Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: The Thing Prequel

Ireland
    I saw this on a cinema screen too a couple of years back and was ready to spot all the flaws. However, it was difficult to do so.

Only two scenes come to mind.

Mac's fake hand in the blood scene and the spider head yoke running across the floor.

But even so, they were still ok.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    Well, MacCready's haircut (parted in the middle, feathered & layered) is definitely out of style today. It was par for the course in the 80's, but not today or in the past few years
    Oh, god...feathering. You went there and I had almost forgotten I used to do such a thing to my hair.

That said, I agree with Bassman that this project could be a nice bookend to the original, if done correctly...hopefully.

Dear Journal: Barnburner of a hair debate on HPotD today.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Oh, god...feathering. You went there and I had almost forgotten I used to do such a thing to my hair.

Me too.

United States
    the only scene from carpenter's flick that looks dated to me is when they're trying to revive the guy who apparently has a heart attack. when his abdominal cavity turns into a giant mouth-thing with razor teeth and it closes down on that one fellow's arms. i think it's mainly his arms being ripped off and how rubbery they looked.

aside from that and the computer, the film has aged remarkably well. i am slightly optimistic about this prequel, as long as they don't go overboard with the cgi.

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    the only scene from carpenter's flick that looks dated to me is when they're trying to revive the guy who apparently has a heart attack. when his abdominal cavity turns into a giant mouth-thing with razor teeth and it closes down on that one fellow's arms. i think it's mainly his arms being ripped off and how rubbery they looked.

aside from that and the computer, the film has aged remarkably well. i am slightly optimistic about this prequel, as long as they don't go overboard with the cgi.
    They used a real amputee and put a mask resembling the doctor character on his face for that scene. Or did you mean the actual ripping effect itself? In that case I kind of see where you're coming from, but I've never seen flesh torn off like that in real life so can't really question it. It's basically the same flesh-ripping effect they use in all horror movies, though, even to this day.

---------- Post added at 06:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:00 PM ----------

One thing I think is inaccurate though, and it's nothing to do with the time period, is the ratio of scientific to support staff. Pretty much everyone in the base is some kind of technician or radio man or cook or helicopter pilot or dog handler or generally something OTHER than a scientist. There were twelve men living at the research base and maybe two or three of them looked like they were there to do any actual research. Real Antarctic research teams are usually comprised of ten to fifteen researchers, most of whom double up as drivers, doctors, mechanics, etc. when the need arises.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Teaser poster....

So they're calling it....The Thing? This makes it look basically like a remake and they're trying to dodge a bullet with the prequel storyline...

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    That seems to be the way hollywood is trending.

It has now come to the point where not only can't they make an original film but now they can't even think of a title!?!

They did it with Friday the 13th and the final destination as well.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    They did it with Friday the 13th and the final destination as well.
    5inal Destination.

I just threw up in my mouth a little...

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    So they're calling it....The Thing? This makes it look basically like a remake and they're trying to dodge a bullet with the prequel storyline...
    I can't even see a "The" in there. So they're so lazy they're just calling it "Thing"?

Could have been worse, I suppose. Could have called it "ThingS" & featured 100's of Things who get wiped out in a "cool" raging gun battle, leaving "only" one alive for the original...

I'm really wishing cancer of the penis on anyone responsible for, or involved with, this abortion.

United States
    5inal Destination.

I just threw up in my mouth a little...

"Final Destination 23 - this time it really IS Final! We mean it this time!"
    Those aren't real problems, Sam.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    I can't even see a "The" in there. So they're so lazy they're just calling it "Thing"?
    The article I got it from says that the "The" is there, you just can't see it because of the flash.

I'm really wishing cancer of the penis on anyone responsible for, or involved with, this abortion.
    M.E.W. can give something to my penis.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyRay
    Final Destination 23 - this time it really IS Final! We mean it this time!"
    In case you missed it, the next one is officially titled 5inal Destination. I didn't make that up.
    Last edited by bassman; 18-Aug-2010 at 05:42 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    You mean the movie is about a hand?

What assholes.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Super Moderator

United States
    So they're calling it....The Thing?
    Clearly it's to be called Thing, not The Thing. You see?

Okay, kind of lame, but this pedantry has been been happening with remakes, re-imagining and the like a bit lately.

Alien --> Aliens = cool

The Thing --> Thing = Clobberin' Time

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Clearly it's to be called Thing, not The Thing. You see?
    The article I got it from says that the "The" is there, you just can't see it because of the flash.

The Thing.

United States
    The Thing.
    Can't hot link to the pic, but here is another site that has a similiar pic from a slightly different angle & Bass is right, the flare obscures it, but the "The" IS there.

http://www.collider.com/2010/08/17/p...james-cameron/

Don't know which is worse. Honestly, they both suck.