Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: The Thing Prequel

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    The Thingamajig!!!

They could always pull a 'Fast & Furious' and drop 'The' so it's simply THING.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    The Thingamajig!!!
    The Thingy?

How about "My Thing-a-ling"? Bust Chuck Berry's perverted ass outta jail to do the soundtrack.

England
    Quote Originally Posted by slickwilly13 View Post
    If anyone could change the title, then what would it be called?
    The Thing II: Electric Boogaloo
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    They could always pull a 'Fast & Furious' and drop 'The' so it's simply THING.
    The Thing: Norwegian Drift?
    2 Thing 2 Norweigian?

At one time weren't they considering calling it "From Another World"? That's not so bad. That's what they should do....just come up with a totally different name. Ridley Scott is doing it with the alien prequel, Prometheus...

Ireland
    'Two Things, One Cup'
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by slickwilly13 View Post
    If anyone could change the title, then what would it be called?
    Tingen

(Norwegien for 'The Thing' gettit?)

Undisclosed
    I think they should call it The Thing From Another World or like MZ suggested The Thing: Outpost *whatever number it is*.
    Last edited by slickwilly13; 13-Jul-2011 at 09:26 PM. Reason: typo

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    These replies have me cracking up. How about...

The Thing Which First Shapeshifts Into A Dog Then Turns Into a Spider With A Human Head Before All Hell Breaks Loose In The Original Film Which This Film Is A Prequel Of

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    These replies have me cracking up. How about...

The Thing Which First Shapeshifts Into A Dog Then Turns Into a Spider With A Human Head Before All Hell Breaks Loose In The Original Film Which This Film Is A Prequel Of
    Catchy!

Super Moderator

Germany
    The trailer is up on AICN: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/50381

I do not anticipate that it will exceed Carpenter's, but I honestly think it doesn't look too bad. Definitely looks like something I would enjoy seeing.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Yeah, that doesn't look half bad. Although the basic cut-and-paste scenes give further evidence to the "remake" camp. They try to claim it's a prequel yet make no reference of Carpenter's film in the trailer other than ripping off a few shots? I guess only fans of the original(err....remake) will know this is a prequel.

"From the producers of Dawn of the Dead". Is it just me or is that on EVERY new horror trailer these days? It's not even that good of a movie to mention in the trailer, anyway. Well....to anyone over 18, that is.
    Last edited by bassman; 14-Jul-2011 at 10:37 PM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

Germany
    I think they should have called it... Ain't Nothing But a Thang.

Undisclosed
    Already a hint of mediocre cgi. Damnit, damnit, damnit.

Super Moderator

UK
    Looks okay ... I'm cautious, but it looks okay ... I'll approach this like a suspicious squirrel to a conveniently placed chestnut.

I take it that it'll be set in the 1980s too - being that it's a prequel, if it's not set in the 1980s then that's retarded, but even the biggest idiot of filmmaking couldn't make a mistake like that surely? Anyway, this does have a distinct 'remake' vibe to it - a 'remake that's not a remake' ... ... Predators had that in a way, there was a lot of references to Predator, but it was it's own thing.

However, with this one, there's inately less point in doing it - sure there was this Norwegian camp that got taken out first, but that was a chilling half-known discovery in Carpenter's flick. It was foreshadowing. To make an entire film out of a foreshadowing plot point from a movie (that no doubt played/plays out in pretty much the same way as it did at Outpost 31) seems a bit pointless ... hence the distinct 'remake vibe' ... ... I guess it's a case of 'when is a remake, not a remake ... when it's The Thing 2011'.

The trailer looks alright, but I do hope the CGI doesn't take over - it should be used sparingly and subtly ... but I've been burned before on that front, so I'm not giving them any benefit of the doubt until I've seen it. Also, did anyone notice that the guy who played Lloyd Christmas in Dumb & Dumberer is in this? However - more importantly - Mary Elizabeth Winstead is in it. So as soon as I heard that, I knew I was gonna watch it.

Anyway, we horror fans are gluttons for punishment. We're the most curious of curious cats. So of course we're going to watch this flick - it's why we've seen so many of the god-awful/mediocre/occasionally-alright-on-it's-own-terms remakes that have been made. However, the studios see money, rather than response. In a way, we're our own worst enemies - our curiosity will get the better of us and we'll end up seeing it anyway.

Hopefully there'll be another trailer to further establish a vibe - hopefully something that sets it apart (although clearly the final act - or some portion of the movie at least - is going to take place inside the space ship, by the looks of things). I hope they haven't gone overboard on references (both direct and not-so-direct) to Carpenter's flick ... because then you're just remaking the goddamned movie half-the-time.

We'll see, I guess.

United States
    Sorry guys, but I honestly believe this has "FAIL" written all over it...and it doesn't make me very happy to say that. I'll give it a shot, since I'm a huge fan of the original (meaning, Carpenter's "The Thing"), but I don't expect it to be anywhere near that caliber.

*grumbles about how stupid hollywood is and wanders off*
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 15-Jul-2011 at 06:37 PM. Reason: .