Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 'Alien' Quadrilogy on Blu-Ray. GIMME!

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    Well, i might have to give it another watch then, because the theatrical cut didn't knock my socks off.

What's the most significant difference between the to cuts iyo?

Birth of the alien is different, new/extended characters and arcs, no chest burster at the end, enhanced CGI, etc. Just the general mood of the film is changed. Feels more like a clausterphobic thriller like the original.

United States
    When I first watched the alternate cut of Alien 3 back when the Quadrilogy was released, it really made me appreciate the film so much more. Ever since then, I really get irritated when the third film is trashed because it really holds up well and has become one of my favorite Sci-Fi flicks. Certainly, it's behind Alien and Aliens (my all-time favorite film), but still high on my list.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Yeah....it really is a different film. Just put on the "special edition marker" or whatever and you'll see that more than half the film has been replaced.
    More than half has been replaced?! Holy shit, what happened with the theatrical cut then?!

Well, that means this warrants another re-watching. I have my doubts, but I trust your guys opinions on this so I'll give it a shot.

I'm assuming this cut is widely available?

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    I'm assuming this cut is widely available?
    It's in the Quadrilogy set:

And also the 2 disc Collectors Edition of Alien 3:

As for the "half" comment - maybe that was a bit exaggerated. There is a TON of new footage in this film though. New beginning, new ending, new character storylines, etc. It's not one of those "unrated" cuts with only 60 seconds of alternate footage...
    Last edited by bassman; 11-Mar-2010 at 08:05 PM.

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Capn Dallow View Post
    Lou, to put it bluntly, it SHITS on the theatrical, and is as up there with the first two movies easily. You wont be disappointed.
    What he said.

Looking forward to this BD box set.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    What he said.

Looking forward to this BD box set.
    Now days, Blu ray is the only thing worth getting. I haven't bought a standard dvd in over 2 years man.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

England
    I've only had my BDP for just over a month, and only have 20 BD's, but I haven't bought a DVD since getting it...the future is Blu...they look so God damn good!

(it's gonna be a bit of a bastard having to gradually replace my entire DVD collection though).
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    (it's gonna be a bit of a bastard having to gradually replace my entire DVD collection though).
    That's something I don't necessarily agree with. I've re-purchased my favorites, but for the most part regular dvds look damn fine when up scaled. That's generally the argument I make to BR haters. You don't have to get rid of your dvds or re-buy them all on BR. They work just as well(better actually) in your BR player as they did in your dvd player...

England
    No, I have no objection to watching upscalled DVD's, my previous DVD player did that and it genuinely breathed new life into a lot of my collection, but I have a lot of movies in my DVD collection that I would really like to replace with BD's (I also have a lot of series like "Farscape", "B5", "Stargate SG1 & SGA", "Survivors" and a stack of comedy series that will probably never be available on BD anyway).

That said, if I can replace something with BD, I probably will.
    Last edited by Legion2213; 11-Mar-2010 at 08:39 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I too have found no need to buy movies i already have. However, when they are dirt cheap, as dawn and day were at best buy 2 weeks ago (12 bucks a pop) I just have to snatch them up.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    I too have found no need to buy movies i already have. However, when they are dirt cheap, as dawn and day were at best buy 2 weeks ago (12 bucks a pop) I just have to snatch them up.
    HA! Got mine for less than 10.

That's another good pro-BR argument. They're coming out dirt cheap these days. Some are even cheaper than standard DVD...

England
    I've seen reviews of some flicks I have on DVD and the BD's blow them away, I can't live knowing that things like "Zulu" and "The Fifth Element" are out there, looking fresh as a daisy and clear as a bell!

I'm a marketers wet dream...

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    But those are some of your favorite films, correct? That's what I've done. I've bought my absolute top 10-20 films on BR, but just kept the so-so favorites on up scaled dvd. It's been working out pretty well so far.

And with BR prices dropping every day it get's easier to buy the not-so-favorites should you choose.

England
    They are definitely becoming cheaper, I think Warner have stated flat out that they want people to buy/uptake BD's over DVD's and have done loads of deals. Over here in the UK, there seem to be three price brackets for BD

£6-£7 for unpopular/older releases
    £10 for middle of the road stuff
    £15-£18 for newer stuff.

And yeah, favorite movies are a priority at the moment.

United States
    Well, I FINALLY found someone with the Alien box set, so I'm set to check out this Assembly Cut of Alien 3 this weekend. I sure hope it's better than the theatrical version. I'm definitely going to give it a chance though, 'cause there was potential in that 3rd flick.