Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718 LastLast

Thread: The Thing Prequel

Undisclosed
    For those you have seen it, what do you think of the creatures in general?

United States
    Saw it. Weak compared to the original, didn't carry the vibe.
    Wasn't horrible, had decent gore when they got down to it.
    I give it an ehhhhhh......

Canada
    I'm a huge fan of the Carpenter version and I enjoyed this prequel. Just hope that Universal doesn't rename Carpenters film "The Thing 2"!

United States
    i was going to take my ladyfriend to see this over the weekend, but found out she's not seen the carpenter version. so we decided that we would watch the "original" if you will, likely on halloween night, then see the prequel at a later date.

United States
    Having been out for work and without technology for so long I went to see the Thing just assuming it was a remake of the orig and yeah when it finally hit me that it was a prequel I was entirely delighted and was probably the giddiest girl (perhaps the only one) in the theater... I love prequels... I loved this movie... probably not something I'm going to run out and buy when it hits DVD but you know... I miss old movies because they didn't promote Chips N Soda (anyone remember in Land of the Dead when it was obvious where money for the film came from?) and they didn't have these soundtracks that leave me feeling like the movie is just an advertisement for food and music. This movie is a classic... mostly unknown people in it, not a lot of vulgarity, good SFX, and it did something that John Carpenter is great at... it had 'atmosphere' ...just sayN...
    You smell that? That's the smell of spring, and I love it. You know what I love to do in spring? I love to come out into the woods, to walk amongst the budding trees, to smell and taste the hint of renewal that hovers in the air like a heady perfume, and to listen to the song of the birds who have returned from their long sojourn south. And bury the people I killed during the winter...

http://media.movies.ign.com/media/84...d_1882969.html

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MissJacksonCA View Post
    Having been out for work and without technology for so long I went to see the Thing just assuming it was a remake of the orig and yeah when it finally hit me that it was a prequel I was entirely delighted and was probably the giddiest girl (perhaps the only one) in the theater... I love prequels... I loved this movie... probably not something I'm going to run out and buy when it hits DVD but you know... I miss old movies because they didn't promote Chips N Soda (anyone remember in Land of the Dead when it was obvious where money for the film came from?) and they didn't have these soundtracks that leave me feeling like the movie is just an advertisement for food and music. This movie is a classic... mostly unknown people in it, not a lot of vulgarity, good SFX, and it did something that John Carpenter is great at... it had 'atmosphere' ...just sayN...
    Heard mixed things, but it does appear some folks are enjoying it
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    I just love the throwback films that take you back to when movies didn't have to be remade because there weren't any new ideas and when there was a better story and less obscenity and nudity because you didn't need it... you had a great idea and the execution may not have been flawless but it was quality. These days with what it costs to make movies I wonder why they even bother when half of my favs were made low budget with unknown people... I feel so ripped when I go see something like the new Nightmare on Elm Street ... how much did it cost to make that kind of crap? And it was nothing compared to its orig. which was made for arguably less.
    You smell that? That's the smell of spring, and I love it. You know what I love to do in spring? I love to come out into the woods, to walk amongst the budding trees, to smell and taste the hint of renewal that hovers in the air like a heady perfume, and to listen to the song of the birds who have returned from their long sojourn south. And bury the people I killed during the winter...

http://media.movies.ign.com/media/84...d_1882969.html

Ireland
    I quite liked this.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Undisclosed

United States
    saw this over the weekend and wasn't terribly impressed. a few cool nods to the carpenter flick, but most times, it felt way too much like it was trying to copy the entire film and put the slightest spin on it to make it seem worthwhile. the effects were neat, but other than that, this is a very passable film if you ask me.

Banned
    Banned User

Aaland
    I drove thru Carpenters hometown a hundred times you would have a BIG imagination too if you lived there.
    Town name was also used in THE STAND.
    Origin of Ray Flowers radio program.
    Carthage.

RF RF hmmm there's a thread there
    (Randall Flagg)

Undisclosed
    It is out on Blu Ray tomorrow.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I've just given this a watch and like most opinions already stated....it wasn't so bad. It obviously isn't as great as Carpenter's film(I never expected it to be), but it's really pretty good when you put it up against the plethora of recent horror remakes/sequels/etc. I'm glad I didn't pay to view it, but I don't really feel like I wasted my time.

I was just reading a rumor that initially more of the visual effects were practical, but the studio went in and replaced a lot of them with CGI because test screenings proved that the practical effects were too "out of date" for today's audiences. Anyone else heard anything about this? It certainly sounds like something a studio would do to make it more in tune with recent CGI horror films...

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I've just given this a watch and like most opinions already stated....it wasn't so bad. It obviously isn't as great as Carpenter's film(I never expected it to be), but it's really pretty good when you put it up against the plethora of recent horror remakes/sequels/etc. I'm glad I didn't pay to view it, but I don't really feel like I wasted my time.

I was just reading a rumor that initially more of the visual effects were practical, but the studio went in and replaced a lot of them with CGI because test screenings proved that the practical effects were too "out of date" for today's audiences. Anyone else heard anything about this? It certainly sounds like something a studio would do to make it more in tune with recent CGI horror films...
    The movie's a load of cobblers, I thought it was rubbish...

My review (spoiler free):
    http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2012/01...n-jr-2011.html

My bitch-list (spoilers galore):
    http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2012/01...nty-point.html

As for the FX, they made such a big deal about "ooh, we've got practical effects, don't worry fans!" but then everything is covered in CGI - it's exactly the same bullshit that happened on 2010's The Wolfman, where they take a practical effect (half of which is green cloth) and paste layer-after-layer-after-layer of CGI over it, so it just looks like it was made entirely in a computer in the first place ... so what's the goddamned point?

Fuck this movie - it's not Yawn04 bad, but it's still crap.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    The movie's a load of cobblers, I thought it was rubbish...

Fuck this movie - it's not Yawn04 bad, but it's still crap.

Y'know MZ, I was totally with you 'till I read the first of your 20 point bitch-fest:

"...there's no mystery for the fans of the franchise. Indeed, knowing the outcome, but not the specific details of how the horror unfolded....is exactly why it's such a haunting part of John Carpenter's 1982 film."

The Halloween remake (Fuck you, Rob Zombie!) did exactly what you stated above, and you liked it.

Last edited by LouCipherr; 31-Jan-2012 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Fuck rob zombie