Thread: Dvx-100

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Dvx-100

I've really been wanting to purchase one of these. However, I'm very nervous about paying $1,200-$1,500 for a used one. Is there anywhere that still has them new for around that price? I highly doubt it, but it's worth a shot; some of you guys have great inside info sometimes.

Now, I just gotta figure out where to get the money for one...

Super Moderator

UK
    Afraid I don't know of where to get one new and cheap, but I do love my DVX100B. It may still be SD, but to be honest, I'm totally not convinced about HD for 'prosumer' level cameras and filmmaking anyway.

I just dig my DVX100B.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    I've really been wanting to purchase one of these. However, I'm very nervous about paying $1,200-$1,500 for a used one. Is there anywhere that still has them new for around that price? I highly doubt it, but it's worth a shot; some of you guys have great inside info sometimes.

Now, I just gotta figure out where to get the money for one...
    Mike,

I can sell you mine for $1500.00 and it comes with 7 batteries and UV FL filters. it has 300 Hours on it and I never used it for capturing.

I even have the original box manuals and a carrying case for it.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    Mike,

I can sell you mine for $1500.00 and it comes with 7 batteries and UV FL filters. it has 300 Hours on it and I never used it for capturing.

I even have the original box manuals and a carrying case for it.
    Once I gather the money, you've got yourself a deal, sir. You're someone I can trust so I'd feel completely comfortable with that.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Cool Let me know.

I can also throw in a bunch of Blank tapes I have left over from the Deadlands 2 shoot. Which is about 8 maybe 9 tapes brand new in wrapper.
    Last edited by DjfunkmasterG; 25-Feb-2010 at 11:13 AM.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Afraid I don't know of where to get one new and cheap, but I do love my DVX100B. It may still be SD, but to be honest, I'm totally not convinced about HD for 'prosumer' level cameras and filmmaking anyway.

I just dig my DVX100B.
    Im not sure what this statement works? you prefer less lines of resolution and less colors?... And you this consumer hd cams are better then prosumer cams??

I understand loving your baby.. I still dig my xl1s... But you gotta come to grips with the reality that sd doesn't hold a candle to hd... And here is the real stinger... Even a consumer line hd cam is...here it comes... is pulling 2 to 3 times more resolution and colors... But you don't have near the amount of technical options with a consumer cam.
    Last edited by CooperWasRight; 06-Mar-2010 at 08:03 PM.
    Check out my 3 min zombie short for the diary contest.
    Among the Dead
    http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoid=29079528

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK

I just dig my DVX100B.
    ive never been the HD guy either, im using the... sony HVR V1E and i remember the first project for uni i shot last year and going "wow, the colours look great, and id shot it in 1080i without noticing just because i was used to my little piece of crap canon mv900 and not even having a hd option.

honestly i stuck with it because it looks good and ive got a number of terabyte hds to have the space to afford to use it but honestly its not a big selling point for me, hd crap is still crap yknow?

Super Moderator

UK
    hd crap is still crap yknow?
    This is exactly what I'm saying. I simply don't see the need for HD at the prosumer level at all. A camera in HD doesn't get rid of shoddy editing, wonky camerawork, poor use of the key camera settings, a bad script, a rubbish idea, poor acting or a whole list of other problems.

And considering that DVDs are still far out-selling BR's, it's not this "big whoop" some out there in the technology industry make it out to be. It's like with games - graphics only take you so far.

Undisclosed
    This is exactly what I'm saying. I simply don't see the need for HD at the prosumer level at all. A camera in HD doesn't get rid of shoddy editing, wonky camerawork, poor use of the key camera settings, a bad script, a rubbish idea, poor acting or a whole list of other problems.

And considering that DVDs are still far out-selling BR's, it's not this "big whoop" some out there in the technology industry make it out to be. It's like with games - graphics only take you so far.
    Dvd's ar mastered from a source that is 4k or higher... It is not mastered from a sd source...with exception of movies such as 28days later....which was transferred to 35mm film.... HD cannot make a good movie...But a high resolution source can certainly make a good film more enjoyable.
    Last edited by CooperWasRight; 08-Mar-2010 at 12:56 PM.
    Among the Dead

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by CooperWasRight View Post
    Dvd's ar mastered from a source that is 4k or higher... It is not mastered from a sd source...with exception of movies such as 28days later....which was transferred to 25mm film.... HD cannot make a good movie...But a high resolution source can certainly make a good film more enjoyable.
    Still not agreeing with you there.

