Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The Thing Prequel

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

The Thing Prequel

Some casting news has been released for the prequel to John Carpenter's 'The Thing'.

One of the people in the Norwegian camp will be......

Mary Elizabeth Winstead?

Winstead will play a PhD candidate who travels to Antarctica to work with the Norwegian crew. When the shit hits the fan, she teams up with a mercenary (Edgerton) to "stop the rampage." Matthijs Van Heijningen is directing the film for Universal from a script by Ronald D. Moore. Winstead can be seen next in another Universal film, SCOTT PILGRIM VS. THE WORLD, this August.
    I remember discussing this prequel before, but can't seem to locate the thread. So my apologies if I missed it.

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    I'm kinda torn on this. On one hand it's cool that they're doing a prequel as opposed to a shit-on-it-and-start-again reboot, but on the other, we already know what happened to the Norwegian team. So they're going to have to do a lot of wriggling to make themselves room for a complete, original and unpredictable story. They need to have some team members chase the Thing (in dog form) to the American base, they need to excavate the same UFO from the ice (and film it), they need to remove the Thing in a large block of ice and leave it inside their base, some of them need to commit suicide by wrist-cutting, and the base needs to burn down. So the film-makers have two options - stick closely to these story points and limit their free-reign to tell a story, or take liberties with the continuity. I'm hoping they pick the former (as the lesser of two evils), but I have a feeling they will lean towards the latter.

Undisclosed
    I was going to post this news earlier, but I have been so busy today I did not bother. After reading the news about an American female lead and other character descriptions, I have a bad feeling about this.

Super Moderator

UK
    *sigh*

Winstead is fit as fook, and she was rather enjoyable in general in the likes of Death Proof ... ... but there's NO NEED for a Thing prequel (nor remake ).

It's like Tremors 4, a pointless sequel/prequel that won't bring anything new to the table, and that will just re-tread ideas we already know all about.

England
    Meh, I was pretty happy when I first heard about this, I thought RDM could do a good job...he stated that it would be a "companion piece" to the original, which i cool, but casting a woman is pure BS.

The original thing was a guy movie, no distracting women/love interests etc

I don't mind the idea of a prequel, I want to see that gene stealing alien raping another research station, but I don't want to see any chicks in it.

Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Prequels are very interesting in that they answer alot of questions that one has about the original film, which is a good thing.

They are treading on thin ice though. The original is an absolute classic and imo, things can only go down from there.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    I heard it will be a SyFy movie. So who will see it anyway? I guarantee it will have shitty C.G. (especially if it is a SyFy movie).

I actually hope it will go to SyFy because no one will see it then.
    Last edited by fulci fan; 11-Feb-2010 at 04:54 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by fulci fan View Post
    I heard it will be a SyFy movie. So who will see it anyway? I guarantee it will have shitty C.G. (especially if it is a SyFy movie).

Well, dealing with what we hear isn't going to get us anywhere. Facts would be more helpful. Is there a link to that assertion?

If that is indeed the case and it's going to be a sy fy movie then that pretty much tells us all we need to know right there.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by fulci fan View Post

Really, I'm pretty sure it's being produced by Strike Entertainment (i.e. the guys behind Dawn 2004) who have a deal with Universal to release all their movies.

capncnut
    Not interested, thank you.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I doubt it's going to be a TV or straight-to-dvd film. As mentioned before, Strike is handling the prequel, so it's going to theaters. And they also wouldn't shell out the money it takes to hire someone like Mary Winstead if it were a Syfy film...

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    Really, I'm pretty sure it's being produced by Strike Entertainment (i.e. the guys behind Dawn 2004) who have a deal with Universal to release all their movies.
    Sweet! Now all we need is snyder to direct it and I'm there ! lol

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Then the alien wouldn't go from person to person, but would be a gay muscle builder/olympic runner and would talk like a dinosaur from Jurrasic Park.

Oh and the alien would have a sex scene with MEW to show they're "in love".

EDIT: Actually.....now that I think about it, the alien DID sound like a dinosaur in Carpenter's film. Snyder was born for this!
    Last edited by bassman; 11-Feb-2010 at 05:54 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Then the alien wouldn't go from person to person, but would be a gay muscle builder and would talk like a dinosaur from Jurrasic Park.
    Damn dude. You just subconsciously described big daddy.

Last edited by darth los; 11-Feb-2010 at 06:59 PM.

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Then the alien wouldn't go from person to person, but would be a gay muscle builder/olympic runner and would talk like a dinosaur from Jurrasic Park.

Oh and the alien would have a sex scene with MEW to show they're "in love".

EDIT: Actually.....now that I think about it, the alien DID sound like a dinosaur in Carpenter's film. Snyder was born for this!
    And the monster in the original was kinda like a big body builder, too. Hmm...