Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sigs freezing browser

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Sigs freezing browser

Many members here have animated GIF's as their sigs, some with multiple. These sigs freeze my browser every time I scroll upon them. They don't completely freeze the browser, however it freezes for about 7-10 seconds each time. This ads up and becomes pretty annoying. Particularly Tricky's sig - that seems to freeze it much longer than any others.

Can someone tell me why this is happening? It doesn't happen on any other website with animated GIF's.

I'm running Safari 4.0.3 on a fairly new MacBook Pro with OS X, version 10.5.8.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I sometimes have this problem as well. I don't mean to single out Tricky and I think his sig is funny as hell, but it's probably because it's like 20 minutes long.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    actually trickys posts seem to break my browser in general, its very odd. if he posts a video my browser opens it in a new window as well as playing the embedded one that i cannot click on, if i quote him it crashes my browser more often than not and his sig freezes the thread when others like mo's are just fine. like i said its odd, but now you mention it my browser seems to have a vendetta on the guy or something.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    actually trickys posts seem to break my browser in general, its very odd. if he posts a video my browser opens it in a new window as well as playing the embedded one that i cannot click on, if i quote him it crashes my browser more often than not and his sig freezes the thread when others like mo's are just fine. like i said its odd, but now you mention it my browser seems to have a vendetta on the guy or something.
    Yeah, it's weird. I don't understand why the hell Tricky causes more problems than anyone else.

The internet does not like him.

Administrator

England
    What browsers and systems are you all using? Ive never experienced any problem with signitures making me freeze on vista and using Internet Explorer.

Also how regular do you clear history/cache on your browser?

Super Moderator

United States
    Are you saying H-A-S-T-U-R three times, in a room lit only by the dim light of your computer screen, before clicking? That may fix your problems...or make them seem small by comparison

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    What browsers and systems are you all using? Ive never experienced any problem with signitures making me freeze on vista and using Internet Explorer.

Also how regular do you clear history/cache on your browser?

I just cleared my cache and history a few days ago and the problem is still as prevalent as ever.

Administrator

England
    Tricky uses very large aninated GIFs in his sig/footer!

In the old forum each person had options to specify if they wanted to omit avatar images and/or images from sigs. This was mainly to allow people to speed up their forum access...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    Ive virtually no experience with mac's so i asked a friend of mine to have a look and it appears to be a known browser issue with safari, firefox and IE both render the image properly where safari slows down to a crawl.

My technical friends advice, use a different browser.

Alternatively you can turn signitures off in your user cp - edit options..

Netherlands
    I'm using Firefox and haven't encountered any problems as described above so far.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post

I just cleared my cache and history a few days ago and the problem is still as prevalent as ever.
    safari 4.0.3 on a macbook and an iMac, version 10.5.8.

seems trickys got a secret anti apple agenda.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    safari 4.0.3 on a macbook and an iMac, version 10.5.8.

seems trickys got a secret anti apple agenda.
    We need to round up all of the Mac users on the forums and create an angry mob (with torches)!

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    We need to round up all of the Mac users on the forums and create an angry mob (with torches)!
    iTorch, for when you want to form a mob and set fire to a windmill with a monster inside. in black and white, of course.

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    iTorches, white ceramic and chrome things that can only be lit by special iFlames software that consumes resources and slows your computer to a crawl.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    okay, this is getting worse and it is always trickys posts that fuck it up still. It now doesnt lag my browser, it out and out freezes it for up to 5 minutes. if a thread has a tricky post its now easier to force quit my entire browser and restart it.

WAT.