Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718

Thread: The Thing Prequel

Super Moderator

UK
    Lou - nah, they're two different situations. Halloween was more a case of the motivation of the central antagonist being explored much more up-front ... it's not as good as the mystery of the original, but it wasn't trash either. RZ's Halloween wasn't flawless by any means, there are numerous problems with it (and H2), but there are also numerous things I dig about both flicks.

The Thing (2011) is just dunderheaded and completely ignores the entire modus operandi of the eponymous beastie ... it exchanges stealth (directly important to the very survival and 'DNA' of the creature itself at the most base, core level) with exposing itself to anyone and everyone at the drop of a hat - and making a hell of a lot of noise in the process.

Only the end credits tie-in with the beginning of JC's flick provides actual interest, and of course - the lovely, lovely, lovely - Mary Elizabeth Winstead.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Lou - nah, they're two different situations. Halloween was more a case of the motivation of the central antagonist being explored much more up-front ..
    ...and thereby removing the mystery of the entire film, which is exactly what made the original so good. I'd say they are both the same in this respect. Even if it's more up-front, same concept.

In the new Thing, why are we removing the mystery of what happened at the Norwegian camp? That's part of what made the original so tense - which makes this film a moot point. We know something happened to this camp in the original, but we aren't sure what - which makes it all the more creepy. Why ruin that? They did the exact same thing with exploring Michael and his "motivations" - which, I might add, RZ got completely wrong in the remake. I won't go into it, but I think we know what they are.

Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie
    it exchanges stealth ... with exposing itself to anyone and everyone at the drop of a hat - and making a hell of a lot of noise in the process.
    Wow, just like RZ did with Michael Meyers, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie
    it's not as good as the mystery of the original, but it wasn't trash either
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 31-Jan-2012 at 04:59 PM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

UK
    It's like talking to a brick wall that smells of bacon soap...

Last edited by MinionZombie; 31-Jan-2012 at 04:58 PM.

United States
    It's like talking to a brick wall that smells of bacon soap...

I guess if being consistent in my opinions is being a brick wall, then so be it. Does that make you a floppy piece of bacon?

mmmmmm... bacon.

Last edited by LouCipherr; 31-Jan-2012 at 05:06 PM. Reason: ...

Super Moderator

UK
    No - I just see a difference between the situations of The Thing and Halloween. In The Thing we've seen the outcome at the Norwegian camp very clearly, and we've seen how events unfold over the course of JC's flick ... strangely though the Norwegian camp seems to now be half-populated by Americans, Brits, and even a French chick IIRC.

With Halloween it's a different situation. Myers goes on a killing spree in both, his main target is the same (his kid sister), the only real difference is his homelife. Instead of a very average American middle class white collar family, his family is white trash (hey, it's a Rob Zombie movie after all ), but it's not exactly like he's especially abused or anything, he's just got a bit of a rough homelife where everyone shouts ... it's not a huge thing ... he could have just as easily not become a serial killer. The switch that flipped still remains mostly unsolved.

The Thing (2011) just goes over old ground not adding anything to proceedings, repeats scenes, and generally hides inside an imitation of the JC flick, before going off on it's own rubbish, under-developed tangents. My point is The Thing 2011 is perfunctory because we know the outcome of the camp, and we're just ticking off details from the JC film (e.g. the axe in the door, the ice block etc), and the events that occur in the 2011 film at the Norwegian Camp are essentially no different from JC's film (discovery, first attack, autopsy, distrust, deaths, and a piss-poor spaceship-set finale that's essentially just copying (badly) the 'blow the bastard up' ending of JC's flick).

Undisclosed
    It is on youtube for those interested.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by slickwilly13 View Post
    It is on youtube for those interested.
    It will be....for another.....5....4....3....2....
    Last edited by bassman; 02-Feb-2012 at 01:12 AM. Reason: .

United States
    No - I just see a difference between the situations of The Thing and Halloween.
    Yes, I do too: one sucks, the other sucks harder. No, wait, I got it: one story did not needed to be retold, and the other story was one that was already told in the original flick.

Just razzin' ya, MZ...

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    Just razzin' ya, MZ...
    I blame the bacon addiction...

United States
    I blame the bacon addiction...
    I hate to say it, but I think you're correct.

Undisclosed
    I thought of an idea last night. Instead of a blood test or checking for fake teeth & fillings. What about tattoos?

Super Moderator

UK
    I thought of an idea last night. Instead of a blood test or checking for fake teeth & fillings. What about tattoos?
    Although like fillings, the thing would be "I never had tattoos, but I'm not a thing!" - whereas the blood one makes sense - everyone has blood!

That should totally be a slogan for something...

Undisclosed
    Yes, but if a person had very visable tattoos, then people would notice. I know people with tattoos visabe on their arms. Then one day on camp their tattoos are no longer present. It would be a dead give away.

Super Moderator

UK
    Yes, but if a person had very visable tattoos, then people would notice. I know people with tattoos visabe on their arms. Then one day on camp their tattoos are no longer present. It would be a dead give away.
    Ah indeed, a fair point - a good back-up/additional tell.