Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: The Thing Prequel

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by rongravy View Post
    Neato. That stuff would be cool to have in your house... life size and dripping with goo.
    Would certainly be useful at Halloween!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

England
    Quote Originally Posted by AfterMovieDiner View Post
    If they honestly go with these and a less CGI approach it will be better certainly but ultimately still redundant because of A. the reasons I explained before and B. while paying homage to John Carpenter is indeed respectful, there is a thin line between homage and flat out just copying everything. What with the sets, props, costumes, colour palette and monster effects looking so similar, it does sort of render the whole thing pointless. If you can't bring your own thing to it then step away from the camera!!
    I guess what they're hoping for is that very few people under, say , 20-24 will have seen the original now unless they're horror buffs or have caught one of those late night showings on TV, so the concept will be new to them & they'll flock to see it, then of course DVD sales of the original will rocket as they all want to see what happens next, its all about the dirty cash! I'll only complain if they make a bad job of it!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Would certainly be useful at Halloween!
    Or just in an everyday setting, lol.

Undisclosed
    Here are some fan made posters for the '82 movie.

http://www.shortlist.com/entertainme...-for-the-thing

Super Moderator

UK
    Erm, most of those pics are of models - I can't see those being in the movie - and other ones doesn't necessarily mean practical stuff - quite often they will sculpt something, then scan it into a computer, and then animate that. Indeed that apparent screenshot doesn't look especially practical to me - or perhaps it's "CG enhanced" ... like the recent Wolfman movie ... ... but the problem with that was there was so much CGI retouching it ALL looked like CGI regardless, which was just stupid and annoying.

I really do hope they use practical effects - because they feel more real and The Thing is still a great gross-out movie when the gloopy stuff gets flowing - and it still stands up to this day!

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7u5tqmbadc

So there goes your slow, creeping terror that builds until the thing finally emerges. Now we get "cat jumps from the darkness".

Ireland
    Ummmm........

I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7u5tqmbadc

So there goes your slow, creeping terror that builds until the thing finally emerges. Now we get "cat jumps from the darkness".
    Ugh. First we get that video of an insanely quick 'zombie' in WWZ (which just creates even more of a sinking feeling with seemingly every bit of news), and now this stupid arse clip ... I was sceptical, but I was giving it a fair chance, but this clip is moronic. Whose dumbass idea was it for someone to shout "BOO!" at Mr Eko anyway? Screw the sudden burst out of the ice block thing - isn't it supposed to be that it was cut out of the ice block and then thawed out at the Norwegian Camp?

United States
    This movie will be able to be summed up with three words:

EPIC. F*CKING. FAIL.

This is just absurd.

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Yep. Yep. But! At least somebody actually watched 'The Thing from another World'. Right?

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Ugh. First we get that video of an insanely quick 'zombie' in WWZ (which just creates even more of a sinking feeling with seemingly every bit of news), and now this stupid arse clip ... I was sceptical, but I was giving it a fair chance, but this clip is moronic. Whose dumbass idea was it for someone to shout "BOO!" at Mr Eko anyway? Screw the sudden burst out of the ice block thing - isn't it supposed to be that it was cut out of the ice block and then thawed out at the Norwegian Camp?
    Looks like cheap tactics!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Looks like cheap tactics!
    Indeed!

Also I was looking at Sky Anytime last night and in the movies section they have The Thing (1982) up on there (to cash-in on this movie coming out next month) ... but the rating on it listed the movie as a being rated 12!

Undisclosed
    That really blows. They ruined the scene. The script, I read was much better.

This is a decription of what I read.

They were hanging out in the lounge eating and socializing. Then they hear a loud noise from the room it was stored. It was screeching and things being tore up. They went into the room to find the ice block without the alien inside and a huge hole torn in the wall leading outside. So, they get the dogs to track it down in the snow and dogs run towards the generator room. They find it, but it was weak from being frozen for so long. But it managed to kill some of the dogs and the dog trainer, before they burned it.
    They should have used that scene, instead of what we viewed. It looks CGI and as you guys mentioned cheap scare tactics. It has been frozen in the ice for over 10,000 years, so it should not be at full strength, plus its body endured a battle inside the ship and its crash.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Indeed!

Also I was looking at Sky Anytime last night and in the movies section they have The Thing (1982) up on there (to cash-in on this movie coming out next month) ... but the rating on it listed the movie as a being rated 12!
    rated 12?! did any of the people that assigned that rating actually watch the film??
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

United States
    ugh. not liking that scene one bit. i can't stand how many of those jump scares and the whole "i'm so startled" (thanks, randy marsh) trend in movies has become so prevalent.

from the trailer, i got the impression that this film will rely on a lot of those moments, and i'm kinda bummed about that.

what slick described sounds so much better and keeps the same sort of tone/vibe of the carpenter film. fucking shame that the clowns who make these sort of decisions can't get that through their skulls.