed Speccy looks like, here you go.

Has the Horizons demo cassette inside, with the manual, cables, plastic cover sheet. Games are all in their original packaging (damn I forgot how big some of those were) including a load of the greats: The Hobbit, Way Of The Exploding Fist, Bombjack, Raid Over Moscow, Daley Thompson's Decathlon, etc. Even has a text adventure writer. Of course I playtested it, infact chose three games at random and all of them loaded without any problems whatsoever.

The dude seemed a bit hard up, so my generous side took over so I gave him double the asking price, as the whole package in such good condition is easily worth that. Also, I got a call from my old pal Lee, who says he has another 50+ games that he's willing to hand over for a small fee (i.e. a drink) because his Speccy is broken and can't play them.

Oh, and did I mention that I already have an unboxed +2 with about 100 games, original and pirate...

Anyway, I know this should be in the games discussion but this is just a little brag, nothing more, so I decided to put it here. Joy!
    Cool!!!!!!

Did you get 'Turbo Esprit' for it? One of my fav games back in the day. That and 'Saboteur' and 'Cobra' and....and...

---------- Post added at 12:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:30 PM ----------

10 PRINT "bollocks"
    20 GOTO 10
    Yes.

Used to get 'Crash' magazine and type some of the games in. Those that worked were terrible. Still spent hours typing the code out though.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

capncnut
    Yep, I have Turbo Esprit and Cobra.

Ireland
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....