Thread: The Vampire Lestat could be making a comeback

Administrator

England

The Vampire Lestat could be making a comeback

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Vampi...ief-29303.html

Brian Grazer and Ron Howard’s Imagine Entertainment has optioned Rice's fourth novel in the Vampire Chronicles, The Tale of the Body Thief. While this may seem a foolish move to attempt to cash-in on a franchise that never got moving to begin with, I actually think it's a smartly chosen property for Imagine. Namely, because it is an adventure that is not deeply tied into Rice's web-like overarching story structure. The Tale of the Body Thief is almost a one-off.

Here Lestat is a vampire utterly bored of his existence. Thanks to his supernatural abilities he's gone on incredible adventures, but now living in contemporary America, suffers from ennui and dabbles in suicide, but cannot die. (Le sigh!) However, a thrilling new opportunity presents itself when a psychic, who can swap bodies and thereby live forever, offers to alleviate Lestat's boredom by allowing him to actually become someone else—namely someone human--for one day. Inevitably, the body thief runs off with Lestat's super-powered vampire bod, and he must track him down in a wild, globetrotting game of cat and mouse.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Undisclosed
    Not to be a buzz kill, but the plot sounds stupid. A psychic switching bodies????

Just been bitten Christopher Jon's Avatar

United States
    Not to be a buzz kill, but the plot sounds stupid. A psychic switching bodies????
    In a world of flying vampires, anything is possible.

United States
    They missed their chance when they skipped faithfully adapting "The Vampire Lestat" as a follow up to "Interview". Now I coudn't care less.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by slickwilly13 View Post
    if its based on any of the anne rice books it probably IS stupid.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    if its based on any of the anne rice books it probably IS stupid.
    ... And yet infinitely better than anything Stephenie Meyer could do on her absolute best day.

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

Super Moderator

United States
    Finally a reason to get my lace cravat collection out of storage!

Having read one and a quarter of her novels, I fancy myself a bit of an Anne Rice expert, and I have to say Memnoch the Devil, while contrived, wasn't a bad Summer read circa 1997. Never could finish Interview, though

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany