Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: The Thing Prequel

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    Meh, I was pretty happy when I first heard about this, I thought RDM could do a good job...he stated that it would be a "companion piece" to the original, which i cool, but casting a woman is pure BS.

The original thing was a guy movie, no distracting women/love interests etc

I don't mind the idea of a prequel, I want to see that gene stealing alien raping another research station, but I don't want to see any chicks in it.

It's a shame that gore makes something a guy movie. If one could get passed that there's really a wealth of pscchological drama going around at that camp which imo, has gone unsurpassed in film till this day.

Atleast they're no remaking it tho.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    It's a shame that gore makes something a guy movie. If one could get passed that there's really a wealth of pscchological drama going around at that camp which imo, has gone unsurpassed in film till this day.

Atleast they're no remaking it tho.

I totally agree but...

I think what he means is The Thing is a movie with an all-male cast and the social/power interactions are all male-male. Guys act slightly differently when there are no women around, especially in stressful situations, but it's not often you get a movie that really explores that because of the pressure by studios to include a female character for sexual tension/love interest, and to pander to the teen market.

Putting a woman into the situation contaminates the mix of relationships that the original movie had. It might not be bad, but it certainly won't feel the same.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by capncnut View Post
    Not interested, thank you.
    i'll second that. i've always preferred the 50's version to carpenter's by a long, long margin. carpenter's version is way, way too far over the top and leaves almost nothing to the imagination.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    Well, dealing with what we hear isn't going to get us anywhere. Facts would be more helpful. Is there a link to that assertion?

If that is indeed the case and it's going to be a sy fy movie then that pretty much tells us all we need to know right there.

I just read it on some "upcoming horror movie" site. I think it is too early to tell anyway.

England
    Krakenslayer nails it.

If you watch the directors commentary on the DVD, you will find out that there was only one woman crew member when filming it as well, she left really early early because she was having a baby, so it was actually a "guy movie" made by guys. They said that the dynamic was different even when filming, no posturing, showing off etc.

Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    First photo

Not much, but the setting seems very familiar.

Ireland
    Oh no...is this thing going ahead?
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    At least it's not a remake. Here's to hoping it's not like the TCM prequel...

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I hope they do with practical effects rather than CGI. Carpenter's version still holds up. The effects are awesome.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    I hope they do with practical effects rather than CGI.
    hate to be so negative, but i highly doubt this will be the case.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    i'll second that. i've always preferred the 50's version to carpenter's by a long, long margin. carpenter's version is way, way too far over the top and leaves almost nothing to the imagination.
    The original version was greatly altered from the John Campbell story "Who Goes There? " where Carpenter returned to the source. While I enjoyed both movies, the 1951 film had one thing which the 82 adaption didn't, a seriously grown up script.
    It also had a woman in it, yes, one of the coolest pre-ripley sci fi heroines in Nikki (Margaret Sheridan. ) who had a credible adult relationship with Captain Hendry(Kenneth Tobey ). The sexual banter between them was as much fun as the monster hunt.
    "At time you were making like an octopus, I never saw so many hands. "
    Even as a kid, I got it.

Wayne Z
    Ned "Scotty" Scott: Here's the sixty-four dollar question - what do you do with a vegetable?
    Nikki: Boil it.
    Ned "Scotty" Scott: What did you say?
    Nikki: Boil it... bake it... stew it... fry it?

England
    I keep meaning to pick the original B&W movie up, I saw it once when I was about 9 years old, so I don't remember much about it.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    I hope they do with practical effects rather than CGI. Carpenter's version still holds up. The effects are awesome.
    Won't happen, dude; expect CG. This is the era of shitty CG.

Super Moderator

UK
    There'll be CGI everywhere, and if not everywhere, the practical with have "enhancements" done on computer - which just means that it'll end up all looking like CGI anyway (e.g. the new Wolfman movie).

Even if the odd bit of Bottin's practical effects in JC's The Thing might look a bit rough these days, it's far more convincing because of imperfections - and the very fact that our eyes and brains know instinctively that that effect was actually taking place there on the set right in front of the camera and the actors.

The effects in The Thing are horrendous - in a good way - they gross you out, still to this day, and they feel painful and violent and they just keep going further and further out there. I tell you man, when I first saw the dog's head split open and it jiggled the skull out to reveal that big tongue thing I damn near flipped out ... this was back when I was about 10, if I remember correctly.

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by wayzim View Post
    The original version was greatly altered from the John Campbell story "Who Goes There? " where Carpenter returned to the source. While I enjoyed both movies, the 1951 film had one thing which the 82 adaption didn't, a seriously grown up script.
    It also had a woman in it, yes, one of the coolest pre-ripley sci fi heroines in Nikki (Margaret Sheridan. ) who had a credible adult relationship with Captain Hendry(Kenneth Tobey ). The sexual banter between them was as much fun as the monster hunt.
    "At time you were making like an octopus, I never saw so many hands. "
    Even as a kid, I got it.

Wayne Z
    Ned "Scotty" Scott: Here's the sixty-four dollar question - what do you do with a vegetable?
    Nikki: Boil it.
    Ned "Scotty" Scott: What did you say?
    Nikki: Boil it... bake it... stew it... fry it?

I have to say that I think it's utterly incredible that ANYONE would prefer the 50's version to Carpenter's.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....