Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Stopping power 9mm vs .40

United States
    Keep in mind that most people robbing your house don't want trouble. They don't want there to be a chance of them being killed. This is why criminals target people that appear weaker on the street. There is less chance of the criminal being hurt or killed.

And always keep in mind: You must be in danger to kill someone and it will take an emotional and mental tole on you. This ain't a movie.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Skippy911sc View Post
    My intention is to protect my family not kill the intruder
    Agreed. Defense of family and myself is my only goal. Actions taken in this regard are not to be done without reason.
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

Canada
    wow alot of misinformation about loads, calibers and such, number 1 that pic of a glock 20 isnt a .40, it a 10mm not even in the same league

the 10mm is a evolved round after the fbi found the 9mm to be to small to use after the 1986 FBI Miami shootout.The 10 mm evolved into the .40, and the .45 was done away as the caliber is to large to subdue suspects, it considered a killing round aka a military round.

to even stress the point about 9mm, youll be very hard pressed to find any law enforcement weapons for sale by manufactures in 9mm, for the most part it been done away in favor of the .40sw and .45 .9mm is more of a sporting round. It be very apparent when the military does away with the m9.

For home protection for sure the 9mm and heres why , it easier caliber to control in small spaces, you can control your shots,( yea you maybe be shooting at a robber, but if u miss your shots, you could wind up hurting other people other than the robber) and high magazine capacity.Those examples actually give you a better tactical advantage.myself i can zero in the 9mm on a target faster than a .40 on multiple shots.

if it stopping power for sure the .40 over the 9mm, but when every second counts you would rather have a tactical advantage in a life or death situation.

honestly get a 12 guage, when people hear the cocking of the pump most people know that sound, even robbers lol
    Last edited by general tbag; 14-Mar-2010 at 10:51 PM.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by general tbag View Post
    wow alot of misinformation about loads, calibers and such, number 1 that pic of a glock 20 isnt a .40, it a 10mm not even in the same league

the 10mm is a evolved round after the fbi found the 9mm to be to small to use after the 1986 FBI Miami shootout.The 10 mm evolved into the .40, and the .45 was done away as the caliber is to large to subdue suspects, it considered a killing round aka a military round.

to even stress the point about 9mm, youll be very hard pressed to find any law enforcement weapons for sale by manufactures in 9mm, for the most part it been done away in favor of the .40sw and .45 .9mm is more of a sporting round. It be very apparent when the military does away with the m9.

For home protection for sure the 9mm and heres why , it easier caliber to control in small spaces, you can control your shots,( yea you maybe be shooting at a robber, but if u miss your shots, you could wind up hurting other people other than the robber) and high magazine capacity.Those examples actually give you a better tactical advantage.myself i can zero in the 9mm on a target faster than a .40 on multiple shots.

if it stopping power for sure the .40 over the 9mm, but when every second counts you would rather have a tactical advantage in a life or death situation.

honestly get a 12 guage, when people hear the cocking of the pump most people know that sound, even robbers lol
    After reading this, I think your gun "knowledge" comes from playing video games.
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

Twitching

Undisclosed
    The 10 mm evolved into the .40, and the .45 was done away as the caliber is to large to subdue suspects, it considered a killing round aka a military round.

Huh? So they shoot to wound with the 9mm and .40S&W?

It be very apparent when the military does away with the m9.
    Let us know when that happens. Apparently so far the U.S. military along with the rest of NATO has not realized that they're using a sporting round rather than a military round.

This is particularly ironic when you consider that the round is called 9x19mm Parabellum. Para bellum being Latin for "for war."
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria

United States
    Having fired both the 9mm with the Army (standard medic sidearm to compliment my M4a1/m16a2) and the .45

I personally feel more comfy with the 9mm Beretta 92fs then most other pistols, but thats probably because I've fired it more.
    "if wishs were fishes we'd all cast nets" - Gurney Hallack

Undisclosed
    I know of several people in the service who, when given the choice, decided not to carry a side arm because it was a 9. It meant, in there opinion, it did not have the stopping power they wanted, and they would have to keep another gun clean.

I did not think Arcades057 reasoning or knowledge came from a game, he has an opinion just like the rest of us. 10 mm is not the most common of calibers around. It sound like yojimbo probably has a shotty, mossberg I think he stated so the need for another one is mute. Go to a range, with the wife, and try all the calibers. Find one that best suites your need, it is a tool after-all.

I prefer the .45, because I have shot it so often, I also have the 357 in the nightstand because it is a wheel gun and works every time. I know of several departments that still issue 45s, in fact I saw one transition from 9 to 40 to 45 in a matter of a few years.

The caliber on chooses is much like the brand or type of gun they choose. I do not like the Glock or the polymer type guns but that is my opinion, and I kow of several who love them, that is theirs.

Try em out and let us know whet you wind up with, and don't forget the pictures!!!

United States
    I also have the 357 in the nightstand because it is a wheel gun and works every time.
    I must be the only person in the world of gun-owners who vehemently hates the revolver. That being said, I take nothing away from their reliability and ease of use; it's just a personal prejudice I have against them.

If you have a Myspace account, check out some of these links here of us blowing stuff up.

Me firing full-auto

Buddy shooting a .500 Nitro

Me shooting an asshole noisy-cricket

Us going through about 100 bucks in a second

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcades057 View Post
    I must be the only person in the world of gun-owners who vehemently hates the revolver
    I own one revolver--a Ruger Vaquero, single action, chambered for .45 Colt. I take it out to the range on those lazy days of summer. It takes me about an hour to go through a box of 50. Fun stuff!

http://www.ruger.com/products/vaquer...ss/models.html
    Mine has Rosewood grips, BTW.

-stray-

United States
    There might be a video floating around the net somewhere of me firing a pair of .45 Colt revolvers with cowboy loads at a pair of empty propane tanks (the rounds pancake on the thin metal; we found some after shooting that were the size of half-dollars).

I had a bad experience with one of these...

This POS is called the Llama Super Comanche, chamber in .357. They fizz up like a firework when the bullet fires off-center from the barrel.