Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: The Thing Prequel

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    There'll be CGI everywhere, and if not everywhere, the practical with have "enhancements" done on computer - which just means that it'll end up all looking like CGI anyway (e.g. the new Wolfman movie).
    This is EXACTLY what I'm afraid of.

But, like someone said before, at least this is a prequel and not a "remake" of Carpenter's classic.

As MZ said, I still think The Thing holds up even to today. You wouldn't know when that movie was made save for the computer MacCready is using to play chess and their hairstyles. Other than that, you could say that flick was made in the past 5 years and most would have no problem believing that.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I think a lot of that is also because the re-mastering job for the film was done properly. I have seen films with very poor mastering that make them look even more dated than they really should be... I guess it is down to how much the studio sets aside for re-mastering.

Most likely why the Ghostbusters Blu-Ray looks like shit... at least in my opinion it does. All the money that franchise has made and columbia couldn't spend a few extra bucks by cleaning up and re-storing the master?
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    Most likely why the Ghostbusters Blu-Ray looks like shit... at least in my opinion it does. All the money that franchise has made and columbia couldn't spend a few extra bucks by cleaning up and re-storing the master?
    I personally think that BR looks pretty good. I admit that it is grainy but from what i've heard it has more to do with the film they used. Something about it being an obsolete film stock that produces grainy images? You would know more about it than I would, but this is just what i've heard from some of the folks on the GB boards.

I do still think the 1999 CE DVD of Ghostbusters looks great, though. I was blown away when I first saw it. The green "slime" dvds aren't that great of a transfer in comparison. They even cropped out some of the image.

The Thing holding up by today's standards? I would have to disagree there. As mentioned..the hairstyles, computer, and a few things are dated, but the effects are pretty dated as well. That's not a bad thing. The effects help make the film great imo, but some of them just can't pass by today's audiences.

I still have some hope for this prequel. It could turn out to be a fun little ride and companion piece to Carpenter's. Do I expect it to be as good? No....but i'm hoping it will at least be worthy.

Ireland
    Hairstyles in 'The Thing'?

They're not that dated. Look fine to me.

The only thing that dates it is the Chess game IMO.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Hairstyles in 'The Thing'?

They're not that dated. Look fine to me.
    There's always business to be done out front and partying to be had in the back! (<---Does that sound gay?)

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Ireland
    Yep, sounds gay. I haven't a clue what you're on about though.

Anyway, Mac is in the Antarctic. No barbers around. He has a beard too.

My hair would look like that, that's for sure.

Super Moderator

United States
    It was in reference to mullets.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    "Business in the front, party in the back" is a phrase associated with Mullets. Which Russell has what could be considered a mullet.

Not only that, but doesn't the black guy on roller skates have a fro? Been a while since I've seen it...

Ireland
    Mac doesn't have a mullet though.

This clown, on the other hand...

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Both would be considered mullets. Anything that's longer in the back and shorter in the front...

You're just used to Russel's mullet because he wore it constantly for about 10 years.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post

Not only that, but doesn't the black guy on roller skates have a fro? Been a while since I've seen it...
    I think fros are timeless, Bassman, though the acceptability of size does vary by period somewhat. If I could, I would have an afro and it would save my life eventually, as some zombie would try and bite me in the back of the head, but only get a mouthful of afro. The next time around, I wouldn't be so lucky however, as the next zombie would grab my afro and bite me in the neck.

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Both would be considered mullets. Anything that's longer in the back and shorter in the front...

You're just used to Russel's mullet because he wore it constantly for about 10 years.
    nah man. Mac's hair is just long. Hasn't been cut. Looks more 70's to me, than 80's. mulletness.

Also Aces is right. Fro's are pretty timeless. Besides, Thomas Carter didn't have much of a choice.

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    All the guys in The Thing were supposed to look scruffy - they'd been living in the Antarctic for many months on end. Not only that, but beards and lots of hair are common attire among those who work in extremely cold environments, for obvious reasons. AND MacReady was supposed to be an undisciplined, renegade type, not a fashionable stud. He'd look just like that today.

As for the effects: I saw this movie in The cinema a few weeks back (and many times on video before that) and saw nothing in the alien scenes that didn't look convincingly like mutating organic tissue. If it had been filmed in a documentary style and someone told me it was real, I'd have a hard time questioning it. On the other hand I'd have been able to spot the telltale smooth motion and hyper-realism of CGI a mile away. Could you guys elaborate on what exactly makes the effects seem dated to you?

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I don't know if I would say fros are timeless. You sure as hell don't see them too much anymore....

Just the general "fluffiness" of everyone's hair points to what decade the film was made. Even Keith David's.

I say that because his head is shaved.....and nobody else could?...

United States
    Well, MacCready's haircut (parted in the middle, feathered & layered) is definitely out of style today. It was par for the course in the 80's, but not today or in the past few years.

Depending on your definition, MacCready's 'do is almost a mullet.

Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer
    As for the effects: I saw this movie in The cinema a few weeks back (and many times on video before that) and saw nothing in the alien scenes that didn't look convincingly like mutating organic tissue. If it had been filmed in a documentary style and someone told me it was real, I'd have a hard time questioning it.
    That's what I thought too, but to each his own.

***Edited to add: you suckers beat me to the mullet comment!
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 13-Apr-2010 at 04:40 PM.