Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718 LastLast

Thread: The Thing Prequel

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    it seems to be entirely pointless (we already know what happened to the Norwegian camp - which, for me, has always been the big problem with the idea of a prequel of the exact-same-bloody-name-as-the-original).
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Is that entirely true? We don't know if some people survive or not!?
    We do know the two norwegian guys in the helicopter survived, as well as the infected dog, but that didn't last long for any of them.

Regardless, MZ is right - the story of the norwegian camp was already told. Not to mention, it seems as if they're twisting the camp's story a bit as compared to how Carpenter laid it out. That, I think, is what bothers me the most about these remakes, prequels, sequels, etc. At least stick to the original goddamned story! *shoots an evil eye in the direction of Rob Zombie*

Every time I see the trailer for this flick, it looks like nothing but a re-hash of Carpenters' minus a penis on the lead character.

UK
    Review up at IGN:

I don't hate this version of The Thing, but there is one thing that I do hate about it: By putting a new spin on what the alien can and can't replicate, by making it canon if you will, it calls into question actions depicted in the first film. A remake/prequel/whatever shouldn't make you go look for the flaws in the original.
    http://uk.movies.ign.com/articles/119/1197745p1.html

Let battle commence...

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    The cast of Carpenter's film watch the prequel....

Super Moderator

Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post

Definitely stealing that.

Great Britain
    Quote Originally Posted by Rancid Carcass View Post
    Review up at IGN:

http://uk.movies.ign.com/articles/119/1197745p1.html

Let battle commence...
    that was class

United States

THAT was hilarious!

Interesting. The IGN review has reiterated something we have been saying all along:

"...it's the script by Eric Heisserer (who also penned the remake of A Nightmare on Elm Street) that commits the sin of too closely paralleling its predecessor, to the point of almost being a beat-for-beat replay of the paranoid events of the '82 film. "

"Prequel" my ass.

That, and it all makes sense now why it's not going to be good: the script was written by the same bozo who destroyed the remake of ANOES.

Undisclosed
    I am leaving in a little while to watch it.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by slickwilly13 View Post
    I am leaving in a little while to watch it.
    God go with you...and let us know what you think. This is still on a list of possible outings for me this weekend.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Undisclosed
    It was not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. The movie was actually enjoyable. I still think the '82 movie is better, but that is just my opinion. '82 movie was more suspenseful. This one was more action.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    went this afternoon as well out of boredom more than anything. i agree with slick. the movie is more actiony than horror but is a decent flick. i point blank refuse to make comparisons with the 82 version. divorce that one from your mind and you might end up liking the movie.

that is all i have to say until more of you have seen it. even then, i might not have more to say. i thought it was decent, if you don't fine with me.
    Last edited by Mike70; 15-Oct-2011 at 12:33 AM. Reason: s
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Ireland

"You don't understand...that thing wanted to be US!"

Never a truer word spoken.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    Oh geez - that guy wrote it? Ugh...

The ANOES remake was an actual abomination. I watched it on Sky Movies t'other week, and it was just bad, bad, bad, bad, bad ... it was as if they'd spent five minutes thinking about the script and then ran the original movie through the mind of an idiotic 12 year old dressed from head-to-toe in Hot Topic.

*shudders*

Actually, here's my thoughts of the movie from June:
    http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2011/06...june-2011.html
    A Nightmare On Elm Street 2010:
    Wes Craven's franchise-starting 1984 original had an inventive idea driving the properly crafted narrative, and it introduced us to a pitch-perfect new face of terror (well, until he turned into a cartoon character marketted - bizarrely, even perversely - to children as a cuddly rogue at the height of his popularity). Samual Beyer directs his film debut like a music video (he's best known for the video to Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit" and Green Day's "American Idiot" videos). Like a music video it's impatient to get going (the movie begins at minute zero with us already in a nightmare), and due to the rush you care little (if at all) for the protagonists.

On the one hand it wants to rip-off the famous moments from Craven's decidedly far superior original, and on the other it wants to branch out ... but whenever it does, it hints at an idea that could have (in the hands of a talented screenwriter who cared about motivation, characterisation, tension building, and pacing) created a really interesting new take on a well-worn genre legend. Then it goes and blows it, time and again, and just cobbles together a bunch of vaguely connected dream sequences (none of which are scary, let alone chilling, nor mildly cool). Half of the cast feel totally disconnected (more like celebrity wannabes, than anyone interested in acting), and the other half that have any talent are totally wasted (I'll be interested to see Roony Mara take on The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo under the superior direction of David Fincher, and Kyle Gallner in Kevin Smith's much-talked-about chiller Red State).

Only one sequence - a flash back to how-and-why Freddy got fried - holds any intrigue (indeed, a talented screenwriter could have crafted a deeply dark origin story), but that doesn't save the movie from being a heartless, witless, and completely-and-utterly pale immitation of Craven's iconic original. Presentationally it feels like an imitation of the Friday 13th remake, which in-turn was an imitation of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake, and The Amityville Horror remake (all produced by Platinum Dunes ... or 'The Remake Assembly Line' as it should be known). These Platinum Dunes movies have dropped in quality consistently with each new product that's foisted upon the horror community (notorious gluttons for punishment, whose curiosity inevitably kills the cat) from good-but-still-inferior-to-the-original, to downright woeful.

Jackie Earle Hayley is also wasted here - under a supposedly 'more realistic' (yet entirely unconvincing, nor frightening) mask - with a dud script and a director who blows his load almost immediately revealing too much of Freddy early on (several times). This could have been a golden opportunity to make a dark origin story that avoided the content of the original almost entirely, but instead this is just another cash-hungry, churned-out, load of old bullshit. Avoid it like the plague, and let's hope they don't make a sequel to it!

Undisclosed
    It is not shitty like the Elm Street remake. A lot better in my opinion.

United States
    i plan to see this in theaters next weekend. still slightly optimistic about it.

Super Moderator

Germany
    Saw it with the family today, and this my take:

Was it necessary to make? No.

Did it add anything to Carpenter's original? No.

Was the CGI excessive? Yes, but they used a lot of in camera effects too.

Was it a total piece of crap? Not in my opinion. I rather enjoyed it even though many scenes in it were rehashes from scenes in the original (and I know this alone will cause an uproar with a segment of fans).

It does end where the first begins
    which is more than I expected out of this movie.

The Thing 2011 is a fun flick that just can't build up the paranoid-claustrophobic atmosphere that Carpenter's did. There is too little character development for you to care about this group of people in the same way as old Outpost 31.

The main scientist bad guy is a 2011 take on the Dr. Carrington character from Howard Hawk's "The Thing from Another World" which I thought was a nice touch.

It is way better than its Rotten Tomatoes rating.