View Poll Results: What did you think of Survival of the Dead?

Voters
146. You may not vote on this poll
  • Loved it.

19 13.01%
  • Liked It.

53 36.30%
  • Meh, neither here nor there.

25 17.12%
  • Disappointed.

29 19.86%
  • Hated it.

20 13.70%
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: For those of you who **have seen** Survival of the Dead - - - opinion poll!

United States
    I loved it, but not for obvious reasons.

I felt George had more of himself in this and yeah, even if some of the humor was placed, his overt messages on society were toned down greatly from DiOTD.

I didn't mind the CGI as it used when needed is useful. It was a very fast paced shoot and he just didn't have all the time or money to do it. Disagree if you want but he didn't over use it and I felt there was just enough.

Some of the acting could have been better and some of the dialogue could have been tweeted but I felt it was an overall solid effort compared to some of the films I read reviews about.

Super Moderator

UK
    Interesting that there's not been a single person who has "hated it"...

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    And yet there are several threads not a million miles from this one that wouldn't be out of place on a 'IhateGreorgeRomeroszombiemovies.com' forum. Maybe people are too busy being shocked and appalled to vote...

Canada
    I haven't seen it but I voted "Loved it".

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    vampires vs zombies dude.

you cant hate any zombie film after that one.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    vampires vs zombies dude.

you cant hate any zombie film after that one.
    Have you not witnessed the sheer horror that was the Land VS Yawn04 threads?

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Have you not witnessed the sheer horror that was the Land VS Yawn04 threads?
    such an argument is irrelevant, vampires vs zombies is like the borg of zombie films, you cant NOT hate it. resistance is futile. land and dawn 04 are fucking masterpieces of cinema compared to vampires vs fucking zombies!

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    I voted "liked it".

I watched it again yesterday and yeah there are a few dodgy moments and a couple of things I just don't get....

like (get ready for spoilers) - O'Flynn killing his only surviving daughter at the end to prove a point? That got me...only reasoning I can come to was that he also saw the zombie twin take a bite out of the horse and killed his daughter to prevent the truth getting out...but really that was bizarre and unrealistic...totally didn't make sense...

Also the rednecks, with our group of protagonists shooting them first, felt like they were the bad guys and the rednecks were quite innocent in that situation really...so they stole the kid's stuff? Doesn't make me feel better that they were arbitrarily killed for nothing...

Did Muldoon's dead wife make that food??!?

Iphone advertising section = no.

the CGI gore = no...ESPECIALLY that unnecessary scene of the heads on sticks that somehow could use vocal chords that they no longer possess. And really, they ALL looked badly composited...awful. Just plain awful. I could have done better in After Effects myself.

And finally, some of the acting was just barely acceptable. Nothing evil like in Diary, which was made unwatchable by a bad script and terrible delivery, but some moments you could just tell were pulled off by failed or failing third rate extras who managed to get a starring role. Even Alan Van Sprang was pretty wooden in places, ie where he needed to show emotion.

Other than that I really enjoyed it. Some great moments that were funny and even a couple made me jump...some nice creepy moments too like the group discovering the dead chained up on the island...
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Being Attacked

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicX View Post
    like (get ready for spoilers) - O'Flynn killing his only surviving daughter at the end to prove a point? That got me...only reasoning I can come to was that he also saw the zombie twin take a bite out of the horse and killed his daughter to prevent the truth getting out...but really that was bizarre and unrealistic...totally didn't make sense....

I think ole George is playing with us a bit here....
    Up until that point, O'Flynn is ostensibly the good guy we're rooting for against Muldoon, the film's black hat.
    However, in offing his own kin, we see that Patrick is just as stubborn, and just as fatally tied to his own sense of pride as the film's chief villain.
    At least that's how I saw it.
    I thought it was a neat little twist.

Your other obsverations are also spot on.
    I liked it too, but I keep finding myself thinking of ways the movie that could have been improved - never a good sign.
    With a little more TLC toward the script, this could have easily bested "Land" I think.
    Last edited by ChokeOnEm; 29-Mar-2010 at 03:13 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    That's exactly why the terms good/evil are so subjective.

It all depends on your point of view.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Super Moderator

UK
    O'Flynn is clearly so doggedly one-tracked in his approach to the problem - as shown at the start of the film - that he'll set aside his personal emotions for his daughter to kill her after she's been bitten.

Likewise, Muldoon is so doggedly one-tracked in his approach to the problem.

I liked that whole aspect of the film, and I loved how it played out at the end - the sense of absolute, 100% futility.

United States
    I haven't seen it yet (soon) but I'll work on hating it.
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.

England
    Voted Like it, I quite enjoyed it, but disagreed with the horse eating scene at the end - and the horse riding zombie!

I thought O'Flynn killed his daughter to stop her telling them her sister bit the horse, which would prove that Muldoon was right.

EDIT: Remembered to add this bit a bit late.

Anybody think that the imposter cops from Dawn might end up on this island?

I would like to think so...
    Last edited by dracenstein; 31-Mar-2010 at 10:49 PM.
    "and I looked and beheld, a zombie stamped with the number of the Beast"

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by dracenstein View Post
    Voted Like it, I quite enjoyed it, but disagreed with the horse eating scene at the end - and the horse riding zombie!

I thought O'Flynn killed his daughter to stop her telling them her sister bit the horse, which would prove that Muldoon was right.
    He killed her as part of a nod to the start with the "and what about me? if i were bit would you shoot me da?" line, as for zombies eating other stuff in the diary universe then cool, makes for a nice more agreeable twist to the mythos. Zombies that eat anything like a goddamn wave over a town. no birds. no pets. no people. everything picked clean.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    would love to see a zombie eat a bird...how that tramp got a pigeon in Shaun of the Dead I'll never figure out...
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.