Thread: What are the bets this becomes a movie location at some point?

Super Moderator

UK

What are the bets this becomes a movie location at some point?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100205/..._town_for_sale

Latvia sold a deserted town built around a Soviet-era radar station to a Russian investor who bid $3.1 million at an unusual auction Friday, officials said.

The town formerly known as Skrunda-1 housed about 5,000 people during the Cold War but was abandoned over a decade ago after the Russian military withdrew from Latvia following the Soviet collapse.
    Probably will just be development, but man ... sounds like a nifty filming location to me.

United States
    Cool story. I saw a feature on the Chernobyl disaster and all the ghost towns it created....if you could get around the radiation, those would also be great places for a horror film.

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    There are TONS of places like this around the world. I'm sure some pretty close to you and you don't even know it.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    There are TONS of places like this around the world. I'm sure some pretty close to you and you don't even know it.
    yep yep, especially in the u.s theres tons of abanoned places that are used for film sets, especially hospitals. In the uk its there too but a bit more hidden, like theres an abandoned insane asylum in nottingham, but damn if ive ever seen it.
    On the way to the coast last year we got off the beaten path and drove down a road now more grass than road and found a whole little village, with a common center green and stuff that had been abandoned for only like 30 years and it was all just empty, mary celeste style.
    Turned out the place had been built on a toxic dump or some such thing and was promptly..i dunno "de-towned" and labled a hazard. would have loved to have filmed something there but it got demolished in december.

England
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    yep yep, especially in the u.s theres tons of abanoned places that are used for film sets, especially hospitals. In the uk its there too but a bit more hidden, like theres an abandoned insane asylum in nottingham, but damn if ive ever seen it.
    On the way to the coast last year we got off the beaten path and drove down a road now more grass than road and found a whole little village, with a common center green and stuff that had been abandoned for only like 30 years and it was all just empty, mary celeste style.
    Turned out the place had been built on a toxic dump or some such thing and was promptly..i dunno "de-towned" and labled a hazard. would have loved to have filmed something there but it got demolished in december.

Theres one in the middle of salisbury plain as well, the military moved all the residents out in WW2 to use it for training, it was supposed to be given back after the war but they decided to keep it, so the former residents are only allowed back on certain days of the year to visit the church there! There are a lot of abandoned military bases from WW2 around me as well, mainly airfields & the odd POW camp, fascinating to walk round them, im always hoping to find something interesting if I go there, or some old wartime graffiti or something

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    the village i live in was a quarry then the army depo, so its not unusual to be walking through the woods to find a pair of street lamps in the undergrowth, or a train track leading from nowhere, eeiry stuff but cool. shame those lights dont function any more, a photographer with some wiring knowledge and a battery could get a hell of an unusual photo from something like that.