Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 'Alien' Quadrilogy on Blu-Ray. GIMME!

United States

'Alien' Quadrilogy on Blu-Ray. GIMME!

This is taking waaaay too long to come out. Although the news is a little old it is still nice to see that the Alien Quadrilogy will eventually come out on Blu-ray....someday...

Sigourney Weaver Avatar Interview Yields Aliens Blu-ray Scoop

December 14, 2009

Sigourney Weaver recently sat down with the LA Times to talk about her role as brash cigarette smoking botanist Grace Augustine in James Cameron's Avatar. Like any good reporter, interviewer Geoff Boucher made sure to ask Weaver what's next on her plate. The answer is just what Blu-ray adopters have been waiting for.

Sometime in the next few weeks, Sigourney will sit down and watch Alien, Aliens, Alien 3 and Alien: Resurrection to record new audio commentaries for the upcoming release of the Quadrilogy on Blu-ray Disc.

"I've never done that, watched all of them in a row," Weaver said. "I just recently made my [19-year-old] daughter watch them. She had never seen them before, believe it or not. I think she just prefers to think of me as good ol' mom, you know, not some person running around a spaceship with a flamethrower."

The Alien Quadrilogy should make its way to Blu-ray either to coincide with Avatar's Blu-ray debut or in November to time Black Friday and the busy holiday shopping season. The former would be preferred as it would put the coveted discs in our hands sooner rather than later. But all indications point towards this set hitting stores sometime in 2010.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Great news.
    I just wish they'd drop the made up word "quadrilogy". So annoying.
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    god, every time i see that on a box i want to get a sharpie and write tetroloy or quartet. the nonce-word on the aliens box sets always really bugs me way mroe than it should.

-and these are on my blu-ray list after the back to the future trilogy.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    shouldn't that be a threeology?
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    There are so many great series' and films yet to be released on BR. It's amazing it's taken them this long. Alien, BTTF, Indiana Jones, Star Wars, etc.

Well loved films like those are still waiting, but all kinds of cheap shit has gotten the BR treatment. It's crazy...

I actually just recently watched Alien - Alien 3 upscaled and it was pretty damn good looking.
    Last edited by bassman; 11-Mar-2010 at 01:21 PM.

United States
    Well, I personally hope they do take their time releasing this and other flicks. There is nothing worse than waiting for a HD release of a movie just to find out the jackasses at the studios used a crappy source (like the original DVD release) instead of restoring it like, for example, the way they did Carpenter's The Thing. THAT is an excellent example of how to restore a flick for HD! You can see individual snowflakes falling on a white background! (at least on my HD-DVD version you can). That movie looks like it was made last year, and the only way you can tell it wasn't was by their hairstyles and the computer MacCready was using to play chess. Otherwise, you'd be hard pressed to tell that movie is decades old.

I hope they do this with the Alien flicks, although to be honest, I really only think the first two are worthwhile (the 2nd one being the top-dog IMO).

The whole "quadrilogy" thing is stupid though. Meh, guess it's just a marketing gimmick or something, I dunno, but it does sound ridiculous.
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 11-Mar-2010 at 02:25 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    I hope they do this with the Alien flicks, although to be honest, I really only think the first two are worthwhile (the 2nd one being the top-dog IMO).
    Have you seen the Assembly Cut of Alien 3? It's

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    I'd love to see that cut, can you give us a spoiler free idea of what it's like?

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Capn Dallow View Post
    Longer, better looking, different birthing scene, fleshed out characterisation (ie. Golic), more intense and claustrophobic, etc. Very much like the first Alien in many ways.
    ^^

What he said.

Basically it just makes the theatrical cut look worse while at the same time shows that Alien 3 could've been a classic like the first two had the studio left David Fincher alone...

And since you asked for no spoilers, i'll just say that it cuts out a lot of the stupid shit that made the theatrical cut so irritating. I highly recommend this cut of Alien 3. As Capn said, it's similar to the original film.
    Last edited by bassman; 11-Mar-2010 at 03:02 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    As capn mentioned, I'm baffled that they cut out the character of Golic. In the theatrical cut, you see him go coo-coo for no apparent reason and then he disappears for the rest of the film. He actually plays a HUGE part in the Assembly Cut. Very cool part, might I add.

I wanna know who the asshole was that said, "we should have the alien come from a dog because Ox's are too big."

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Capn Dallow View Post
    I bet Paul McGann went to the premiere of Alien 3 with his family and said to them after, 'I'm telling you I was in that movie dammit!'
    I think he actually says that happened in the making-of doc. Something along the lines of "I had a hard time convincing my friends that I was in the film for more than just a cameo".

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Have you seen the Assembly Cut of Alien 3? It's
    I can't say I have, but now my interest is piqued. Is it really that much better than the theatrical cut? If so I might need to check it out.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Yeah....it really is a different film. Just put on the "special edition marker" or whatever and you'll see that more than half the film has been replaced.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Yeah....it really is a different film. Just put on the "special edition marker" or whatever and you'll see that more than half the film has been replaced.
    Well, i might have to give it another watch then, because the theatrical cut didn't knock my socks off.

What's the most significant difference between the to cuts iyo?

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Canada
    Now I have to go and watch the other cut as well, it's been a long while since I've seen Alien 3. I have the box set on DVD and now new commentaries on BR..Oh boy, I may have to buy the BR version just for the new commentaries