The first time I saw The Texas Chainsaw Massacre was on a fudgy 3rd or 4th generation dubbed VHS with mono sound, and it's one of the most memorable viewing experiences of my formative years.

It was never the same on DVD.

I refer back to my comment on videogame graphics.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK

The first time I saw The Texas Chainsaw Massacre was on a fudgy 3rd or 4th generation dubbed VHS with mono sound, and it's one of the most memorable viewing experiences of my formative years.

i think its different for different kinds of film. two examples i always use are the dark knight for blu ray and the japanese original version of 'ring' for cheap dvd or vhs.

One looks great on blu ray and for a big budget action film it just gives it a bit of an extra pop when you want to see all that action in the clearest way.

Then with ring, most horror really. the grain is not only part of the character, but also makes the image less clear, and its always what you mind puts together from what you see that scares you way more than a crisp clean "oh yeah, thats just a woman with cheap make up on"
    Last edited by Danny; 08-Mar-2010 at 12:10 PM.

Undisclosed

Why upgrade form vhs to dvd??? did you wait till the last vhs tape was produced to jump formats?..... Why do you even have a next gen system why not just keep playing 8bit games...Graphics don't always make the game...But it sure is strange that a excessively large number of the last several generations of consoles most universally acclaimed generally pushed the technologies envelope or was the zenith of the platform....hmmm.. Maybe a key factor is being over looked as part of the key... But gaming is neither here nor there.

It does come down to a matter of personal preference but I personally like viewing a film as close to the original source as possible. I watch most films in theater and if I don't I watch them in 1080p on my ISF calibrated 73".... I started in photography so I realize my sensitivity for visual aesthetic/quality is not shared with everyone... Some people are just fine watching a film at streaming youtube quality on there phone... Im also not big on low quality rips... I have be known to watch a few from time to time but it's just not my thing.

Also The texas chainsaw massacre was shot on 16mm... The format naturally has a rough look to it but it was intentionally emphasized and hooper wanted a pseudo doc look for the film...That's still on technical basis nearly 3x in definition and color wise what sd dv captures. It would be beyond watchable if it was shot on dv and you watched a 3rd or 4th gen vhs copy... Nothing is every gonna top the 1st time you see a film like tcm the 1st time...That film is built so much on mastery of audience manipulation its spell is to say the very least diminished upon further viewings.

The fact is that upscaling is a process that can only take something so far.(on a personal note I think its shit) And also it does depend what you are viewing the material on...A 4:3 crt things look acceptable up to about 27inches...Beyond that you start seeing artifacting and it only gets worst from there.... Again is is a matter of supposed taste...Some folks like pan and scan... I was always a letterbox fan.

sd vs hd is not simply about clarity of picture but we are talking about literally MILLIONS of colors that can not be displayed. If 35mm was the palm of your hand then even 1080p would be your thumbtip 480i is MAYBE your pinky finger nail.

---------- Post added at 02:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:52 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    i think its different for different kinds of film. two examples i always use are the dark knight for blu ray and the japanese original version of 'ring' for cheap dvd or vhs.

One looks great on blu ray and for a big budget action film it just gives it a bit of an extra pop when you want to see all that action in the clearest way.

Then with ring, most horror really. the grain is not only part of the character, but also makes the image less clear, and its always what you mind puts together from what you see that scares you way more than a crisp clean "oh yeah, thats just a woman with cheap make up on"
    This matter of grain has far more to do with post. Also there is no such thing as film grain in dv or any type of digital medium for that matter. Grain is from film grain... Ringu was shot and printed on 35mm.

The issue on what you can or cannot see (in what you were talking about) defaults to lighting/gaffer/dp/lens choice/cinematographer and consequentially goes all the way back to the director...Not sd vs film.... Ironically the MORE horizontal resolution you have the EASIER it is to hide imperfections...Such as make-up and practical effects... The problem is "jaggies"...The more horizontal resolution you have the smother the appearance you get. Making a far more ideal situation for your gaffer.
    Last edited by CooperWasRight; 08-Mar-2010 at 09:10 PM.
    Among the Dead

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Cooper is right, grain in DV is attributed to lighting, grain in film can also be attributed to poor lighting as well, but in most causes it is due to the stock itself. For DV it is more on the lighting side of the issue.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!